Author Topic: What clutch do i get? help needed badly  (Read 8091 times)

Offline Andy

• Traders
Re: What clutch do i get? help needed badly
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2012, 12:46:51 pm »
I don't know... The uprated cover plate is deffo man enough, so depends whether you want to risk it or not!

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2012, 12:54:02 pm »
Me and Hywel have both used the Helix paddle clutch with a standard cover in the past and had no problems, running slicks and probably giving it much more abuse in competition than you would on a road car.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 12:54:40 pm »
true,
i was debating in my head wether to just continue using the CG motorsport one,
i dont know if it will slip from the start or if it will bear out within a few thousand miles..

Offline pettsy

• Members
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 06:09:53 pm »
Only issue I have is the cover plate is so stiff it tends to bend the pedal assembly and rapes clutch cables regularly.

i've only done about 800 miles with mine since i fitted it, but the feeling i get through the pedal is like its flexing the pedalbox. doesn't feel very nice to drive with tbh.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2012, 06:54:44 pm »
Me and Hywel have both used the Helix paddle clutch with a standard cover in the past and had no problems, running slicks and probably giving it much more abuse in competition than you would on a road car.
But with much less torque, delivered in a more progressive manner than a boosted motor - so I'm not sure it's a guarantee that they're fine for 200lb/ft. Would be interesting to find out though, could save people a lot of money on Helix cover plates!

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2012, 07:14:38 pm »
think ill be ordering a Helix paddle . costs £169 all in delivered to ma door.

i reckon ill have 200 ft lbs, but its only a guess.. so we'll just see how a get on !

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2012, 07:18:35 pm »
Personally, in cases like this I prefer to fit the highest rated component I can 1st time round. Unless its going to render the car un drivable I'd prefer to go full paddle once than have to change the clutch twice. Maybe Im the only one who hates gearbox changes!

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2012, 07:25:05 pm »
To be honest im going to keep both the helix paddle and the CG kevlar (fastroad) clutch at hand..

clutch change is about 1.5hours roughly, can cut time down with a 2poster ramp and some air tools!

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2012, 07:34:48 pm »
Ahhh.  Fair do's!

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2012, 10:21:08 pm »
well, im going to now save up another 180 quid and buy the helix paddle, and if i find it annoying i will save up and get the organic friction plate and just swap over :)

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2012, 03:10:58 pm »
I have a CG  4-fin paddle clutch on mine and hasn't failed me yet on a few track days or 1/4 miles. They did use tarted up LUK pressure plates which I reckon is why mine is so easy to live on the highways and why cheaper than Helix  :)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2012, 03:19:00 pm »
George used one of my helix paddles with his standard G40 pressure plate and it was just a full on no go! whipped the box off and grabbed one of my uprated helix ones and his G Turdbo was rocking again.

i had a helix organic clutch plate on my turbo with a helix pressure plate, but eventually was really struggling to get any gears, a new pressure plate and all was good again.

ive seen three CG friction plates now (paddles) that have had the springs come out!

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2012, 03:22:34 pm »
Haha probably one of the early ones like Lance had. He sent it back for a re-inforced replacment LOL

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2012, 07:37:04 pm »
Thought I'd drag this thread back up rather than start another. Has anyone had any experience with the Sachs clutches?  I see Andy has a Sachs paddle with stock pressure plate. The prices for the Sachs Organic are only a few quid less than the paddle prices (about £360 for friction and pressure plates.) Anyone have anything on them?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2012, 09:24:32 pm »
I had a Sachs paddle with the stock pressure plate, then switched to a full Helix paddle when I went turbo. However, the former combo was fine on a 170lb/ft G40-ladered motor.

I have a vague recollection of Barney's 1341cc with-all-the-trimmings G40 needing to go from an organic Helix to a paddle because the organic item kept slipping.