Author Topic: Still have timing issue but may have a breakthrough  (Read 9300 times)

Offline matthg40

• Members
Still have timing issue but may have a breakthrough
« on: September 13, 2017, 05:05:05 am »
Had a timing issue for a good few months now and it's been driving me up the wall.and I think I've now worked out what the problem is but not quite sure how to rectify it.ive noticed the rotary arm is sitting at the 4 o clock position when set to tdc rather than 10 o clock like it's supposed to be so im now unsure of how to like it back up so it's back in the right position.does anyone have any ideas ive tried everything possible and I'm running out of ideas so if anyone can help please feel free as I really want my g40 back on the road thanks as always matt

Offline GR40

• Members
Re: Still have timing issue but may have a breakthrough
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 04:42:19 pm »
Don't put it in any other position. Try switching the wires around. There are 2 types of distributor depending on where the position sensor is! If that is your case you need to put number 1 spark plug wire in number 3, number 2 in 4... etc and it will probably work.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 05:00:45 pm by GR40 »

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 10:19:28 am »
Rotate the engine to TDC, wherever your rotor arm is facing, that is cylinder 1. Next is 3 then 4 then 2

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 10:37:12 am »
Thank guys will give it a try you may of saved the day

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 04:43:20 pm »
Both timing marks are set perfectly and it sits at tdc now Its got a horrible misfire making it impossible to set the timing with a strobe Light the the mechanical timing mark this is really beginning to frustrate me now

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 11:55:51 am »
Did you put the order counter clockwise? The cam pulley rotates clockwise but the distributor does counter clockwise so if cylinder 1 is at 4 o'clock then cylinder 3 is at 1 o'clock then cylinder 4 is at 10 o'clock and cylinder 2 is at 7 o'clock. Check again if that is correct!

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 05:03:54 pm »
Yes number 1 sits at about 8 o clock but was told it should be about 10 o clock

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2017, 08:47:57 am »
I can't think of anything else! Can you upload pictures of your timing marks and the distributor? We might see something you are missing!

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2017, 11:42:58 am »
Heading out to work on the car this afternoon will put some pics up then

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 02:09:02 pm »
Here are some pics

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 02:09:51 pm »
Sorry there not great

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 06:21:08 pm »
From what I see, my assumption is correct! You have a rebuilt distributor with the newer type of sensor so your cylinder 1 is 180o off from where it was in an original bosch. Try bolting it to where, the sensor is under the distributor instead of over, then pick to where the rotor is facing and set that one as cylinder number one. See if that works! If it does, and you want the sensor at the top then turn it back around and switch the plugs 180 degrees, cause in this case the rotor is showing you cylinder 4 and not number 1 at tdc.

Correction: I don't think it will work in any position other than with the sensor under the distributor. You would have to put the rotor arm 180o off too and that is not possible unless you take the distributor apart.

PS. I assume your distributor is rebuilt and someone just didn't turn the back of it around to match the new sensor. I could be wrong!

PS2. I assume you were unplugging the blue sensor when trying to time it, right?
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:25:57 pm by GR40 »

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2017, 08:19:40 pm »
So basically I need to put my sensor upside down is what your saying as it's 180 degrees out?its a eBay jobee he asked for my reg and sent what I have on the car now it's not a Bosch replacement sadly.and I've removed blue sensor when setting timing yes

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2017, 09:21:12 pm »
It is a possibility that the guy who rebuilt this one forgot to also turn the rotation disk that attaches to the cam 180 degrees to match the new sensor position. So yes I believe that whoever rebuilt this one might has gotten it reassembled the wrong way. Its worth a try putting it upside down.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:26:46 pm by GR40 »

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2017, 09:26:21 pm »
Right so I'm putting the sensor at the top and which lead facing the rad 1 or 4 sorry for the questions I know my engine like the back of my hand but never done anything with the distributor or rotary arm as you can tell