Author Topic: What clutch do i get? help needed badly  (Read 8094 times)

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
What clutch do i get? help needed badly
« on: April 16, 2012, 02:51:04 pm »
Right, i am about to order a clutch, i have about 280 quid, What should i get?

ive found a black diamond stage 2 for 240 quid but ive seen a couple of reviews for other cars and theyve been bad

or i can get a drivetorque stage 2 one for 196 quid but ive seen no reviews for them

or a 200 quid ebay one..

or a standard luk or sachs one and see how that goes, but my engine is about 160bhp so im not sure, and i cant afford a helix one, so what should i get?

ive seen good and bad about running standard ones as they soon giveway after about 6k

so i need help please!  ???

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: What clutch do i get? help needed badly
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 03:18:18 pm »
how much is a helix one these days?  That's what I have and it cost me £300 but that was a few years ago.  I'd recommend that but I have no experience with Black Diamond and I've never heard of drivetorque.

I'd probably just get a standard one if you can't afford a Helix to be honest.  What modifications does the engine have?

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 04:21:35 pm »
wheres the best place for a helix?

and the car is running an eaton, large fmic, 310cc injectors etc.. but i want to go down the ko3 route soon with a 1341 forged bottom end

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 04:36:22 pm »
well, ive just phoned up CGmotorsport..

and for a helix pressure plate, road/rally stage 2 friction plate, and a standard thrust bearing, with delivery all in for £417.20 which is supposed to be able to handle 176ftlbs of torque

do i save up an extra 150 quid and get this?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 04:37:12 pm »
ok, then I'd definitely get a helix organic clutch kit.  If you don't have the money now then I'd save up for it.  

Not sure of the best place, I bought mine from Pitstop Developments who don't exist any more.  I'm sure someone who's bought one more recently will post up soon.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 04:41:29 pm »
that seems pretty expensive to me (but maybe that's the going rate for them now).  I thought CGMotorsport did their own kits rather than Helix ones?  Also, what type of clutch is it?  "road/rally stage 2" is meaningless but I suspect that might mean a paddle clutch, if it's a daily driver I'd not want a paddle clutch they grip like shit to a blanket but they are like on/off switches.  I have on in mine as they are best for track, there's no way I'd put up with it daily.  You want a Helix Organic plate.

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 04:48:00 pm »
they said they arent sure if its a paddle or not, the road friction plate is 116 plus vat where as the rally one is 140 odd plus vat, which i think she said copes upto about 150ftlbs, so i could even go for that?

and their own fast road clutch is £157.06 all in or a paddle clutch is £277.06 thats for a full kit aparently..

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 05:58:51 pm »
That's expensive.  I've been looking at Helix clutches myself and found this place following a link from the Helix website. http://www.performanceclutch.co.uk/13ltr-g40-1987-1994/76-4719-2026995-240557-599398.php

They do the paddle and organic set ups. IIRC the paddle is £320 ish?

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 06:39:22 pm »
looking at it, thats about the same price tbh, as its including everything, pressure plate, friction plate, bearing and shipping

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 06:55:04 pm »
i phoned helix direct for mine £400 ish quid is for the proper paddle clutch with the cover plate and bearing.

Offline vee-dub90

• Members
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 08:01:20 pm »
was that the race/rally one?

Offline gofasterpinch

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:45:28 pm »
thats a group N rally one technically, yes.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 07:41:53 am »
Any one using a paddle friction plate on a standard pressure plate?

I bought my clutch bout a year ago, it's the Kevlar one Phil jackson was selling..

It's never even done 1 mile in it! Meant to be good for up near 180hp.. A was considering buying paddle plate alone n fitting this... Or this bad idea and pressure plate not allow enough clamp?

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 08:47:30 am »
I fitted a cg paddle to my car and took a while to get used to but i actually quite like it now although it can be a pain in traffic up a hill but its not as bad as the horror stories i read on all other sites but they say its an "updated clutch" but i couldn't see the difference between it and standard. it has got better to use with a thousand miles on it and hasn't slipped ever.
One thing i would say about it is that it puts alto more stress on your driveline important going to have to updated my engine mounts due to large amounts of engine transmission moment on down shifting when coming to round about for example.

I think it depends on how tolerant you are of it i hated it for about a month now i like it !

Offline Thomas

• Members