Author Topic: Fuel tank replacement  (Read 1677 times)

Offline dru

• Members
Fuel tank replacement
« on: July 06, 2011, 01:48:39 pm »
What experience have people had with replacement fuel tanks? Have been quoted £250 + VAT for a VW one. What are the non VW like as a fit, and quality?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Fuel tank replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 01:57:31 pm »
not the best but they're about £65 so well worth it in my opinion.

The problem is the filler neck wont quite line up right, I "adjusted" mine by poking a broom handle down it and bending it into the right location.  Other than that it's fine.  It also needs a decent coating in some anti-rust paint and underseal.  I got mine from fueltanksdirect.co.uk, it was a few years ago now though.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:03:51 pm »
same for me, but I can't remember what I used to tickle the filler neck into line. Lots of time and swearing I think. A real pain in the ass job in my opinion and would gladly pay someone to do it next time, think I've done 3 and had a nightmare everytime.

Offline dru

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:18:26 pm »
Cool, cheers guys. I've been looking on ebay and found this one from germany. Anybody used these guys before. It says the tank comes with a 10 year warranty which should be a good piece of mind.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PETROL-FUEL-TANK-INJECTION-VW-VOLKSWAGEN-POLO-86C-MK3-/230638815673?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35b32509b9

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:34:35 pm »
looks exactly the same as the fuel tanks direct one.  No way it'll last anywhere near 10 years without a good coating of anti-rust paint and/or underseal.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 03:45:56 pm »
Got mine recently from gsf,£75 ish plus vat fits well had to bend a bracket on the filler neck so it didn't could the trunion bracket for the axle also one of the hose stubs either to short or in the wrong place by a few mm so try all pipes fitting as the tanks has to be removed to adjust the hose that goes through the rear quater.
  And I stripped all old paint of mine usingoven and sand paper then metal ready then por15 may underseal but por 15 is probably good enough !