Author Topic: Can anyone find the rest of my plug?  (Read 10089 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Can anyone find the rest of my plug?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 09:24:52 pm »
What do you mean by "frame piston/rod from no 4"?

Jabba did the head.

And the timing was setup before remap and Andy gave it a good look at before and everything was ok. This did only happen about 3/4 of the way through the mapping. Had covered around 50-60 miles, maybe more, then this happened.

There are a few marks on the no 1 but look like it might of only hit once or twice.

Before i removed the head i checked the timing and it was just before tdc on the crank pulley and the vernier pulley so it was still timed correctly.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2011, 09:29:19 pm »
Just noticed you havn't got a valve seat...

Ah yeah. Now you mention that. So it looks like that was the problem. Is it worth talking to jabba about head and possibly NGK about the plugs?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 09:36:59 pm »
Frame it- cause it's quite epic!

Valve seat probably hasn't been pressed in properly, I presume Jabba replace them with larger valves...

Nothing at fault with the plug- that's purely a result from the valve smashing it!

Should have checked the timing afterwards to see if it had skipped a few teeth on the cambelt (probably has). Doesn't take much to bend valves, so there might not be obvious contact with pistons.

I'd be having some strong words with Jabba.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 09:53:48 pm »
If you can get hold of the receipt from Jabba, it's deffo worth giving them a call.

Once that valve seat dropped out (I suspect that's the route cause - hence why you've got a headless valve in no.4) the cam belt will've skipped as Yoof said, which is when the other piston/valve contact occurred.

You've been bloody unlucky with engines, and sadly with the head it's not really something you'd have a hope in hell of noticing when building it.

I was telling you in the car about the same happening to my friend Marshall's track car - he had a moody head that dropped a valve seat and stuck a hole in the piston. The motor had seen 8,000rpm regularly, but he was lucky in that the valve seat dropped out whilst cranking it over - so it holed the piston but didn't damage the bore.

See what Jabba say - your best bet is probably to try to salvage your melted piston block. Is the bore badly damaged on that?

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 09:59:36 pm »
Sorry to see this James! I know you have spent alot of money and not had much luck.

Looking at this picture

there is a nice indent on the piston at the bottom of the picture made by the valve, my opinion is that it the valve seat is the cause, i am not convinced that it is the cambelt slipping a tooth or 2 as you would see the same damage on cylinder 4, yes there is some debris in cylinder 4 but there are no signs of the valve hitting the piston like it did in cylinder 4.

I have my old cylinder head you can have for free if you need something to get yourself back on the road, it has no valves in though.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:02:15 pm by Robin »

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 10:13:31 pm »
Sorry to see this James! I know you have spent alot of money and not had much luck.

Ditto. I hope you can salvage something from it all.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 10:30:21 pm »
Luckily i still have the old head so im good there but thankyou very much for the offer though.

I think out of the two blocks i have i will get one rebored and get forge pistons. But thats not going to be cheap. I keep telling myself it will be worth it.  ::)

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2011, 10:32:31 pm »
I keep telling myself it will be worth it.  ::)
It will be! Maybe if you can make Jabba accept some liability they might be willing to do a deal on some forged pistons?

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »
You will be looking at about £600-700 for a 1341 set up.

I admire your determination! It will be worth it............................just.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 10:42:30 pm »
Can tell you didn't build yours!!! Try £1200 for a pukka 1341cc build (short block).

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2011, 10:45:57 pm »
only just read this whole thread, really sorry to see youve been having such shit luck mate. Hope you can get some sort of help from jabba if they accept some of the blame for it. nice to see youre staying positive and not just giving up i think alot of people would after the stint of bad luck youve had.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2011, 10:48:24 pm »
If you can get hold of the receipt from Jabba, it's deffo worth giving them a call.

Once that valve seat dropped out (I suspect that's the route cause - hence why you've got a headless valve in no.4) the cam belt will've skipped as Yoof said, which is when the other piston/valve contact occurred.

You've been bloody unlucky with engines, and sadly with the head it's not really something you'd have a hope in hell of noticing when building it.

I was telling you in the car about the same happening to my friend Marshall's track car - he had a moody head that dropped a valve seat and stuck a hole in the piston. The motor had seen 8,000rpm regularly, but he was lucky in that the valve seat dropped out whilst cranking it over - so it holed the piston but didn't damage the bore.

See what Jabba say - your best bet is probably to try to salvage your melted piston block. Is the bore badly damaged on that?

Will ring them tomorrow and see what they say. Might be able to rebuild me a bottom end for a lot less.

I will get a pic of the old block where it melted. Its not a lot of damage though.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2011, 10:49:48 pm »
Can tell you didn't build yours!!! Try £1200 for a pukka 1341cc build (short block).

Got quoted 1500 from TSR and i think that incl vat. Will double check with them. I see lance is selling his lot and might try get that off him as i might be an easier and cheaper option.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2011, 10:53:59 pm »
only just read this whole thread, really sorry to see youve been having such shit luck mate. Hope you can get some sort of help from jabba if they accept some of the blame for it. nice to see youre staying positive and not just giving up i think alot of people would after the stint of bad luck youve had.

Cheers mate. I know, 1st melted a piston then this. Will have a nice collection of melted/broken piston soon lol. But im trying to smile all the time im just gutted. Couldnt believe it when it went during the mapping. Of all bloody times. I did look at selling up and buying another one or just buying another g40 and using my current one for spares, but im gona carry on like this. Im sure i wont be at bvf this year in the g40 but i still wanna go so will see whats happening around the time, never know i might get it back on the road, only took me 2 weeks last time. And im getting the hang of taking the engine out  8)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2011, 10:57:20 pm »
Go 1341cc if you can, does Lance's motor have a BV head?

Only problem with Jabba is that the original purchase isn't in your name- however they should at least give you a credit note.

Give me a text if you need parts, got a fresh G40 landing on Friday so will have some bits spare.