Author Topic: Engine Oil  (Read 2253 times)

Offline jaker272

• Members
Engine Oil
« on: March 10, 2010, 10:42:25 am »
Ive checked the oil level the other day and noticed it was on the minimum mark, and since owning the car have not put any oil in it before. I know the oil thats in it, is castrol 10w40 semi synthetic, but not sure what type as ive noticed there are a couple of different ones in that grade. Does it matter what type of oil i top it up with as long as its semi synthetic 10w40 oil? Dont wanna screw anything up by putting the wrong stuff in.

Also, the last time i checked the oil, about 1200 miles ago prob, it wasnt on the min mark, but it is now. Is it normal for the oil level to drop slightly over time?

Cheers, Jake.

Offline g40willa

• Members
Re: Engine Oil
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 10:50:02 am »
Hello mate, I always use Quantum Synta silver, VW dealers supply it, and I've never had any problems using it, I'll be interested to see what orther peoples views are. With regards to the grade, I'm not sure, which is why I stick to Synta Silver,
hope this helps.

Offline jaker272

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 02:34:39 pm »
Yea from what ive read, synta silver seems popular. I'm not really too fussed about what make goes in though, just want to make sure as long as i top up with 10w40 semi synthetic, it should be ok?

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 04:33:53 pm »
I use synta silver 10w40.

I had a same situation as yours where it had dropped over time but remember the charger will suck some oil out of the crankcase through the return pipes. Unless you have had it removed?

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 06:48:17 pm »
Most engines leak oil from somwhere once they're a few years old, I don't think I've ever owned a car without some sort of leak! And there are numerous reasons the oil level drops, buth hopefully it's something minor and not a head gasket problem or worn bores and/or piston rings.
You say you haven't touched the oil since you had it, is that the 1200 miles ago? Unless I'm 100% sure an oil change is the first thing I do when I've bought a car.
Synta Silver for me too.

Offline jaker272

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 09:28:28 pm »
Ive done about 1500 miles since ive had the car, didnt change the oil as i bought it off a mate who had the head gasket with other stuff done less than 5000 miles ago, so hopefully i wont have to worry about that for a while either!
Charger has also been serviced about 3000 miles ago, so yea maybe its just that using some oil as normal.

I'll just top it up for now and keep a closer eye on it i think.

Offline Puncharado

• Members
  • Back on the road in 2010! No, 2011! Maybe.
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 10:05:53 pm »
I'd go for an oil change anyway if it's done 5000 miles since the last one.