Author Topic: Etches G40 (2)  (Read 55520 times)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Re: Etches G40 (2)
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2013, 05:41:02 pm »
Managed to scoop a facebook competition prize from here ;http://www.dirtyjoks.co.uk/

Used the Orchard Autocare Perfection product, smells awesome and produces a really good shine!

Paints all ready, just need to sort the trims the day before GTI Fest

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #91 on: October 10, 2013, 03:30:30 pm »
Update;

Polo's having textured bumpers it's a nightmare to keep them looking properly black, Haslam mentioned this stuff so hopefully it lasts a while. Saying that I've only heard good things about it.

It's been a couple of months in the making but I've finally got all the pieces I needed to relocate the battery to the boot.

This is the kit car alloy battery tray which is finished in crackle black, seriously light weight and had 8 mounting points so it's fixed solid in the boot.

Used a dual 25mm connection block to join the bay wiring to the new 25mm wire I had to go the battery. Can see my brown battery tray (from the rust) which needs addressing at some point. I wrapped over the wire a few times with insulation tape to squeeze the wire into the hole I had drilled in the bulkhead, now its fixed solid so no rubbing hopefully.

I used a mega fuse holder with a 150amp fuse as this would blow before the wire would melt (200amp), bitch is that 5m of the cable just wasnt enough to route the wire round the side of the boot so at some point I'll have to extend it from the fuse terminal so it shouldn't be too messy. The battery tray came with a ratchet strap so it's held firmly down now, fingers crossed this solves a major rattle I had up front from the rusty battery tray. I did want the battery behind the passenger seat but the frames I'm using at the minute won't budge any further, at some point in the future I will fix the buckets properly and decide wether I want to move it further.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #92 on: October 20, 2013, 01:46:18 pm »
Had a mission on tuesday through the peaks to Crewe 150 mile round trip in the G after the weekend going down to santa pod. Finally broke the 3k barrier since the rebuild. First issues appeared with the G on the way home. Speedo stopped working (dodgy cable) which had fluctuation in readings for a while so that was expected to go pop at some point, lost 1st and 2nd gear (I assumed it to be a loose gearbox mount bolt as having a subframe tends to work the bolt out) and one of the exhaust hangers snapped on the backbox. Sorted the mount issue the following day by putting a 10mm longer bolt through it, then went down to exhausts uk to sort my backbox (25 year garuntee)

They ended up doubling one mount and lowering the exhaust a bit to lose a bit of the rigidity which caused the failure. They also braced the backbox to strengthen it against flexing at the joint. More updates paydayish

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #93 on: May 01, 2014, 10:40:53 pm »
So ... exhale.

This hasnt been updated since October wtf! Shit loads of bits n bobs has happened since then and I've managed to keep some pics.

Due to the impending job/house move decided after a couple of trips buckets wern't a viable option, back to the standard in my opinion;

With the need to get rid of shit for me moving away from Sheff, ended up doing a swap instead which went against the idea of selling stuff haha (cheers Martin)

Briefly took a moment to look how far I'd come in 2 years of ownership

After a trial fit I decided that seeing as I had a sunroof, I couldnt have a full cage anyway without sorting that issue or sitting the seats on the actual floorpan. So the plan was to sort out a decent half cage out,

Whilst this was happening began 40 hours of solid labour of moving and driving for 1200 miles in this beast

So now I live in Cumbria and work here

The G found its way to a new home, a little bit better than a really steep road where its had multiple gearbox and engine swaps

Old leads were looking manky on the inside so treated the G to a set of magnecores

With the Cage ready to go in it went down the other afternoon, where a nightmare went down

Hello fire and fuel lines! Good thing my fire extinguisher was to hand as my mate .Brad. put it out fairly quickly, just a bit of scorched paint and had to bridge the broken fuel lines which was very lucky really.

Turned out like this - Cheers .Brad. awesome skills man

Spotted this in Brads unit and had to have it, now got the bottle nicely in the boot!

This is currently how I'm looking, already started to re route wiring to tidy it up and I've ordered some tesa tape to re cover them too. Got some plans for before Bujam and before Action too.

It's not running properly at the min, shitting itself at 10psi so got loads of things to pick through over the next coming weeks aswell as sorting some stuff for the MOT. Worst part is the fact the pedal box  has bent and is touching the steering column, got a spare which Brad is guna stitch for me to try and prevent future failures aswell as plating the bulkhead.

Till next time.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2014, 08:47:10 pm »
Had a fair old crack this weekend on the car, pedal box has been bent and getting worse for a while. Managed to source a used one, so had the ball ache of getting the old en off. This was the issue found with the old box;

Cracked around the spot welds, was rubbing on the steering column too which wasn't pleasant.

Used one got stitch welded around the join on one side,

Extra bracing and triangulation to stop it bending/ cracking again

Feels much better now so I can concentrate on the mods before bugjam. Its defo a job for winter sorting the full bias pedal box set up!

Cheers for the welding again Bradley!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #95 on: May 26, 2014, 10:34:00 pm »
Mot is coming up so it prompted a bit of work, well that and this.....

Happened just after a 220 mile trip so thank god i was 2 streets away from my house and I could drive in first gear there haha! Fingers crossed it was caused by the warping of the pedal box so a new cable should see the problem fixed till winter!

First job for the Mot was the handbrake/ braking system. Its been shite for a while so it needed a refurb. Driver side wasnt too bad.

Mintex shoes and new handbrake cables. Came to the passenger side, wasnt so pretty...

Clearly the cylinder is shot (hence a very spongey brake pedal and shite handbrake) . Ordered a 11mm brake pipe spanner to sort these as no where in Barrow sells it! Waiting for that to sort a new cylinder out and bleed the system.

After chucking the washer bottle in the boot, takes a while for the fluid to reach the jets. Got a tiguan 1 way valve to sort that issue

Then a school boy mod, got a section of boot to delete this properly but sorted a bung for the time being, that and swap my rear sprayed vw badge for a black plastic one.

Update soon for the front brake assembly!

Offline AdzCM

• Members
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »
Did you ever get the 10psi boost problem sorted?

Thanks a bunch for the pics of the welding job on the pedal. Think mine is on the way out. I have the paddle clutch in and it has to be adjusted far too much for it to engage the clutch fully [no slack in clutch fork I.e. release bearing touching pressure plate all the time] - also my brake pedal moves to the side a bit as I press the clutch pedal [read that Taylor said this happens when the pedal box is shot]

Is yours fine now with the extra triangular supports welded in? Must get this done!

Adrian

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2014, 09:53:10 pm »
Its odd , it only does it part throttle then going to full. When I fully plant it, its fine. Needs a new map and properly setting up. Pedal box has been fine pal, just hope it doesnt keep snapping cables!

Update :)

Old v new

All together on the pass side

Managed to get some more new parts , Corrado 22mm master cylinder

Chucked the brake reservoir in the dish washer then assembled!

Got some new toys  (H)

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #98 on: May 27, 2014, 09:55:56 pm »
http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/p1rik/image_zps03289657.jpg

The way forward, definitely doing this september
yeah Adrian your pedal box is probably on its way out, they normally have a little movement side to side, but if your brake pedal moves a fair amount when depressing the clutch its about time
your paddle clutch will annihilate it
when i had mine (toms now) in i went through two pedal boxes in about 6 months!! wrecks them! on my third with a normal clutch now! and even that snapped a cable in france! so box came back off, never found the problem in the end. but not long until pedal box :D

Also wheres that rado master cylinder from tom? looks good quality :)

Taylor

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #99 on: May 28, 2014, 06:55:24 am »
I'm defo doing mine this winter aswell Taylor, cba with the standard one as its still mega heavy now. The above picture is a decent solution but I still havnt found the place to pick the OMP pedal set up! Plus mine actually needs a paddle anyways so may aswell do it.

Its a VW in box part I got off Sam a couple of years ago dude, really nice part actually. I'm guna re do the whole braking system this winter already got a rear disc convertion , willwood fronts with a bias pedal box etc. This is mainly for the MOT and summer tanning!

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #100 on: May 28, 2014, 07:31:46 am »
Wilwood and pedal box will be pretty formidable!!!
Omp don't make pedal boxes, the one in the pic is and opm universal box notice how similar they are :P

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2014, 09:58:19 pm »
Been messing about with the G again today.

Old

New

Used an Ezi Bleed kit, which I might add is awesome. Looked like the fluid hadnt been changed in years

Really really nasty!

Went over a significant amount of the loom today too, included lengthening a few bits to tidy it up out the way. Tesa tape is absolutely banging, looks the business

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2014, 08:51:07 pm »
Todays job was general tidying up, sorted the horn wiring. Found two blown fuses, stopped an oil leak at a sender then gave the old girl a full wash.

Offline Jester

• Members
  • I have to return some videotapes.
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2014, 09:33:06 pm »
Looking really nice Tom, I like the cage setup

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #104 on: June 03, 2014, 10:05:44 pm »
Cheers dude, wish I was positive..

MOT booked for monday. Started prodding around a few rusty holes and it got out of hand lol

1st spot

Oops!

The rest..

Plenty of late nights required this week.. ie needs to be finished thursday night!  (N)