Author Topic: Yoof's Turbo  (Read 212029 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Yoof's Turbo
« Reply #450 on: June 25, 2015, 04:40:08 pm »
Aye Blyton should be good.

Audi is quicker than the Polo (currently)  >:(

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #451 on: July 29, 2015, 07:35:28 am »
So, Blyton Park with Club Polo was last weekend, I was using this as a shakedown for the Polo. Having not driven it on track for a few years, and spending the last 18months grafting an 02J onto the little 1.3, I had high hopes, and wasn't disappointed!

The 02J box I'm currently using has an open diff, so I knew the tighter 2nd gear corners would be difficult, but this didn't stop me having fun  ;D

So, loaded the car up on Friday night- got to Blyton early doors on Saturday and unloaded. The trackday was with MOT, who are always a friendly bunch, good briefing, and out for the sighting laps. Format would be OPL all day, with the outer circuit run in the morning, and the eastern circuit run in the afternoon. Tidy.

First (and only) problem of the day was the rubber seal on the fuel filler cap had perished slightly. The drain for this helpfully deposits any excess fuel onto your offside rear tyre, cheers. I'm no driving god, but a dab of oppo was followed by a black flag to tell me what I already knew... back in the pits some modification with a pair of pliars, a small bit of blue roll, and job's a good'un! It would be the only fix I had to do all day - well chuffed.

So, some general pics from the day:

And an old colleague, and friend was there in his AX, with a 1.6 16v PSA engine with Saxo Cup Car Suspension (Leda from memory). A well prepared car, and well driven. This is always my benchmark and target, to be quicker. Often my driving style when we're both on track, goes from 'not very smooth' to 'f'in hell, have you got parkinsons...?' but we have fun!

Unfortunately we didn't get on track at the same time on the outer circuit, but did on the Eastern, I struggled with the first section, all 2nd gear for the polo, and all wheelspin. The AX ran rings around me here, and I'd spend the rest of the lap (straights!) catching up.

A few things I got feedback on:

- Marc (AX) is a hero on the brakes, I am not.... push pedal harder, and believe in the slicks
- Polo bounces/unsettles mid-corner
- Polo leans like a good un.

The leaning can be seen here:

So, my suspension setup is currently G40 Cup Car, a Sachs, fixed damper and standard 2.25" coilovers spring. A rate of 275lb front and 165lb rear. Unlike the Cup Car, I don’t run a front ARB- I also have a wider track, larger slicks, and the front is probably heavier. So I’ve increased the front and rear rates fairly significantly, hoping that I can continue to use the current dampers I have. Failing that I’ll look into modifying a Mk1 Golf coilover kit.

That aside, I’ve got a list of things to do before the next event, and look forward to being able to develop the car further, now I’ve hopefully solved the driveline reliability issues that plagued me with an 085 box.

Cheers

Pete

Offline scully

• Members
« Reply #452 on: July 29, 2015, 10:10:39 am »
Photo's are looking nice, can't wait to have mine back on the road/track by seeying these.  ;)

About the leaning, you are thinking in the direction of stiffer spring rates, but putting back the ARB is not an option? Could this be a shortcoming of the stage 3 subframe? Just interested in your thoughts.  ;)

About the gearbox conversion, earlier in the thread you mention that because of tilting the engine, you need to modify the oil pickup, the intake and the exhaust. Maby I missed it, but I didn't see anything about it in your thread anymore, did you go through with these modifications, of wasn't is neccesary anymore, or do you just don't want to make everything public about this modification?  ;D

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #453 on: July 29, 2015, 11:11:11 am »
Yes, I've already ordered stiffer springs  ;)

If the spring rate is correct, and the damper matched, an ARB has little relevance on track. For road use (not what the subframes are sold for  ;) ) this can cause an issue, as the pay off between ride comfort with a stiff enough spring to combat roll, on one which doesn’t jar your back, is difficult to achieve. Andy has put significant time/effort into playing about with spring rates, ride heights, geometry and is now trying a fixed spring kit.

That said, we do have a ‘stage 4’ Frame, which allows a standard Polo ARB to be fitted, along with the normal compression struts. Wheel clearance will be an issue, and cost will be prohibitive for most- Andy will be testing this though once he’s moved house.

Nothing is secret about my car  :) :) There is no advantage to it being so, although some people have hidden builds over the years, preferring to vacuum information from those who share it, we’re not in F1, and quite frankly if someone copies something I do, I’ll take it as a compliment, and make sure I’ve done it better  :D

Regarding oil pickup - further back in my thread I've said it wasn't required due to an angle change of only 6' to a stock installation, the exhaust was modified because of this, but the oil pickup remains stock.

This seems to be sufficient, as Blyton proved that the buzzer went off in the usual locations, meaning over winter my baffled sump/windage tray will be fitted.

Glad you like it, look forward to seeing yours out on track in the future,

Cheers

Pete

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #454 on: July 29, 2015, 01:11:02 pm »
Nice one kidda, shame I missed it. Let me know when you are off out to play again.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #455 on: August 06, 2015, 08:56:30 pm »
Sam- I've booked the following:

14th Evening Session - Rockingham International
6th Sept - Club GTi @ Curby

Want to do either Oulton or Donnington before the end of the year too, but current prices are stupid, maybe October time?

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #456 on: August 07, 2015, 11:09:25 am »
Nice one. Donny is always daft.

I havent got anything to come on track with yet but might have by October.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #457 on: August 07, 2015, 02:42:20 pm »
If you are still looking for a lotus Sam, a lad at my work worked for a lotus race team for a while. Knows his stuff about s1's s2's exige and all the relevant race mods etc for the lotus cup

Offline StigSamu

• Members
« Reply #458 on: September 19, 2015, 02:38:24 pm »
Done any more investigation on the suspension?

From my experience it seems your car sits a bit high at the rear, the car will be alot more settled when brakeing and does not transfer all the weight to the front if it is lower.
When it comes to tyres, I have had problems getting max out of used racing slicks, even when I track the temeratures, pressure and wheel alignement cloesly. I have tested with both r888 and a048 in 175 and 185/60-13s liking the soft 048s the best. The next I will test is toyo in 225/45-13s on 8"s to find the last seconds before we add more power. 

What camber values are you running f/r?

Offline matthew85

• Members
« Reply #459 on: December 07, 2015, 02:59:46 pm »
oh bloody hell, haven't seen this for a while. Looks nice! out of interest, how have you widened your front end? I used spacers..

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #460 on: January 03, 2016, 09:12:28 pm »
Low offset wheels, adjustable TCA/compression strut  :)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #461 on: January 03, 2016, 09:30:45 pm »
Tinkering is continuing on the Polo, a few rust issues to sort on the floor pan, and I'd like to tidy up the interior too. Have some plans with the fuel tank/exhaust, and as usual the quest to save weight continues  :)

First up was a smaller fuel tank:

Untitled by Peter Strange, on Flickr

It's approximately 15 litres - should help fuel starvation on long right-hand corners, and frees up some room so I can move the exhaust forward of the rear axle.

The main reason for the strip was to repair the battery tray, and stop the pedal box flexing in that area. Leaking bulkhead plays havoc with old stitch welding  :-(

With a fair amount of work being done on the floor, I decided to make a spit - a friend was making one for his rally car too, so a material order was placed and duly delivered.

After some tea, grinding, welding, and a few laser cut pieces, it was ready:

Which made stripping underseal far easier!

Subframe left in at the front, to assist keeping it rigid on the spit:

Inside I've begun stripping the underseal on the existing stitch welding, and I'll prepare some other seams for welding, I've also started removing brackets that aren't required, and generally tidy things up a little.

Spanish steel isn't too forgiving when using a spot weld drill... hence a few 'b****cks' moments where there are some holes! Nothing a welder can't solve.

Weapons of choice for the next few months!

I'm planning on an engine update too, and making the most of the 02J - so looking into some bigger tyres, and some supporting mods to go with them.

Cheers

Pete

Offline scully

• Members
« Reply #462 on: January 04, 2016, 07:42:48 am »
Looking forward to the updates.  :)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #463 on: January 06, 2016, 09:26:19 am »
well you've never been one to do things by half yoof!  you reckon you'll be at any track days this year then?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #464 on: January 06, 2016, 11:20:55 am »
well you've never been one to do things by half yoof!  you reckon you'll be at any track days this year then?

Yeah! Got two options, Volvo or R26...  ;D