Author Topic: Starter not working full stop!  (Read 5380 times)

Offline G40 AD

• Members
Starter not working full stop!
« on: March 17, 2010, 11:39:01 am »
hey guys n gals,

having trouble with my starter motor... its weak when turning over from cold (can take up to three turns when weathers really cold)
but the main issue is that once the engine is hot the starter is too weak to turn over the car, sounds like a flat bat (quite possible)!
I have wondered if the alternator is not quite living up to the task in hand...

from searching on here i gather that cleaning up the terminals is a good start and testing the battery, can someone tell me what readings i should be expecting across the battery when running and when not.

This happened after my last engine rebuild and i replaced the starter motor and it solved the problem... until now!!!

any suggestions welcomed!

Cheers

Ad

« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 11:29:09 am by G40 AD »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Starter not working when hot!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 01:18:52 pm »
test the battery, see what the voltage reads when cranking the starter.  Test the big power cable from the battery to the starter. well more a case of just look at the condition of it really!  Replace the starter if both those are ok.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:23:07 pm »
cheers hayesy

should i expect to see 12v on both readings?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 12:45:56 pm »
at least yeah.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
Re: Starter not working AT ALL!!!
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:22:39 pm »
no longer starting even from cold!

have checked and cleaned up the connection to the battery and starter... no joy...
changed the starter motor 3 times now so confident it isnt the actual starter motor... guess the only issue could be that the non G40 starter motors will not work although i have changed previously for another starter that to my knowledge was not a G40 one but could have been.

It really sounds like a flat battery but never seems to die completely... alternator looks messy covered in gunk so who know what its like inside... again cleaned/renewed connections to alternator too...

the earth by the charger is the original but looks in fine condition...

What timing would you expect to see as standard??

any pointers welcome!!!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:45:46 pm »
does it turn over? or just click?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 02:51:16 pm »
so what voltage do you see across the battery?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 03:04:23 pm »
ps starters arent g40 specific

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 06:02:38 pm »
turns over but very weekly...(just like a flat bat when holding the key it turnsover then goes silent then turns again and so on)
cheers for the heads up on non specific starters... (do you know if the alternators are i think they are)
just going to test battery voltage and voltage when running...

George (aka Rolo) has advised i run an extra, thick earth from the negative to a point near to the starter.
anyone recommend a good point to do so to guessing idont want it to the actual starter itself?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 06:11:19 pm »
tbh, sounds like a shit battery/alternator to me - alternator isnt common with other polos but is common with some weird and wonderful other stuff in the vw range.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 06:52:19 pm »
scirocco glx alternator is exactly the same as g40. £37 brand new of eBay - allllllright:-)
if it was doing it when hot- check the wire going from the alternator to the starter. it runs along the sump and the plastic goes manky near the clips and you may find the wire has frayed near them potentially causing a short. I replaced this cable on mine when I first bought the car as it had a hot start problem and it turned out to be this very cable doin what I just described.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 08:42:21 pm »
didnt manage to get a multi-meter on it tonight...

will be sure to check out my wiring again... whats the best thing to re-wrap the wiring in to protect it from the sump...
anyone know if the plastic casing from the afh that clips roundthe sump would fit the same?

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 09:08:56 am »
all the plastic does is protect the wire from both the heat and the snagging on what are crap clips. so you just need a semi flexible plastic tube. so if the AFH has the same sort of method - use it!
you will more likely then not find that after years of getting hot and cold- hot and cold that that plastic is fubar and the clips. may not solve the problem - but it might do!

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 09:13:10 am »
cant do any harm to do it... will get this sorted at the weekend... god my list for this weekedn is building very quickly!
has made me think that ever since i picked her up 3years ago the clock on the dash has intermitently reset when starting! so guess itcould be shorting!

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 09:32:52 am »
if it resets every now and then you do have a short mate - where ever it may be!