Author Topic: Etches G40 (2)  (Read 55258 times)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Re: Etches G40 (2)
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2013, 07:08:32 pm »
Cheers Gaz means alot man!

Nice pic from last weekend

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2013, 07:22:02 pm »
No probs dude. You from sheffield? Think i saw you two year ago at elsecar show

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2013, 08:49:24 pm »
been looking forward to some full car photos to be put up, as said looks awesome, amazing job on the bay too.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #63 on: May 14, 2013, 10:15:15 am »
After a brain fart whilst chucking the vac pipes together I'd plugged the BOV pre throttle which had been restricting the boost for the 500 miles i'd done so far( Cheers Andy). I've cranked the actuator rod up and swapped the vac pipes over. Now seeing around 0.9 bar so a little tweaking is needed. The map is far better after turning the boost up and swapping the pipes over, still a little blip of leaness 20% throttle but its pretty decent for an off the shelf one!

One of my rear top mounts popped through the rear turret so I needed to sort that out the other day, just used some bits off the old suspension so that was all good. Still got the oil leak from the oil cooler sandwich plate but I've ordered a thermostatic one now so that can go on in 100 miles with the oil and filter swap.

All I can say is that I nearly shit myself when the boost went up to 0.9 bar haha, feels wrong having a polo with the amount of power its got lol, cant imagine what 200+ would feel like . Needs the tracking sorting out again and some more bits ordering but I'm too busy with uni and that finishes in 2 weeks!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2013, 09:19:11 pm »
Cleaned the car for the lowdown meet (Y)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #65 on: July 10, 2013, 11:52:48 am »
Right then, not updated this for ages as I've been so busy finishing uni exams, dissertation getting it through MOT etc so I'll get you right up to date.

Mot Time came the week after uni finished, this was the emmissions...

Also failed on a couple other bits including steering rack boot, wipers, bulb and horn.

Managed to sort all them out other than the emissions so was all good for a bit until I could sort that problem out.

Next came the splitting of my oil cooler line

Fecking shit, never buy a cheap one off ebay even if it does have braided hoses and more rows for cheaper than the mocal version!

My road loves me...

The p-slot wheels I've had on my car for a while were just a stepping stone to let me get the wheels I actually wanted. Impulse came me and a couple of mates went to fetch these...

All of em had 4 coats of paint and maybe one layer of powder coat, I attempted to remove the paint...

Nitromors is completely shat, I spent hours on em and still couldn't get the finish I wanted.

A quick conversation with a local lad led to me taking them to BatchGlow, shot and powder £30 a wheel.

Which looked completely sick. I got lucky with these as they were advertised as 4x98 et 20 M05s but they actually fit 4x100 and have the vw centre bore !

Heres a comparison of the offset difference between my old set and the new..

As the offset was 18mm further outwards I needed to raise the coils up to see what the deal was with fitting. Mk1 rear coils need modifying slightly so the working travel of the adjustability isn't to low so these were sorted off Kiz

Difficult to fit when you are chucking a few things on the thread of the coil strut , took a couple of days but it got sorted eventually,

A trip to my mates garage a couple of fridays ago enabled us to sort the timing, CO emissions, solder some wiring (my terrible rushed version needed redoing) and fitting a new blue temp sender. Managed to get the emissions through which is decent and it runs better now!

After that got the tyres with new valves all sorted and fitted (Y)

Also I've got some other bits and bobs to sort, including some new seats, relocating both battery and washer bottle, and this strut brace Stinky Pete made for me.

Weld in for the harnesses to be attached to. Just needs a good clean now before fuelled society and bugjam!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2013, 02:56:23 pm »
Bit of a better angle

« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 03:01:37 pm by etches69 »

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2013, 03:26:13 pm »
They look awesome! Really like them, suit the car so well! And refurbs at that price?! Bargain!!
car is looking good man :)
you turned the boost up yet?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2013, 04:01:27 pm »
Cheers man, had the boost at a bar for a while now! Just need to sort the mist (order the jets n bits) before I can sort turning it up to 22-23 psi! Will be sending off my spare ecu for a bigger sensor and ppp map. Hopefully sorted for vw action

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2013, 09:30:34 pm »
Nice work dude. U gunna bugjam a take it then? Gunna be runnin up the strip? Am off in my passat as gees at body shop :(

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #70 on: July 13, 2013, 09:38:49 pm »
Nice work dude. U gunna bugjam a take it then? Gunna be runnin up the strip? Am off in my passat as gees at body shop :(

Which bodyshop have you used, I thinking about finally getting mine back on the road but it could do with a respray and some rust sorting out?

Offline gaz g40

• Members
« Reply #71 on: July 14, 2013, 09:20:43 am »
DC paintworks in doncaster mate. Fair priced and always busy with work which means hea got a good rep :) where u based?

Offline NeilG40

• Members
« Reply #72 on: July 14, 2013, 09:22:43 am »
About 4 doors down from your house ;D

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2013, 10:07:26 am »
Just a few pics from fueled society

a fuzzy one from the lowdown meet!