Author Topic: Starter not working full stop!  (Read 5381 times)

Offline G40 AD

• Members
Re: Starter not working full stop!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 10:16:11 pm »
can anyone give me a heads up on how to test the ignition switch?
just to be clear it is trying to turn over but very weakly does sound just like a flat bat...!
cheers...

Offline carlos

• Members
Re: Starter not working when hot!
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2010, 10:22:40 pm »
son las escobillas del alternador
el aparato que se encarga de cargar la bateria

Offline G40 AD

• Members
Re: Starter not working when hot!
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:38 am »
son las escobillas del alternador
el aparato que se encarga de cargar la bateria
translated =
"they are the brushes of the alternador the apparatus that takes charge of charging the bateria"

the battery is not the problem, we used it on a different car yesterday and it was fine!

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 10:43:33 pm »
quick update,
noticed that the bracket that hold the lambada/alternator clips on the inlet was loose so cleaned up earths and surfaces and tightened. (sounded mildly stronger after this)
tried running an earth from the bat to the rocker/inlet no joy

looked at the bat on a polo coupe 1.0l fox anditappears to have two brown wirestothe negative and four red to the positive whereas mine (see below) only has one brown and three red, is this correct?

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2011, 12:05:37 am »
Still facing this issue!

Tried tonight;
-6n starter and wiring - starter turned quickly but does not engage to fly wheel!
-two mk3 polo starters - both cranked once and gave nothing more after that (note battery just taken off my other G40 which starts everytime with no issues)
-Check over mk3 wiring for any breaks etc... all looks fine
-Turned enging over by hand with no odd noises or difficulty

Losing the will now! Got loads of proper jobs to be doing on it this weekend and this is really bugging me!

In the morning I am going to re-check earths, swap the starter and wiring from my running G40 and see what happens.

Can anyone suggest any other angles to try???

Does this sound like it could be a symptom of the radio ign. switch feed shorting somewhere? no radio in it at present but guess this wouldnt stop shorting occuring if the wiring is at fault...

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2011, 01:01:15 am »
If you've not already, isolate the starter and start from the minimum and work your way up.

1st - Using jump cables (earth on starter case, live on solenoid bolt fitting) and a thick wire (from the solenoid bolt fitting to the spade connector on the solenoid, closest to the engine block when fitted), test the starter function from the battery in the car, with the starter not mounted to the block - secure it on the floor with a foot as it can give quite a kick... The starter will 'fire' when you put live on the solenoid spade connector, assuming it has earth and live too.

If this works then:
Fit the starter, but do not connect any wires from the car - use your jump cables and the thick wire to test the starter, make sure you use one of the jump cables as an earth onto the starter case.

If this works then you have a problem with the vehicle wiring somewhere.
First, remove the earth jump lead and see if it still starts when you put live on the solenoid spade connector

If this works, then re-connect the spade connector on the solenoid that goes to the ignition switch and try to start using the key

If this works then remove your live jump cable from the battery to the solenoid bolt fitting and re-fit the live wire from the battery clamp, but not the one from the alternator.

If this works, then refit the wire from the alternator

Hopefully you'll find that at the start of these troubleshooting steps when you're not using any of the vehicles wiring, the starter will work ok, but at some point along these steps it will stop working. If this happens it will point to the problem.

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2011, 09:48:44 am »
thanks mate - will jump on that now! wiring isnt my favourite game and this sounds like a good bit of advice to follow! much appreciated!

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2011, 10:06:44 pm »
Any updates dude, I'm keen to know what the problem was?

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2011, 09:30:06 am »
Could be the ignition switch.

i would go with this, me and pete had the same problem with a G40 many moons ago, as a last resort we tried the ignition switch. I have a spare i can post to you if you want.

Dead easy to swap, just undo the plastic cowelling and there is a screw on the back of the barrel unscrew it and the switch slides out.

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2011, 11:02:13 am »
My money's still on starter bush in the gearbox as per PMs etc ;)

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2011, 11:32:38 am »
Having read all that I'd go for a wiring/ earth fault. I'd rip the lot out and put new earths everywhere. Use the multimeter on resistance mode to check how much each cable resists and use the continuity setting to find out if any +ve's are shorting out (give them a good wiggle!) although I'd expect fuses to blow/ cable sheathing to melt/smoke if it were shorting (normally)