Author Topic: Etches G40 (2)  (Read 55143 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Etches G40 (2)
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2014, 09:16:28 am »
Just looked through 30 pages of Pm's Andy and couldnt find the chap off here who I bought em from! Do you run a gasket on the feed?

Fortunately there is a weld bead which shows the orientation but Ill Sharpie marker it to be sure!

Its lasted 6k miles so not very good at all, fortunately I've just nabbed those poly engine mounts so hopefully that stops the engine moving as much.

It will happen again- a poor design.

If you look at a good manifold design, the flange will be oversized to allow the pipe/collector to protrude through it, giving more surface area for stresses to be distributed through, and generally more than one face to weld.

I'd be tempted to brace the turbo dude, and revise anything that's bolted to it (exhaust downpipe, boost pipes etc)

Least you've got it fixed for Polo Show  ;D

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2014, 10:21:45 am »
When you going pedal box? Decided which to go for?

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2014, 11:28:16 pm »
PeteG40- Turns out the driver one was upside down!

Pete - Yeah I know dude, since I've had it on its been nothing but trouble. All of the turbo braces I've seen have been quite extravagant designs. Ill have a think and see whats available to brace the turbo to. If it starts costing too much though would make me start to re evaluate the manifold itself! If it lasts till sept I'll be happy as it will be having an overhaul this winter.

If I were to source another manifold I'd struggle to rule out getting a roller bearing turbo though.

Taylor - I'm desperate to sort the pedal box man its happened again, even with all the bracing. Scrubbing on the steering column again ffs . I'm thinking a willwood floor mounted one. Going to be a lot of work to sort out though!

Got busy today. Changed all of the engine mounts for the poly ones and gave the bay a once over

Then managed to give the outside a quick wash

I've filled the boot with loads of polo stuff to sell at polo show :)

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2014, 11:56:59 pm »
It's cracked again already!!! Shit! That sucks!!

I wanted floor mounted but the floor goes up at quite an angle
Yeah whatever we do its going to require some serious surgery! Mines got to last my trip to Wales next week and then she's getting stripped and fully rebuilt ready for Switzerland 2015 :)

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #124 on: June 19, 2014, 12:10:28 am »
Tbf I'm prob going to chop and reweld the floor and maybe the bulkhead. Get some thicker plate on it too. All good fun I suppose.

Mine will have done about 8k miles and it will get a freshen up haha

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #125 on: June 19, 2014, 06:06:44 am »
Is your battery tray and bulkhead behind the servo solid? Mine wasn't, and that's why my pedal box used to move!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #126 on: July 04, 2014, 01:43:06 pm »
Sorry Andy just spotted your comment, well the battery tray itself is a little rusty and lets droplets of water through. So i'd take a stab in the dark at the fact its structural integrity is lower than it should be. Its probably a contributing factor tbh. Its got to last till action so fingers crossed it doesnt completely go !

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #127 on: July 04, 2014, 08:57:12 pm »
This is the start of a fairly heft update,

Did loads of little bits like putting a bigger washer bottle pump in as the mk1 golf one wasnt cutting the mustard.  Then had a trip to the Polo Show which I might add really surprised me, had a right laugh!

Jordons abused daily

Max's bike carb'd g40

It was so hot, paddling pool was needed

700 miles in a weekend which wasnt too bad! Got plenty of raggage.

Anyways needed some more feeds for the oil so I got another brass vdo tpiece, was a right farce fitting the sender in here

Nearly completed my collection now

then a school boy mod for the lads, chrome bonnet struts!

Got loads of bits waiting to be done, need to make a few bits so will be an update tomorrow if some parts get delivered.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:03:11 pm by Etches »

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #128 on: July 05, 2014, 08:54:49 pm »
Bigger update on hold as parts havnt arrived!

Managed a little bit today, sorted the boot which will get sound deadened and then carpet over at some point.

Needs another touch up coat but doesnt look half bad, got a bit of overspray but that can get sorted.

Got some powder coated wiper arms which really make a difference

Just waiting on parts now before fuelled and bugjam!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2014, 09:18:16 pm »
Does Max live in Sheffield and work on the Wicker? If so if its on bike carbs thats why it sounded so loud when I saw him pull out of his work the other week. I rode past him today whilst he was stood getting something out of the boot if its the same car.

You are making some real progress on this now Tom.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2014, 09:41:18 pm »
He does Sam! That will have been him lol, it does sound really really nice actually. This is his bay

Cheers mate, trying to keep up the progress really.

Boot now looking well tidy

Door off

Transferring central locking motor and gubbins to new doors

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2014, 11:37:40 pm »
Door number 1 took an age, first time messing around with locks etc and I unhooked the inner handle to lock by accident. managed to sort it all out and chuck the door and a new wing mirror on. Door number two time came...

This is supposed to be a new door lol, ground it all back, made a repair patch as this is where the inner swing handle is mount. Welded it and sprayed it up. Everything back together including new winder motor and another wing mirror plus the central locking stuff.

Both doors are now on this is the pass side, which is much less rusty just needs a minor fuss

Managed a quick oil and filter swap before packing up, oil came out pretty mucky after 4.5k miles so I'm glad I changed it all.

Boot all packed for fuelled society this weekend!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2014, 01:37:06 pm »
New goodies arrived

New to old comparison

Finally after 2 years fitting my radiator brace bar , comparison between the old/new

All together

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #133 on: August 09, 2014, 10:10:36 am »
Minor update, been busy heading up to shows. First Bugjam....

Cheers to Liam Holloway for those pics!

G40 Rally through the peakdistrict too Tatton Park

Cheers for those James!

Tatton - bonnet lifters have broke already :(

Came home with something I didnt expect. (cheers Pete :) )

Ported polished, jabbsport bigger exhaust valves (BVH) which will be getting sorted by RES with the new guides and stems.

Went to clive at Autotronix to get my bigger injectors cleaned and tested

20 quid for power runs and its only just outside dinnington M1 Jnc 31!

Sorting some bits out for action(from ppp), hopefully in time though!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #134 on: August 23, 2014, 08:12:16 pm »
Been busying around on this before action.

Stuck bonrath poly top mounts on the rear.

Throttle body off

Injectors changed

Had a aquamist kit a while, just been collecting new bits including a .3 nozzle, new lines and I've got a filter and right angle on the way. Picked up some devils own meth too which was on offer. Just need to make a bracked for the tank and find a home for the pump and should be good.

Got a new ecu with 1.5 bar map sensor in on the way aswell as a PPP chip to match.