Author Topic: cv joint snapped  (Read 940 times)

Offline curtisg40

• Members
cv joint snapped
« on: July 05, 2011, 05:13:23 pm »
snapped a cv joint at the weekend so far i have stuck it on axle stands and have undid every bolt apart from the six bolts on the inner cv can anyone shed some light into what tool i need to get them off and how
thanks

Offline ereeiz

• Members
Re: cv joint snapped
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 05:26:09 pm »
M8 multispline. Not a torx, not a star headed what not, not an allen bolt or a socket. Some numpties try and sell you the wrong bits if you're not sure what you're after.

If you've ruined them and aren't able to use the M8 tool then I'd suggest a multi sided (not sure the proper name) 12mm socket. The type with the internals like this;

You can tap it on the outside of the head, although it's only really a last resort as it ruins the bolt and i think they're a VW only part. used on everything across the VAG range though so scrappies should have loads. if you try and use a 6 sided socket you probably won't have much luck as it doesn't bite.

You may find it easier to use a couple of extensions to reach. Also, clean the head out with WD40 or scrape it out then tap the multispline in else you stand a good chance of rounding it off.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 05:30:50 pm by ereeiz »