Author Topic: Etches G40 (2)  (Read 55145 times)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
Etches G40 (2)
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:02:46 pm »
Right as many of you know on the 13/01/2011 I had my previous motor stolen from outside my house. Ended up on the back of a truck n scrapped for £100 of which some chinese bloke is enjoying his breakfast eating off it now. But anyways had about a month without a car deciding what to do next really. I ideally wanted a mk1 polo as I think there retro cool, but the amount of dollar for what you get with them is not what i needed. After doing some work on Kays car n having a room full of expensive bits for a polo i decided that i hadnt achieved what i wanted from a mk3 yet. So after a few quick txts i managed to grab this, tdh_syorks old motor.

Wank Iphone pic.

Ran it like that for a couple of months not having to do anything to keep the girl running. Other than the driver side window mech breaking nothing went wrong! A problem i bought the car with was a clutch which was about to die a painful death, fortunately got one included with the car. So chucked the clutch n new cable in and that was sorted.

Then the exhaust started getting very loud so had a trip down to exhausts uk , had a hole in the flexi mech. So i got the cat chopped out at the same time and a new flexi chucked on.
On the way home from getting that fixed joe n me enjoyed getting rear ended on shalesmoor rd about on penistone rd! With insurance sorting our whiplash claims within 2 days i brought the car to ADR in chesterfield to get the dent removed. Spot it if you can.

Tashing around in the skoda they lent me was a ball, but getting back into driving the G it felt like a righht hassle!

Big bang was approaching fast so i needed to get rid of the 13" BBS that provided little traction. Managed to pick up the people choice  :/ , with a little sand paper and spray paint

Some rear coils i picked up for £20 got blasted on at the same time

Made a massive school boy error n didnt realise which way coilovers adjusted, ended up with the bbs wheels in the boot and the coilies wound down to the last thread!!
The ride was comfy but the back was lowerd 120mm and the from 40! Massssive speed boat.  Then i thought about all the shit I needed to carry down to pod and ended up winding em all the way up. Which if im brutally honest made the car feel like a waterbed.

Nobody believed me when I said you will feel physically sick when driving it. Only for my mechanic mate nathan to drive it round the block and bounce the back end of the floor on a bump it was that stiff. More adjustment ment the helper spring was loosened and the ride height was still speedboat, but acceptable untill i can get some front coils. After promts from Lee managed to pick up some front clear indis from ECP for cheaps so them n some clear side ones went on before BB.

A clean the morning that we left meant that it looked like this

Here are a few from pod

Managed to get 30 runs on the friday, which resulted in my best time of 14.97 which i was chuffed about.

Got a few engine problems on the way home , turned out to be the AF gauge disconnecting itself causing the lamda not to work, with that fixed and 4 new tires that cost me £220 fitted its driving good for now, shame the mot ran out on the 4th april lol.  MOT is on friday which it should fly through.

Got some good plans for this one

Including using my turbo bits, getting another wishbone frame on PPP this time and more.

Offline josé

• Members
Re: Etches G40 (2)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2011, 03:07:32 pm »
may i suggest a good alarm if you haven't already got one fitted to deter the thieving rotters from taking this G

nice motor btw  :)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:13:05 pm »
Fortunately came with a cat 1 clifford alarm! Its got a motion sensor so literally beeps at everyone who goes past, can be annoying though.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 11:18:56 pm »
This one is now on the Big Bang home page

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 09:15:14 am »
Right not updated this in a while, been a little busy.

Lister was sorting some wheels of kays out so thought it would be rude not to get these done, have had em lying around for about a year!

They had the side repeaters smoothed off already and I got Chris to sort out the polo ariel hole.

First of all I wanted to take off the side strips, which Tom managed to seal on so well it took me 2 days to get em off and some paint got taken off in the process :(

Wing off

New wing on

Old New comparison

New wing off

My doors need some proper tlc :( I prepped the wing and trims for undersealing

Fully sealed inside and out

Just need the paint machine polishing everywhere else now haha

Coupe S arch trim, cut to fit pop riveted on and tiger sealed

Chucked on a ford splitter, still need to do the passenger side arch trim

Offline Boris

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:40:26 am »
Fortunately came with a cat 1 clifford alarm! Its got a motion sensor so literally beeps at everyone who goes past, can be annoying though.
The motion sensor bubble range can be adjusted so that doesn't happen, I.e. Bubble is within the car and not extending outside.  Just take it to someone who fits them.  ;)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 01:21:24 pm »
Not updated this in too long!

Since the last update, had front coils fitted with adjustable top mounts and polybushed the control arms.

Now I've been collecting turbo parts for about a year n a half which looks like this

Got a rad brace from Dan which will get some new holes to move the rad across for the intercooler

Ended up lookin like this

Now the charger has been whipped off

Turbo has been offered up to see clearance

Changed the mount and the sump to one with my fitting on, still got plenty to do yet!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 10:09:24 am »
Busy week ,

New 268 268 (shrick copy) newman has been put in .
Put the AAV alternator and tensioner set up on, turbo actually mounted with downpipe including new studs and copper nuts all round.
I've also moved the radiator across to allow for the intercoolers inlet and outlet hose. Inlet feeds for water and oil have been sorted for the turbo too and the oil cooler plate is on which  is a tight squeeze and my pressure sender is mounted to that too. Pics to follow

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 05:46:42 pm »
Right then fairly busy last week, cam got changed for a newman G40 turbo cam

Changed over the alternator set up to the AAV one which involved changing the bottom pulley, replaced the waterpump and cambelt whilst I was there . Timing was a bake but was easier with two people.

Turbo is now on and all studs and nuts changed

Swapped my inlet over to a ported GT one thanks to one of my mates, my old one turned out to be a ported G40 one!

Plumbed in all the turbo water and oil fittings with custom made lines, here the sump one which another mate welded the fitting to.

Chucked the oil cooler plate on too which turned out to be a tight squeeze as my oil pressure reg is on one of the take offs

Put the oil inlet feed through the rocker cover plus this shows the shiiney forge actuator too

The inlet comes from one of the senders in the head, can see the G60 green injectors which have been flow tested and they've got jackets on too

Bigger throttle body (PSD 51mm) with the switch taken out to make room for  6psi boost one

This is how it stands at the min, still a fair amount of stuff to do

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2012, 04:56:33 pm »
Heres of the pic of the exhaust I got done to match the k03 downpipe

The answer is yes I've gone for using a middle box as a back box lol. It gave me better ground clearance

Thats why is was a little loud before the turbo went down haha

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2012, 05:19:05 pm »
Another busy day again, most of the front end off for intercooler mods

The bumper crash bar is getting chopped a fair amount when I get to borrow an angle grinder. Then next came this, a PPP stage 3 frame!

Which fit fine (actually abotu 2 hours which is good time) apart from that it fouled on the downpipe. This is the downpipe with the cut marked out so Exhaust uk can make it actually clear the frame.

The frame is all on now and bolted up making the camber look like its going to be rather large ..

I'm sure this will go back to the degree I've set on my adjustable top mounts!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:19:02 pm »
Right another busy time, started off with abit of pain

Phil J's downpipe unfortunately fouled on the subframe so I've cut it above it so exhaust uk can sort that problem out for me.

Next inline was the fan cover  ( I've painted it since )

Then i've sorted the boost pipes although I'm not happy with the intercooler to turbo bit yet (its not perfect)

Then I needed to make way for the intercooler which took a lot of pissing about and Im still not that happy with the way it sits!

The bumper iron saw the grinder alot, it may need beefing up in the centre when i've got everything sitting right.

Next step is the oil cooler!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2012, 07:14:17 pm »
Right then another update

Oil cooler was a right nightmare to fit as its a 16 row one which is rather large heres how it ended up

All the other odds and sods included a little wiring gauges etc which ill take a pic of later on and the wideband.

Here's how the bay looks now ( Im currently waiting on a rocker cover atm)

Heres it is before I drove it down to EUK to sort out this problem

The first run it needed the battery charging (cheers Joe) and it sprung to life without too much groan. Throttle cable needed adjusting and it settled down to about 1100 rpm which i was chuffed without the lambda doing anything.

There are a running issues to sort out yet  (calibrating the pressure switch), adjusting the actuator to 15 psi and getting tracking done on the subframe. Hopefully I can sort these out after i get it back from EUK tomorrow.

In terms of the way it drives, I drove like a granny down to the exhaust place and it sounds naughty. I can't wait to hear it at max boost!

Offline dub-disaster

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2012, 11:39:38 pm »
was that a genuine new vw wing or a pattern part? did you trail for it prior to having it painted? if it was a pattern part and a good fit where'd you get it from ??

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2012, 09:03:27 am »
They are pattern pal as you can tell from the passenger side panel gap :/ Annoyed me to hell ! I got em from ECP for 60 for em both which was a good deal.