Author Topic: What clutch do i get? help needed badly  (Read 8119 times)

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
Re: What clutch do i get? help needed badly
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2012, 09:02:39 am »
i have and know of a few people who just ran the helix spinner inside a standard cover plate and have always been fine.

the thing with the polo paddle clutches is they still have springs in them, which does make them more progressive. other cars i've driven have no springs in the plate which are normally the ones you hear of being "like a switch" they are very on/off and a pain to drive in traffic

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:33 am »
well im swaying more towards a paddle one at the moment, and my mate who used one daily in his 250bhp glanza said they arent as bad as people make out, just a bitch to get used to at first, which is pretty much what you guys are saying

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 11:44:01 am »
well it's a matter of opinion. I have one in my polo and have for years, I'd not put up with it daily.  Can you get your mate to let you have a go and see what you think?

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 12:02:59 pm »
I often drive a Starlet with a paddle clutch excedy stage 3 (but has compensator  springs)

and for a paddle it is not all that harsh..

i will be using the paddle as a 'daily' but for me this is not a problem i am not in a busy town centre.

Has anyone seen torque figures for 220hp g60'd polo ? ..
im starting to think its best a get out a buy one now ...

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 12:13:58 pm »
well it's a matter of opinion. I have one in my polo and have for years, I'd not put up with it daily.  Can you get your mate to let you have a go and see what you think?

he no longer has his glanza now, but i have driven his evo 5, but im unsure of what clutch is in there, it felt a bit different to all of the other cars ive driven so maybe its a paddle im not sure, but i found that easy enough to drive

Offline norfolkvw

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 12:41:11 pm »
i got one in my polo, pain in the ass! its either on or off! no play in it! hate driving around town in it

Offline alexm866

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 10:01:06 pm »
this is where i got my fast road helix kit, was the cheapest i could find it for at 320+delivery:

http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=25489&xSec=235

despite saying for a 6n, it matches all the part numbers for road road use on a g40 here:

http://www.helix-autosport.com/performance-clutches/volkswagen/

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 10:14:11 pm »

i will be using the paddle as a 'daily' but for me this is not a problem i am not in a busy town centre.

Just a warning although i have got used to and now quite like my paddle clutch i would no way install one in a car i drove on a daily baisis, i would much rather change the standard clutch more often.
Its alot more work to use in daily situations you have to get your gear changes much better especialy down shifts , more thought has to go into driving, parking is harder speed bumps can be a challenge especialy if your car is lowered. queing in multi story car parks and traffic would be pretty bad aswel. i would suggest a drive around a car park in a car with one equiped if you can before putting it on a daily driven car.
i dont mind mine because i drive my car once  every one to two weeks.

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 10:15:56 pm »
the difference in the part numbers dictates the spline differences - G40 is same as early 6ns (upto late 1997) and then late spec 6ns are same as 6n2 etc (98-2002?)

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 10:26:31 pm »
My civic EG has a b18c with a paddle and a honestly do not fuss over it..

the polo has a wild diff and it pretty low..

plus i am undergoing a g60 charger conv. and 1341cc .. i will be over 220hp hopefully..

so i think a helix paddle is my only option..

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 11:28:20 pm »
Does anyone have experience of the Helix organic setup on a circa 190 bhp 1341 turbo?
I'm thinking it'd be a bit kinder to the gearbox and I wouldn't be worried about it lasting forever as my mileage will be limited.

*Edit* I just noticed Hayesey had one, how did you get on with it and what spec were you running at the time Paul?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:31:16 pm by breadman »

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 11:31:24 pm »
apparently there for life !

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2012, 09:37:52 am »
mine's a paddle clutch not an organic one.

But it is great, it's taken some right abuse.  Including getting covered in gearbox oil when an input seal seal failed.  I "fixed" the clutch once the leak was sorted by finding some empty motorway, putting it in 5th gear and flooring the throttle and letting the clutch keep slipping till the oil was burnt off.  I've since done several track days and the clutch just keeps gripping, never had any slip.

But it is very much an on/off switch.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2012, 11:36:53 am »
I've run a Sachs paddle plate with a stock G40 cover, and it was fine with 165-175bhp and 165lb/ft of torque.

Used it daily when living in Cambridge and did about 8-10k a year in it like that for a couple of years. I used to mainly walk/cycle around town and to work though, and most of the driving was motorway or country ragging. Was a bitch in heavy traffic, so when I started having to drive a lot for work meetings I bought another car!

Current Helix paddle I had re-lined, and it's taken a lot of abuse on a 200lb/ft motor now. That includes hitting it with drag slicks, and previously experimenting with 2nd gear launches off the rev limiter (though not in conjunction with the slicks!). Only issue I have is the cover plate is so stiff it tends to bend the pedal assembly and rapes clutch cables regularly.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2012, 12:33:58 pm »
hi andy,
i am using a CG motorsport clutch (friction plate was kevlar been told)

I do not know if the Cover plate on the CG item is anyway uprated but assuming its same as standard, would i have enough clamping power to use a helix/sachs paddle plate to use on possibly 200ft lbs engine ?

or is it essential to use a specifically designed cover plate to be able to use the paddle to contain all the torque..

many thanks!