Author Topic: Can anyone find the rest of my plug?  (Read 10122 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Can anyone find the rest of my plug?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2011, 10:59:36 pm »
How about the whole engine lol.

No i dont think he has. Just a 1341cc accralite bottom end. I did wanna keep it as a 1.3 though but looks like that isn't going to be an option. Maybe if i put a load of money in the engine bay it will run better?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2011, 11:03:04 pm »
1341cc is 1.3- round down  ;D

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2011, 11:04:01 pm »
Yeah, i like your thinking! 1341 it is then.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2011, 11:04:47 pm »
Also whats you opinion on re using the head bolts? Now they were only in for a full day and a half.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2011, 11:05:02 pm »
more reliablility more power cant go wrong realy although it does come at a cost

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2011, 06:46:44 am »
Also whats you opinion on re using the head bolts? Now they were only in for a full day and a half.

With your luck?  New bolts.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2011, 07:42:44 am »
Use new bolts for sure and proper G40's as I found this weekend that there is certainly a clamp load difference between the 2.

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2011, 08:37:37 am »
wow, what a mess :(

Offline JIMMYP

• Members
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2011, 01:30:53 pm »
where have the chips of metal come from in cylinder 1 to 3? are they piece's from the valve digging into the piston crown? cus it doesnt look like there's alot of damage on the headside apart ur slightly bend valves.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2011, 01:47:45 pm »

With your luck?  New bolts.

i'd reuse the bolts, but then again im a massive pikey!

ill give them a home if you dont! =P

dread mate for you though, proper shit after already having your melted piston, but as yoofington says you should turn that holed piston 4 into a mini ormanent for your fireplace!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #40 on: June 07, 2011, 06:06:01 pm »
Yeah i deffently will. The bolts cost me £50 and they are proper g40 ones. I think i might just re-use them as they are still like new really. Will see how im doing for money.

The metal inside no1 is from the no4 where it must of been sucked inside the inlet. The inlet manifold has got loads of metal in. Sounds like a tin full of metal balls.

Spoke to TSR and they said a full rebuild using a vag oil pump will be approx £1200-£1300 incl vat.

Jabba, i spoke to them and brian said that there's not a lot they can do really. He said the fella who does the heads (man in shed) is very good and he doesn't do the inlet valves only the exhaust valves on the bvh. He said if i want i can send the head to them so they can have a good look at it.

Waiting to hear what quote they can do a full rebuild on the bottom end. And new bvh.

Offline AlexG40

• Members
« Reply #41 on: June 07, 2011, 10:09:20 pm »
Yeah i deffently will. The bolts cost me £50 and they are proper g40 ones. I think i might just re-use them as they are still like new really. Will see how im doing for money.

The metal inside no1 is from the no4 where it must of been sucked inside the inlet. The inlet manifold has got loads of metal in. Sounds like a tin full of metal balls.

Spoke to TSR and they said a full rebuild using a vag oil pump will be approx £1200-£1300 incl vat.

Jabba, i spoke to them and brian said that there's not a lot they can do really. He said the fella who does the heads (man in shed) is very good and he doesn't do the inlet valves only the exhaust valves on the bvh. He said if i want i can send the head to them so they can have a good look at it.

Waiting to hear what quote they can do a full rebuild on the bottom end. And new bvh.

I'm not being rude mate, but £50 when you're already talking about going to 1341 is sweet FA. Bearing in mind that there is a reason you shouldn't re-use stretch bolts (ref Robins post above) and also that you surely wouldn't want to have to do a headgasket swap after building a shiny new engine....

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #42 on: June 07, 2011, 10:38:17 pm »
Yeah the problem with stretch bolts is that once they've been torqued up they are stretched and not really good to reuse, regardless of how old.  I have reused head bolts before bu not in my g40 and certainly wouldn't if spending all that money. 

I think id be pushing jabba for some discount!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2011, 10:13:42 pm »
Ok guess i best get to vw and make a part's list.

Will get a oil pump if there still available as i can get it cheaper from vw.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2011, 10:32:32 pm »
think there about £180-200 from vw depending on discount ive got one thats i bought as new old stock (genuine vag) and never fitted next time your passing pop in if your intrested mate