Author Topic: HELP NEED URGENT :(  (Read 16222 times)

Offline G40supercharged

• Members
Re: i have my G40 wow !!!
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 11:25:39 pm »
Welcome to G40 ownership! Looks like a good car; not been messed with, my favourite colour and H plate so you can legally remove the catalytic convertor.

I fitted a plain 'Polo' badge on the back of both of my G40s (one already had the rear badge stolen when I got it). The badge was only about a fiver from VW and fits in the 2 holes that the PoloG40 badge uses. I cleaned off the silver paint with fine emery paper and T cut so it was plain black. It stops anyone nicking a £50 G40 badge and less chance of the car getting stolen as well.

Rear bumper is the same as any other Mk3 coupe (but different to the hatchback). The red strip is just stuck on and you can get a suitable sized trim tape from Halfords.

I would give it a good service first and get a charger rebuild if its not had one. After that fit a smaller pulley, K&N 57i induction kit, and generic ECU chip to get around 125-130bhp. All easy to fit and only about £150. The pulley has more effect than any other mod you can do. The cone filter also makes a big difference on a G40 as the stock air box has a restriction in the outlet. You can just remove the restriction if you don't like the noise of the cone filter. There is a VW factory decat pipe available which was about £70 last time I bought one.

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
Re: My new G40 new pics added today on Page 1
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 09:52:56 pm »
Fuel pumps are prone to not working properly, causing it to lean out and melt pistons. Very common problem, i myself have melted 2 pistons in 5 years! lol And lots of other people have to. Not trying to scare monger you into it btw mate! Just letting you know from my experience so far 8)

Offline gavin.starr

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2010, 02:29:46 pm »
What did you use on your wheels to bring them up like that

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2010, 03:02:23 pm »
They look like they've looked after to be fair. Just noticed, get those awful outside wheel weights off!

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2010, 08:32:52 pm »
What did you use on your wheels to bring them up like that

Blackberry wheel cleaner mate they were in a shitty condition before its very good stuff!!!

Offline langersG40

• Members
If it dont rain it pours!!!!! Still having running issues please help
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2010, 08:54:23 pm »
Right first driving the car this morning running fine til i was sat in traffic and the revs started to climb (to around 1500 rpm) car was at working temp ish, ive have fitted new blue ECU and a black two pin temp gauge sender. any help or light on the revs picking up i would be most gratful

on to my next job, thought i replace the thermostat today BIG MISTAKE lol two bolts easy job.......... ohhhh no basically new housing is needed i believe this is a common fault???? will try nd sort it out tomorrow.

and lastly ordered a new gear ever gaitor off Ebay as VW wated £110 quid ??? any way got it today not bad for £14 quid delivered but just wanted to know what the original ones quality was like??? has any one got any photos please so i have something to compare it to
many thanks

regards

Chris

P.S i still love my G40 lol ;D

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
Re: If it dont rain it pours!!!!! Still having running issues please help
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 10:30:31 pm »
on to my next job, thought i replace the thermostat today BIG MISTAKE lol two bolts easy job.......... ohhhh no basically new housing is needed i believe this is a common fault???? will try nd sort it out tomorrow.

It is s common fault. The plastic gets brittle and cracks.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2010, 08:04:36 am »
Or you have rounded bolts too. >:(   ;D

hmm, increase in idle rpm could be blue CTS u/s (can happen even though its new), slight vac leak, sticky isv poss?

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2010, 06:15:47 pm »
 HA yeah lol, bloody nightmare but all sorted now, but the idling problem is still bugging me!!! now it revs up and down sat in traffic from 1000 to 1500rpm weird. really a new Blue CTS could cause that really? is the ISV sat under the inlet manfold? whats the best thing to do soak it i brake cleaner???? if it was sticky isv valve surely it would just cut out??

any help guy i would be most gratful

cheers

Langers ;)

Offline Turbodaily

• Members
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2010, 06:47:21 pm »
Ignition timing maybe? mark the dizzy up and have a play with it.

Or the idle switch on the tb is a good one, my car used to hunt on idle all the time, had to make it settle using the clutch biting point and the brakes! lol. There was a slight bit of resistance in the switch, which basicly gave the ecu the hump and caused it to have all sorts of idle problems. Worth checking your WOT switch while your there too

Offline BIG E

• Members
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 07:14:02 pm »
Hi You can get both front and rear genuine vw badges from watercooledshop on e bay. the company are based in germany. i have just bought a set myself. Best of luck Big E.

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 08:40:51 pm »
Cheers fellas ;)

thanks Big E will give that ago

Turbodaily thanks mate will give it a go, doesnt the ECU control the timing??? or not ?? and what is a WOT switch mate??

Offline elijah

• Validating Members
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2010, 02:03:19 pm »
I had a similar probelm on my g40 that bugged me for months which was the revs dropping.  Turned out to be fault code that had not been reset.  I had changed the blue sensor, cleaned out isv, replaced any dodgy hoses etc.  Another likely candidate is the dizzy/hallsender.
Great cars but they can be very frustrating.

Offline langersG40

• Members
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2010, 05:45:04 pm »
thanks mate will give it a go!!! it also cuts out sometimes as well >:(

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2010, 06:07:00 pm »
Try the idle screw on the back of the throttle body. Mine was revving itself up and down at idle (very frustrating) for months and it went with a tweak on the idle screw.