Author Topic: Jabbasport induction kit...do you oil it?  (Read 2641 times)

Offline LeonL

• Members
Jabbasport induction kit...do you oil it?
« on: November 12, 2017, 08:06:08 pm »
After having my charger looked at I was told it’s abit itttt gritty inside and needs a good clean out.

I’ve checked my jabbasport kit and the filter was pretty dirty so I’ve given it a blow out with air gun then used some k and n filter cleaning spray then rinsed it out throughly and you’d be surprised how much grit came out.

My question now is, do I need to oil the filter or is this not required as after extensive research I’ve found a lot of mixed opinions.

Many thanks

Offline JoeH

• Members
Re: Jabbasport induction kit...do you oil it?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2017, 09:27:08 pm »
er not quite what you asked, but I would just run the paper filter in the stock air box drilled out and restriction removed...and flog the jabbasport induction kit.

On another note, I imaging an oiled K&N would catch more dirt and therefore help.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 02:57:26 pm »
they are supposed to be oiled to work properly yes,.  they come oiled when new, you're supposed to reoil them whenever you clean them

Offline LeonL

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 04:10:27 pm »
I’ve got some k and n spray oil I’ll put on it, comes out red but should do the job?

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2017, 01:16:58 pm »
As Haysey said, they come oiled when new, the oil is there to help trap smaller particles. It probably helps the fibres in the filter stay supple too, extending its life.

A bit of a shit analogy here, but get a sieve and drop flour through it. It falls through. If you spray the sieve with oil so it has a film on it, then repeat the same test, a lot less flour will get through as it gets trapped in the oil.

Obviously, that's a super simplified version of what the filter oil on a filter does, but in a nutshell, that's it!

Make sure when cleaning it you do it inside out as much as possible. I.e. blow air through it from the inside out. Blowing from the outside in can push stuff further into the mesh, making it harder to get out. Same when rinsing it.

As long as it's air filter oil you're putting on it should be fine. If you want to be double sure take a look at the air filter manufacturers website and the same for the oil. There'll probably be some minimum spec. listed or something to match one to the other.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 01:19:01 pm by ereeiz »