Author Topic: Melted Piston  (Read 25619 times)

Offline Dirty Slag

• Members
Re: Melted Piston
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2009, 12:56:53 pm »
I dont have an attitude i just like to give people good advise and simple solutions to there problems!

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2009, 01:01:19 pm »
now now lady's,
at the end of the day you could replace all the things you say and there still might be a problem. at least with a second hand engine thats in good order with average miles on it, it eliminates alot of probible causes. then its just the fuel filter, pump and wiring to check. It would be more cost effective to the owner in the long run that spending hours checking everything. 1 day and the car could be back and running again with an engine swap.

And i would probably be right in saying the majority of G's on here like some death.
If you sit and diddle about with a performance car like the G (or any other kind) you do more harm than good, cos when its finally given the juice the poor engine is not used to it and thinks f*ck this and starts to bugger up.  

Offline Dirrt

• Members
  • #actlikealadythinklikeadirrt
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2009, 01:05:24 pm »
Slag is not the guy that did any previous work to my G btw, I'd like to make that clear.
I've taken the car to him as he knows more than anyone I know, what he's doing under the hood of any cars, not just VWs!!!

I come here as i do hold it down as a fantastic forum for information and help and you guys have always been good to me and I proper appreciate it, always have done. When I want to know something you're there and you tell me it's really great 8)
But I've been going back to the slag with your guys advice because I know SOME off you (you know who you are) know what you're talking about and I've said to him but people are saying i should do this? Is this for the best etc? What do you think I should do? What do they mean? If I do this then how does it effect this? So I understand but then I get myself into a pickle about what to do and because I'm not clued up like some off you (I'm getting there slowly) then it leaves me with a G stress head and then i don't know what to do  ??? :'(

Offline Dirty Slag

• Members
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 01:05:57 pm »
Explain to me how changing the engine will cure fueling problems???
Also i'm not gonna put a second hand engine in this car as i just dont trust them as i said above you never get the full story with them and also if it a good engine why isnt it in the owners car??
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 01:20:30 pm by Dirty Slag »

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 01:28:48 pm »
It wont.  People are just giving advise on cost effectiveness.  Most people know Yoof and his knowledge/experience with the polo G40 and engine building and he's trustworthy.  No one is saying just go on ebay and pick up the first engine you see.

Always good to have a spare G40 engine anyway imo.

Piston melting issues in the past when we had a big spate of them were mainly caused by fuelling issues (injectors and pump being the main 2)or simply fatigue.

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 01:29:46 pm »
well just my addition, i see no problem with fitting a second hand engine, if you do a few basic checks you have nothing to worry about, and it would be the easiest and cheapest option, much easier than stripping pistons out.

I have a perfectly fine G40 engine, thats been rebuilt, ive aquired numerous G40 engines that i have sold on, that have been fine, your assuming everyone selling an engine is selling it because its fucked.

You could easily find a complete g40 bottom end for about £150, swapping that is not a massive job either.

The dreaded piston meltage has plagued G40 owners for a long time, and no one has ever said exactly what causes it, i think because there is no direct cause, could be various things.

Offline Dirrt

• Members
  • #actlikealadythinklikeadirrt
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2009, 01:42:13 pm »
owners doing things on the cheap,
Being the biggest!

Offline Dirty Slag

• Members
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2009, 01:43:30 pm »
The dreaded piston meltage has plagued G40 owners for a long time, and no one has ever said exactly what causes it, i think because there is no direct cause, could be various things.

various other things:

rubbish/monkey/idiotic mechanics,
owners doing things on the cheap,
cheap aftermarket parts (crap filters etc)...

to name a small few

Totally agree engines blowing up is not a mistery at all!
I deal with loads of highly tuned stuff all the time and it doesnt just blow up with out reason!
People are always cutting corners to find cheap power unfortunatly there is no such thing!
How many people on here are running smaller pulleys on there charger and haven't changed the fueling or ignition to cope with the extra boost then wonder why the engine has gone pop?????
that doesnt sound like a mistery to me! lol
Any other mysteries you need solving give scooby doo a call!

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2009, 01:50:14 pm »

How many people on here are running smaller pulleys on there charger and haven't changed the fueling or ignition to cope with the extra boost then wonder why the engine has gone pop?????

Im hoping not many.

Any other mysteries you need solving give scooby doo a call!

Is it me or was "thelma" fit?  lol, quickly edited... just hope no one notices lol. ;D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2009, 02:18:24 pm by hardchargin40 »

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2009, 02:01:48 pm »
betty who?

Offline Dirty Slag

• Members
« Reply #55 on: November 12, 2009, 02:07:19 pm »
The only 2 chicks in scooby doo are Thelma and Daphnie!
Regarding the pulleys you'll prob find its more than you think!
I mean everyones got 50 quid to spend on a pulley but they aint got the other 500 for the map and injectors!

Offline Dirty Slag

• Members
« Reply #56 on: November 12, 2009, 02:13:26 pm »
Just found some supposed tuning chips on ebay how many people have them on there car??
25 quid 170bhp yeah right that sounds like a dead engine to me!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #57 on: November 12, 2009, 02:31:33 pm »
I go back to my original point about piston metallurgy.  Cast pistons wont be as hardy as forged and stock g40s with low miles have melted pistons... that indeed is a little mystery why some have and some haven't!!!

A lad called dub-envy had a cup car block with about 1,000 miles, new injectors, pumps, filters and checked wiring.. And he melted a piston!

Agreed not the majority, which is injectors/pumps/chip/wiring.

A few of us here have had g40s years (nearly 9 for me) know 100s of owners, worked on 10s of cars.... i've owned 5 personally  so there is a lot of knowledge on this forum - both technically and cost wise.

Offline Dirty Slag

• Members
« Reply #58 on: November 12, 2009, 02:46:21 pm »
Not doubting the knowledge just no there's a lot of bull shit that flies around on forums which confuses people that arnt so clued up!

Offline DKnight

• Administrators
« Reply #59 on: November 12, 2009, 03:20:12 pm »
why does it sound like a dead engine?

you know nothing about the company selling, your very half empty with your views on things arent you lol