Author Topic: Trouble removing bottom pulley!  (Read 2803 times)

Offline 10pin

• Members
Trouble removing bottom pulley!
« on: May 06, 2011, 11:05:48 pm »
yo im swaping my standard V belt pulleys over too toothed ones and im having trouble removing the bottom pulley

ive removed the 4 allen bolts and got the pulley free there just isnt enough room to take it off between the engine and the side of the car
i can see there are two options either take the nut off the bottom cam pulley which i dont really want to do or jackup or move the engine over

did any one else come up against this

cheers for any advice

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
Re: Trouble removing bottom pulley!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 11:08:59 pm »
You need to drop the engine down on one side to gain extra space. Just support the engine from below with a jack and drop it off the engine mount.

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 12:08:45 pm »
Yeah, I've had this before. Don't undo the centre nut - it doesn't hold the pulley on. It's just stuck, keep at it with penatrating oil and big tools and it will come off. Also Robin is right - you can't get it out normaly without lowering the engine on it's mount - or soemtime even taking off the bracket that bolts to the chassey leg that is in the way.

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 07:04:00 pm »
Try using freeze spray, spray it between the pulleys. I used a screwdriver to lever it apart and tapped the pulley on opposing sides (eg 3 o'clock, 9o'clock positions) with a mallet, it begins to come off after a few taps. I jacked my engine up on the pulley side. Watch the throttle cable though, I snapped mine.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_274625_langId_-1_categoryId_165594

Offline 10pin

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 10:35:59 pm »
thanks for the replys guys i got it out in the end by jacking up the engine removing the rubber engine mount and lowering it back down a bit akward but ive got it done now

cheers!