Author Topic: Turbo cam choice - from experienced users please!  (Read 10358 times)

Offline dan1300r

• Members
Re: Turbo cam choice - from experienced users please!
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2013, 11:39:12 pm »
I now have a dyno result: Ran the 196deg HZ cam with a K04-015 turbo (the one with the small/K03 hot side) at 1.2 bar and got 218ftlb torque at 3100rpm and 172bhp @ 5100rpm (not too far from my 180@5500 prediction). Tried to add another few PSI and the power fell right off, so the cam is choking it up after here but what I do have is boost starting at 2200rpm and holding full boost from 3500rpm right through to red. No lag is noticeable, it drives like an with a nice straight line on the graph. Lovely silky drive. I still want to see what the GT cam does.. Additionally, does anyone know how much better a GT inlet manifold will be over a ported G40 one? I know it may help ultimate HP but I'm worried the extra flow may increase lag?
I hope my memory served me well when I wrote this down! I have now posted my dyno results - I wrote this from memory as I remembered my dyno man telling me over the phone... All will see how my memory served me.. I don't like to tell lies if I can help myself. I don't think I named these runs correctly on the attachments but open them and I have wrote the details of platform used there. I am not so good at using computers!

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2013, 11:47:59 pm »
I have attached dyno printouts for my breadbin as it has progressed, I have added notes on each as to the platform I have used, I have a drop-off and pick-up on the GT cam and inlet run due to wheelspin, not a flatspot.
I have wrongly named the attachments according to platform used but open them up and I have wrote on them what parts I have put in to get the results I have. Sorry for confusion..

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2013, 08:44:59 am »
Plot with the GT inlet is very strange- peak 281lbft (also 247bhp)!!!

Did he get a clean run with this setup on? Be interesting to see the results for sure- decent amount of torque spread, would make it nice to drive on the road I think.

GT inlet vs. G40 - in terms of response due to inlet system filling, hardly anything compared to running a larger intercooler for instance.

Nice work  ;D

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2013, 06:48:44 pm »
My dyno man will best explain any queries on the graph. Jonathan 07766224910. The torque figure he tells me is not correct due to wheelspin and the dyno trying to hold it back?? He reckons the horsepower is right but that the torque figure will be more like 250lb. The dip on the run was down to wheelspin and then gripping again. I will repost when I've done the bottom end and put the ATB diff in the gearbox, should get a better run for the torque figure then. I have g40 clocks fitted and it I have had it up to 145mph uphill with 2 pals in (on a track). I can't believe how quick it is, 3rd gear doesn't just overtake cars it jumps over them! I like it but the boost has found the bottom end's weaknesses. I am also shocked at how well it drives off boost, only a slight amount of lag and it's very predictable around town and it doesn't take much rpm to get it angry. It's worked really well, all these months of mulling around about roller bearing turbos/bigger turbos/hotter cams.. This has been an awesome compromise. I do need a 6th gear for sure or longer last 3 to see it's best. I was terrified at 145 as it was almost revved out, and will do easily I reckon 150 but was scared of it going pop in it's current state.. I do need to fettle its guts up before taking it above this!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2013, 07:29:52 pm »
realy good results with plenty of torque well done you must be happy with this. What clutch you running? with that sort of torque the transmission must take a bit of a pounding. What do you mean when you say the boost has found telhe bottom ends weakness??

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2013, 09:25:30 pm »
I'm really pleased yes, and I believe in my my man's dyno too, he does a lot of custom builds and you get to see the before and after results on stock vehicles and it's close - actually reads many factory cars at less than manufacturer ratings. Well trusted round our way anyway. The bottom end's weaknesses - Just that it's obviously slightly worn as it's letting by on no3 piston (did leakage test) and it's blowing a lot of oil into my breather catch tank, I have vented the aux air valve to atmosphere to stop boost getting through this way, took block breather check valve out and vented both this breather and rocker breather into catch tank and it's blowing oil out the tank and into engine bay.. I am looking for a bottom end to build up to fix this, never showed any issues with G Lader but this amount of boost is finding any leaks.. Need to fix before I go any further, I think it will do more as the air temps are staying low and it's not showing any sign of flow issues and the K04-015 is holding boost all the way 'til it limits.. Just my injectors are almost maxed at 89% (350cc/3bar) but I've since discovered that no3 plug is rather white so I think I have a lean injector and the other 3 are making it smell right at the exhaust, didn't think 350's would be so high duty wise on such a small motor.. Going to try some of those Hong Kong £99 440cc specials next time hehe  :D I'm a chinese junk fan! After all, these guys make a lot of stuff for the big names to put their stickers on.. I bought the G40 I broke up off a guy on here a couple of years back that had a well sorted platform (Leon Britton J350 RBR) and only know it has a fast road clutch of some description.. It seems to have all the bits he said it had.. 1341 etc. I had to laugh at the claimed 165bhp though.. I took it home - I think he sold it as he could never get it to run right - Got it on the dyno and it was 87bhp!! Had the wrong dizzy on that was 7deg retarded at max advance, ran cooking hot for obvious reasons, cooling fan was hard wired, thermostat was missing and he'd replaced every sensor. The dizzy would have fixed all of this. I quickly decided to run DTA managment etc, It has worked well for me..

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2013, 09:42:14 pm »

Did he get a clean run with this setup on? Be interesting to see the results for sure- decent amount of torque spread, would make it nice to drive on the road I think.

GT inlet vs. G40 - in terms of response due to inlet system filling, hardly anything compared to running a larger intercooler for instance.

Nice work  ;
On my HZ cam run it was 172hp with the ported g40 manifold. The GT inlet allowed another 10hp with the same amount of boost = 182hp

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 10:02:45 pm »
Nice to see the plots up here Dan, real nice chatting to you and I'm stoked the GT bits made such an impact.

Road-trip will have to be on the cards soon

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2013, 11:06:15 pm »
Do come up, you can take it for a run, I'll put some oil in for you!! It was an unexpected phenomenon to see it jump like it did. If you find that bottom end let me know (if you decide to sell it) Cheers  :)

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2013, 11:08:27 pm »
Do come up, you can take it for a run, I'll put some oil in for you!! It was an unexpected phenomenon to see it jump like it did. If you find that bottom end let me know (if you decide to sell it) Cheers  :)
Oh and thanks for selling me the bits, you helped speed things up for me.. Well done!

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 11:17:12 pm »

Nice work  ;
On my HZ cam run it was 172hp with the ported g40 manifold. The GT inlet allowed another 10hp with the same amount of boost = 182hp
I used a Z20LET Vauxhall Astra Turbo intercooler with custom end tanks. It hides nicely in front of my alloy radiator. The car looks completely bgx standard outside, nice and sleepy

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 04:01:38 pm »
Crackers results from this mate, get a build thread up so we can see the bredbin!

Offline dan1300r

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 09:50:53 pm »
If I can sum up the energy to do one in between work and their demands I shall have a go. I do have some pics of the car during various stages of rebuilding it but all I have of the mechanical side is a pic of it without an engine and then a pic with.. I didn't do the internet side of things, I thought I was the only one doing what I was doing and then I discovered this forum and became ill with Polos. If I'd have seen what people do on here I'd have taken more care with a pictorial  :-\

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2013, 08:58:27 am »
Dan you said you're running 250cc G60 injectors (dyno man had written 350cc), I've got a set of 315cc here (plenty of fuel for this spec) cleaned & serviced instead of some Chinese specials (Robin is the only Chinese special allowed)

Drop me a PM if they're of use- be cheaper than the eBay jobs too

Also just a note- if the torque figure is out, so is the power  ;)

Get some fat boys out the local pub to stand on the front next time  ;D