Author Topic: G40 out after 10 year  (Read 1322 times)

Offline gaz g40

• Members
G40 out after 10 year
« on: August 25, 2023, 08:31:34 am »
So brief history... bought the car roughly 13 years ago from Dan Knight. I instantly fell in love with the charger noise.
I used it as a daily and went to two shows one at elsecar winning best polo and the other in Holland winning 2nd best in mk2f category.

That winter I had the idea to rebuild the engine with a 1341 motor.... bottom end was forged with wossner and PEC parts then being linked with a BVH it was in for a good spec. The usual mods got added g60 injectors full blend charger PPP 4 branch and system fmic 51mm TB etc. For that the engine bay got stitch welded stage 3 subframe got bolted on along with wilwood 4 pots quiffe diff and KW coils.
But work got stupidly busy and the car got stored in a unit an left.
After buying a house the first thing was to build a garage to get the polo home.
 So thats what I did and yep she say in there untouched until this year.
I hooked up for a friend's birthday who used to own a g40 conversion and got talking to some one who owns a g40 conversion so the flame was lit
In June I had a week off and started on the polo doing the normal service stuff and making sure it was ready to fire up

Yoof hooked me up with some ecu wizardry and she was alive.

Yesterday I took her out of the garage and down the road to see what needed doing for the MOT. Few noises and rattles but nothing major.

The kids loved seeing it so made it that bit more special
So going on I'll keep updating on here as we all used forums back in the day, this forum helped me buy loads of stuff and make friends for life
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 09:10:54 am by gaz g40 »

Offline gaz g40

• Members
Re: G40 out after 10 year
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 09:24:56 am »
So in between firing her up and taking her out for a spin, I had the charger god Pete cast his eye over my charger with me

My ally rad turned up, wrong fitment for the mk2f fan switch but my dad drilled it out and tapped a new thread.

I decided where I wanted my gauges for boost, oil pressure and wideband

An the best thing was cleaning 10 years of dust off with some very keen kids. From the beginning they've been lurking round when ever I've been under or in the car. Passing me stuff an bringing me brews. It's been a pleasure

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 07:23:44 pm »
Little bit of progress today, striped out the kw v1 coils overs ready for some new strut top mounts to go on.
Also fitted the fogs and loom that I've had for years

Not much more now to do until the strut top mounts come

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2023, 10:02:54 am »
So yesterday I took the g40 for it's first MOT in 10 year. I told no one, I even took the ring door bell off so the wife wouldn't see.
She passed with a couple of advisories that I expected.
Soon as she passed I went to the wife's work to suprise her but unfortunately she heard me before she saw me.
I then spent about 2 hours just driving around and re living my youth. The smiles, waves and points from people I got was awesome but the g smile thrill just made it for me. So hopefully I'll get her out more often now then over the winter get the advisories sorted

Offline Rich_Royal

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2023, 11:08:56 pm »
Nice looking car, is it royal blue? I was going through the register a few months ago trying to work out how many might be left on the road that colour, came to the conclusion mine was possibly the only one not currently sorn so it's good to see another back out and about.

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2023, 09:42:20 pm »
Hi mate thanks for the kind words. Yes she's royal blue under all the dust from being in the garage.
On the register I'd say mine will still be under Huddersfield from Dan.
Got a few jobs to do over winter then hopefully spring time I'm going out to enjoy her.