Author Topic: Gear change problem..... still  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Gear change problem..... still
« on: December 15, 2010, 10:53:42 pm »
On the way back home and went to put it in 5th and it went into 3rd. So put alt of weight on it and it went in 5th. As i went to reverse in the driveway, the car went forward. I looked down and it was fully over left and it still went forward, but no reverse light. Took the plastic centre out and it looked ok so when i put it in reverse the plastic stop went under to engage reverse and it still went forward.

Cant see much underneath as its far to dark.

Any ideas?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 05:44:31 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Gear change problem
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 10:55:51 pm »
sounds like the linkage has slipped underneath!

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 10:59:32 pm »
I did think that.... bloody car

Cheers pete. Will jack it up tomorrow.

Thinking, if i replace it, where should i get it from? VAG or GSF?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:00:15 pm »
might just need undoing, repositioning then tightening up properly

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:06:02 pm »
Ok will give that ago tomorrow.

Cheers again pete  ;)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 03:04:47 pm »
Ok, took it to a local good garage near me and they played around for a while and its not the linkage. The linkage was a little loose but not the problem. Its an internal problem as there was alot of play in the gear shaft rod.

Need a new gear box, recon mine or might be able to get a 6 speed sequential setup.

Whats the difference between ATV and CEK?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 03:16:03 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 03:27:32 pm »
are you sure it doesn't just need new linkage bushes?  These are available as a kit from GSF. 

Has the garage made much attempt to re-set the linkage?  mk3 polo gear linkages are pretty slack at the best of times compared with even most cars from the early 90s (e.g. mk2 golfs etc...etc...).

or might be able to get a 6 speed sequential setup.

you realise you're probably talking 6 or 7 grand for a second hand one of those if you can find one for sale right? 

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 03:35:29 pm »
Yeah they compltely removed it then set it up, refitted, when reverse was selected it went in ok but when taken out of gear then put back in reverse it wouldnt go at all.

There friend used to do lots of rallying and has been into gearboxs all his life. They reckon he would only charge 1k.

They said he only charges around £200 for a rebuild i think, but imgoing to ring him in a bit.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 04:27:24 pm »
only charge £1k for what? 

£200 for a rebuild is OK depending on what you actually get for that, does it include the price of the bearings etc... or is that purely labour?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 04:29:24 pm »
From what they said thats a full rebuild with all seals and bearings replaced.

I think if i can get hold of another box it will be a better option for me at the mo.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 05:11:21 pm »
hmm depends, a decently rebuilt box should be a lot better than buying another 20 year old one.  If both were £200 I think a rebuild is the best option.

But you need to be sure what £200 includes before getting them to do it or you could suddenly end up with a bill for much more.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 07:29:50 pm »
Found a company near me in somerset, http://www.gearchange.co.uk and im going to take the car to them in the new year. I was gonna take the box out myself but i dont have any ramps or access to raise the car, plus the mot is due in feb so i need it done for then.

Such a pain as this stops me from getting all the parts i need for when the BVH goes in march. Oh well, i remember someone once said to me "hope you have deep pockets" haha  ::)

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 05:44:07 pm »
Still no joy.

Got a new box put on and it still wont select reverse properly. I dont think its setup correctly though so im gonna take it to a garage to get it looked at as im getting pissed off with the car now. Everything looks fine underneath and it selects fine when i do it with my hand, just not when connected. The gearbox that came off has got some sort of knocking noise when selecting gear and has a lot of play in the input shaft.

Offline liam

• Members
Re: Gear change problem..... still
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 09:12:53 pm »
when i changed my gearbox over it took me a few times to get it right with my dad in the car and me underneath adjusting the linkage, makes it a lot easier with some one to give you a hand.

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
Re: Gear change problem..... still
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 09:23:23 pm »
I tried that with my mate but it still wouldn't go. Not sure if he had it in the right position though. In haynes is says 11mm from the left hand side of the surround to the lip (for reverse) and 43mm from the front.

On one attempt i put it in reverse then tried to connect it up but it didn't work again. Getting frustrated with it now.