Author Topic: Yoof's Turbo  (Read 212001 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Yoof's Turbo
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 11:42:34 am »
Cheers Jez- hoping it should be good when complete  :)

You're correct on the turbo- downpipe is a crap fit, and only 60mm, so I'll remake it a touch bigger too  ;)

Mk3 will be trailered next Friday- which means a certain blue mk1 comes back up  ;D

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 07:46:39 pm »
Sounds like you got your work cut out there mate, im seriously struggling with one let alone two  :D !!

Keep the updates coming dude

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2009, 10:39:39 pm »
Also have customers down most weekends...  ;D

Mostly Hayesey or Robin taking up my free time at the moment  :P

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 07:57:36 pm »
Busy busy then... My car will be running in the new year so i might have to take a trip up to meet you guys one weekend. Good excuse to put a few miles under her belt on the run in too!

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 10:41:08 pm »
lookin good yoof exact same turbo setup as im going for next. so ill be able to pester you to see what its like. you not fancy going to better management?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2009, 06:01:33 am »
Hmmm, no such thing as better management really- more features yes, but not better really.

Polo PP have about £1k worth of mapping gear, I like digifant so I'm mapping it up, can still have switchable maps and launch control etc, just got to know how to do it  :) Good to know you're trying the K03 first, I'm hoping I like the GT25....  ???

Jez- aye pop up mate, should be looking abit more unit like in the coming months hopefully.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2009, 01:31:36 pm »
oh well you dont need anything else then if you can do that with digifant. i have went dta as nobody for miles can map mine.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2009, 07:20:43 pm »
Yeah, DTA has many good features such as second bank injection, sequential injection, wasted spark, traction control, boost in gear etc etc but it's a lot if cash and I'd not use half the features to be honest, be good to see how you get on with it though mate.

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2009, 10:58:19 am »
yoof your cars great big inspiration for people i think, couple of questions thought, with what turbo setup did u make 200 bhp was it a ko3if it was how can you safley run 21psi of boost?? if it was what manifold where u using? did u run forged pistons and what size block was it ? did u use aquamist? or all of these things trade secrets?? 2 more questions for you these are the main two really, what brakes do you use ? and what suspension set up do you use coilovers?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2009, 01:56:11 pm »
Hi Mate,

Thanks for the comments- I ran 203bhp with a K03 turbo at 21psi, used a 250kPa map sensor (which we sell in the traders section) and a decent custom map.

I used a rothe manifold and downpipe connected to one of our 63mm systems, the block is overbored to 1341cc and uses Accralite pistons, although I'd use Wossner ones if I was doing it again (lower compression ratio). I also use aquamist.

The engine is nothing special, it's the refinement, calibration and set-up of everything which takes the time, and makes the most out of everything.

I use 256mm brakes with EBC yellowstuff pads, RBF600 Fluid, and standard Golf 16v Brembo discs. I've used various suspension set-ups over the years, combinations of springs rates, cup car dampers and bilstien motorsport items, I'm currently settling on a G40 cup car kit though, with some additions to the track control arms, and custom top mounts, not forgetting a Polo-PP stage 3 subframe :)

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Pete

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2009, 02:10:56 pm »
cheers this has been very helpful i am thinking of going turbo next year i was just wondering if the emtec kit was worth the extra money but im only after around 200bhp so if this is achivable with the cheaper ko3 rothe set up i will probably use that, does the ko3 spool up quicker than the turbo offered with the emtec kit think its a garret t25/28 hybrid (dunno if im right my german isnt that great !) cause i really like having the instant boost of a g charger but dont want to have to keep servicing it , and wanna run higher boost than a bar when i strip the engine out n rebuild it next year.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 02:30:24 pm by dub-disaster »

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2009, 02:32:53 pm »
If your aim is 200bhp then I'd stick with a K03.

Mine has gone a little further than that, partly to promote the business, and partly for my own amusement. The K03 is great for the road, depending on camshaft choice you can have full boost by 2750rpm (over 20psi) which means peak torque is just over 3000rpm at 180lbft+

Although it sounds strange I'd reccomend the Rothe kit over the Emtec, there's a fair amount of chopping and fabrication I've got to do until I'm happy with it to be honest.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2009, 02:35:21 pm »
Whilst my Mk3 is away, mine and Andy's Mk1 has returned home:

Lots to do!

Offline kenny

• Members
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2009, 12:11:00 am »
Excellent thread mate  ;) I noticed in another section of the forum that your in chelford in cheshire? I live in Macclesfield just down the road. Would love to see your polos in the flesh sometime and maybe also ask your opinion on a few ideas of my own.
Keep up all your good work mate. It's well worth it .

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2009, 04:03:26 pm »
Cheers, will hopefully be at some shows and Oulton Park a fair amount in 2010  :)

Recent progress:

;)