Author Topic: Still have timing issue but may have a breakthrough  (Read 9297 times)

Offline GR40

• Members
Re: Still have timing issue but may have a breakthrough
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:05 pm »
You are putting the distributor with the sensor facing down. Then at top dead center the rotor arm should be at 8 o clock. Put cylinder number 1 to the nearest corresponding position to 8 o clock, then counter clockwise put in 3, 4 and 2.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:31:04 pm by GR40 »

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 10:41:50 pm »
I had a fight you were going to say that I've tried that with the sensor upside down and the car backfired and popped a massive flame out the exhaust when I tried it.so i assumed I'd done something wrong.maybe the rotary arm was in the right palace but the leads were in the wrong order so I'll try again

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2017, 10:04:42 am »
Well the good news are that the massive fireball means you have both spark and fuel. The bad news are that you are firing the fuel while the exhaust valves are open. So that makes me believe the distributor is put together the correct way from whoever rebuilt it. I would start over and go through the following steps:

1. Put the engine at top dead center and take the spark plugs out.
2. Stick something long in cylinder 1 (the one nearest to the cam gear and further away from the distributor).
3. Turn the engine clockwise with a socket wrench at the crank and make sure that when it comes back around to the marks the piston in cylinder 1 is at its highest (note that for every rotation of the cam, the crank rotates twice). This way you will be sure that the engine is timed correctly.
4. Don't put any sparkplugs in.
5. Put the distributor in with the sensor facing up, make sure that the engine is at tdc for cylinder 1, mark to where the rotor arm is facing, put the distributor cap back on and plug cylinder 1 wire to where it corresponds. No other wires need to be plugged and you need to unplug the blue sensor.
6. Put the spark plug on the wire and set it on the engine somewhere, where it gets grounded and you can see it when it sparks (cam cover may or may not do).
7. Turn the engine clockwise from the crank and keep an eye for when the sparkplug sparks. It should spark just a couple of degrees before the timing marks align (6 degrees if I am correct). If it does that means everything is set right .If it does a couple degrees off rotate the distributor a little. If it doesn't spark anywhere near it, mark where the cam gear is facing when that plugs gets spark and we ll have something to go on with.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 03:22:18 pm by GR40 »

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 01:13:35 pm »
Thank you so much for your help I will let you know how I get on

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2017, 04:09:31 pm »
Right guy had a play today and the crank is rotating twice when I turn it manually so I know it's times up correctly.the car now turns over straight away with the turn of the key which it hasn't done since I've been having problems.it runs ok cuts out now and again but I guess it needs tweeking by tweeking I mean setting up with a timing light.the car still has a slight misfire I can hear it when I rev the car but I guess again it needs the timing tweeking.so I think today I have made a breakthrough

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2017, 06:11:25 pm »
Timing it, will solve those things. If it stays running then you are 99% there.  Little hint I found about making these engines run smoothly in idle is to replace the gasket under the throttle, it makes all the difference in the world. If it's even slightly cracked it makes the idle randomly erratic and makes the car randomly die when you stop at traffic lights. So if any of those things appear keep in mind it may be that gasket.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 08:17:02 pm »
Ah that's funny you say that I brought my throttle body from someone on this forum and it didn't have a gasket it's been done with gasket sealer.so I rang vw,parkers,gsf and Euro car parts and the all told me all gaskets for the throttle body are no obsolete so I had to do in with gasket sealer to sadly

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2017, 08:02:27 pm »
You can cut one out yourself out of a permanite gasket sheet. All you need is a paper sheet to make the manifold's template and then transfer that to the permanite sheet with a razor. I think the sheet itself is like 4€. As of where you are going to find one of those sheets I can't really help you as I live in Greece and here there is a shop that will cut any shape and gasket material you need. That is where I made mine. I think DONIT is the company that makes those type of gasket sheets if that helps. I have tried gasket sealer under the throttle and the throttle bolts rattled themselves loose after 2 months.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 08:06:18 pm by GR40 »

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2017, 08:15:37 pm »
I will order a sfewnsheets then thank you again 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2017, 02:46:36 pm »
New update I managed to get the car running ok and to start first time with the turn of the key.but it now cuts out and when I try to restart it there's a clicking noise coming from the distrubitor.i know it's not the starter motor as I replaced it earlier this year.so does anybody have any idea what this noise is or where it's coming from

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2017, 03:15:16 pm »
Does the clicking come from the distributor, or is it the injectors?

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2017, 03:38:51 pm »
From the car it's stopping the engine turn over

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 04:08:31 pm »
This car is driving me up the wall and the sad thing is I know it will be something daft that's causing the misfire and stopping it from running properly

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2017, 10:48:59 pm »
If you need a throttle body gasket; let me know. I had a batch cut and still have some left.

Offline matthg40

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2017, 04:10:46 am »
I’ll have 2 If you still have them please need one and I’ll have a spare if that’s ok please if you pm your details I’ll send some money over