Author Topic: Yoof's Turbo  (Read 211982 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Re: Yoof's Turbo
« Reply #420 on: April 22, 2015, 10:21:09 pm »
I think that the lack of reactions is just because people are speechless.  ;D
I dont comment because I'm so jealous.

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #421 on: April 23, 2015, 10:31:07 am »
I think you may have voided any warranty the subframe had  :)

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #422 on: April 23, 2015, 10:32:14 am »
This car just gets better and better.
The insane fabrication and work gone into this just shows you can do something different IF you know what your doing! Where as am just a plumber so i think al stick to the normal mods lol
Keep up the good work mate

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #423 on: May 08, 2015, 07:21:26 am »
Cheers all- final push now, getting married in 5 weeks, and really want it as my wedding car. Got a trackday booked a few weeks after that too...

My first problem was the flywheel/starter interface. I had made a few assumptions:

- Polo crank palm geometry was the same as a Golf in relation to the block/gearbox mounting face
- Added an adapter plate into the mix (moving gearbox 10mm further from the crank palm)
- Starter and clutch engagement would be fine  :-X

So, once mocked up the starter did not have enough throw to engage, it was 12mm short (about the thickness of that adapter plate then...!)

With that in mind I was concerned about needing a bespoke flywheel- I've tried to retain OEM or off the shelf parts as much as possible. Handy for spares in the future, and often alternatives are available, such as engine mounts, with can be swapped for softer items should they be required.

Whilst doing some internet geeking, I came across Epytec, a German company- who offered a very light G60 esque flywheel, and an adapter ring (14mm) for a 02M conversion whilst maintaining the lighter fly I believe. Anyway, parts duly ordered, CAD station shutdown, and brews consumed.

Parts arrived:

So, onto the scales with you lot:

Polo G40 PY Lightened flywheel:

Polo G40 Helix Paddle Clutch:

Golf G60 Lightened Flywheel:

Golf VR6 Clutch:

EPYTEC Golf G60 Flywheel:

So, totals look like this:

Polo G40 Lightened Flywheel & Helix Clutch: 8.38kg
Golf G60 Lightened Flywheel & VR6 Clutch: 13.37kg
EPYTEC Flywheel & VR6 Clutch: 9.87kg

So 1490g on the mass of flywheel/clutch - which is still lighter than a stock G40 setup I believe, inertia clearly different as Golf components are larger. But for now, I'm happy it's ballpark. Engine response and characteristics shouldn't change drastically.

I have also cracked on and painted the bay with Halfrauds paint and 2k lacquer, although I think I've sprayed the car in too low an ambient, the lacquer hasn't gone off properly and can be marred easily. No biggie, but frustrating.

I also cut and shut the downpipe and exhaust to accommodate the new engine angle, this took a full day (10hrs) of mocking up, tacking, removing, and then finally fully welding. My stainless MIG isn't pretty, but it'll be covered in exhaust wrap. Also remade the rear hanger, so that's another few big jobs off the list.

And for me the most satisfying part, bolting things on that aren't designed for a Polo, win!

Cheers

Pete

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #424 on: May 11, 2015, 07:46:29 am »
New alternator time- old one is too large to mount under the inlet manifold, so I ordered a Brise 60A one, it's a little lighter too, goes some way to offsetting the 02J/085 weight gain.

And then knocked up a bracket out of L-section, mounts off some redundant holes on the back of the block. Need to get the crank pulley back from a friend so I can work out where to put the tension arm. It *just* clears the steering arm  ;)

Cheers

Pete

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #425 on: May 17, 2015, 09:07:39 pm »
So, got everything bolted together today, and the golf starter to turn the polo engine over, result! Need 2mm removing from the flywheel spacer, but that can be done this week. Full steam ahead!

Alternator now finished, just need a longer belt and job's a good 'un  ;D

My new shiny bottom pulley, big thanks to my mate Jake who knocked this up after work, clever chap!

I then added a couple of rose joints and piece of threaded bar to tension the belt with:

Lots of small jobs to now complete, hopefully this will be the last time the engine is in/out for a few weeks.

I've also had cut another adapter plate with more clearance, and drilled that this morning, all fitted fine, just waiting for some fresh fastners to arrive, and then it can get built back up properly.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #426 on: May 26, 2015, 12:32:52 pm »
So, a busy weekend of car related activities, first job was to lower the daily!

Set of KW Inox V2 coilovers:

And one lowered Audi:

However, it's settled a fair bit, so needs raising up again.

On to the real stuff, new adapter plate and engine/gearbox mating!

Larger hole for sump/end plate clearance:

Sambo's thread about flywheel bolts was very timely, I ordered some Toureg Diesel bolts:

The adapter plate between the crank palm and flywheel had 2mm turned off it (thanks Jake) standard runout was 7microns, post machining was 10, so happy with that.

Next up the VR6 Sachs clutch, stock for now, will probably upgrade to an organic clutch when I go hydraulic MC in the future:

Now time t get jiggy with the engine crane, a twisty chair, and some grunt, bit of spit and they're bolted up nicely:

Then plop it in the bay, it went in from the top, with a little paint damage, and several swears. Would be easier with two people for sure!

It's in! The Bastard.

Offline mark_crox

• Members
  • www.mk2polo.co.uk
« Reply #427 on: May 26, 2015, 03:58:19 pm »
top stuff! :)

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #428 on: May 26, 2015, 04:12:36 pm »
Tick........tock.

Offline woody02

• Members
« Reply #429 on: May 30, 2015, 05:34:51 pm »
this build just gets better! brilliant stuff yoof. 

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
« Reply #430 on: May 30, 2015, 09:49:14 pm »
Staggering stuff this car.

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #431 on: May 31, 2015, 10:24:14 am »
Really great to see some 1st class fab on this!  Be good to see it in action!

Ref: the TeamGuru Derby!  Had no idea you had it?   Still fitted with the KR engine or was it given a motorcycle engine (saw a youtube vid of Mathers driving one)?

How's your Uni project Mk1 Polo Berg Cup doing? Still going strong?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #432 on: June 01, 2015, 07:05:46 am »

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #433 on: June 01, 2015, 12:50:46 pm »
I never doubted you for a second!  ;)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #434 on: June 01, 2015, 02:34:15 pm »
Really great to see some 1st class fab on this!  Be good to see it in action!

Ref: the TeamGuru Derby!  Had no idea you had it?   Still fitted with the KR engine or was it given a motorcycle engine (saw a youtube vid of Mathers driving one)?

How's your Uni project Mk1 Polo Berg Cup doing? Still going strong?
The Mk1 got sold to Kustom on here - he's got a build thread up.

We had the Derby for a bit, tarted it up a lot and now it's been sold to someone who will use it in the VWDRC - possibly with a blown VR6 in it. Still had a 9A when we had it, though it got a KR cam upgrade and a remap of the G60 Digifant more suited to n/a use than the SNS Stage5 G60 map it originally had!!