Author Topic: HELP NEED URGENT :(  (Read 16135 times)

Offline langersG40

• Members
HELP NEED URGENT :(
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:51:47 pm »
Hi everyone,

I maybe purchased a G40 soon, im not new to VDub ownership but am new to G40 ownership, always wanted one for years, this one is not mint, the superchargers not been touched at all ::) and its done 150k regularly serviced as far as im aware BUT the chargers never been overhaulled?? this worrys me alot as i dont know nothing about G40s
are they easy to rebuild and service yourself? are part expensive? any hints and tips on G40 ownership?
I took it from a test drive and it seemed a bit flat not as quick as i thought it would be, it is completely standard is this how they are?
once well serviced etc, what would be a good place to start in light engine tweaks etc to make a noticable differents

any help and advise to a Could be new G40 owner i would be most grateful

many thanks

langers ;)

;D
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 06:21:08 pm by langersG40 »

Offline AlexG40

• Members
Re: help for new G40 owner
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 12:36:01 am »
Chargers can be serviced for about £3-400 last time I looked, not many places that do it but if you're handy with some spanners you can do it yourself for much less. 

Tuning wise most G40's that aren't left stock are treated to the following basic modifications:

Ported Charger
Smaller Charger Pulley (Sometimes with a toothed belt kit to replace the 2 v-belts and prevent slippage)
Exhaust
Induction Kit
Chip

This lot will get you between 130-150 bhp depending on what you go for and how much you're prepared to spend.

As for the performance of the car you drove, hard to say over t'internet You'd be best to find someone with a G to go with you...

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 09:19:10 am »
welcome to the forum!

There is an FAQ by PeteG40 on how to service the charger yourself.  Have a read of that and then decide if it's a job you fancy tackling.  If you are wanting the charger porting then you need to send it off to someone like Jabbasport really, I wouldn't attempt porting yourself, you're more likely to get it wrong than right or even ruin the charger.

As for feeling flat, impossible to say over the internet.  It'd be worth getting a vagcom lead, checking for fault codes and getting it on a gas analyser to check the fuelling.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:23:57 am »
my faq is only currently dismantling the charger...

when i have time, i shall be doing
1. assessing for wear
2. fitting bearings and seals.
3. reassembly

Offline tdh-syorks

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:26:54 am »
Hi mate, If you look under the superchargers / g-lader section on here, PeteG40 sells rebuild kits for £185, he will also rebiuld it for a little extra, he has done many and knows what he's on about. If your brave enough have a crack yourself, I did my own and had no problems whatsoever, there is a guide somewhere on here by matey matey based on a G60 charger, the chargers differ slightly but the rebuilds pretty much the same.

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 12:06:51 pm »
thanks for the info guys, i was thinking i wonder if it could be losing boost due to the seals being the originals etc so excited about owning a G40 im like a big kid around my house at the mo, i hope he sells it to me.

ttfn

Langers ;D

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 09:01:07 pm »
Hi dude, my charger didnt have its first rebuild until 193k and it still performed, but its a good idea to get it rebuilt anyway.
Look around for boost leaks also, i have found the small pipe down to the isv usually splits for example. The car should be able to impress anyone, even when standard so something doesnt sound right! lol
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 09:02:51 pm by Turbodaily »

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 11:22:07 pm »
Well i pick it up at the weekend hopefully ;) so will properly drive it and let you know what i think. soooo looking forward to G40 ownership. just a quick question standard they are 113bhp with just a 68mm pulley fitted what does that bump it up to?

ttfn
chris

P.S will upload so photos when i collect it

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 11:27:42 pm »
well i got it here it is. does anyone know where i can get

a set of smoked rear lights,

a set of front clear indicators

a G40 front grill badge

a rear polo G40 badge

and a rear bumper

any help i would be most gratful

ttfn

Langers :D

after cleaning the engine today just need to paint the Rocker cover

started to clean underneath today as well pleased with the results ;D

wheels before

After wheels are cleaned

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:13:23 pm by langersG40 »

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
Re: i have my G40 wow !!!
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 01:28:53 am »
Looks a decent standard example.

Club Polo or ebay are your best bet for lights and bumpers. Badges are much harder to come by, occasionally on ebay, and ebay.de always seems to have a few, but prepare to pay ££s.

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2010, 12:52:35 pm »
thanks yeah she's nice standard example, just want those bits to tidy her up!!! thanks for  the tip off ;D

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 12:58:46 pm »
Think its Dknight on here who makes the rear badge stickers. Lot less likely to be pinched. Rear badges can be brought new. They're roughly £57 minus postage.

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 07:57:17 pm »
where are the badges new??? tried vw today and its obsulate :(

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 11:22:39 pm »
Looks like a nice honest car that! And one of the first (mk3) too!

Dont worry about the cosmetics for now, put the money into getting the charger rebuilt or some a new fuel pump to save you melting a piston, cos believe me, you dont want to join that club! lol

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 08:34:30 pm »
yeah need to get the charger rebuilt!! what do you mean about the fuel pump???? ???