Author Topic: Rebuild time approaches!  (Read 3889 times)

Offline ModeC

• Members
Rebuild time approaches!
« on: May 11, 2011, 03:41:54 pm »
Afternoon all, I have been off the scene for a few years but I used to reside in the Pitstop forums before they closed their doors. I was AllG'edup if there is anybody left from then.

My G40 has been off the road for 2-3 years, with occasional outtings. I got it back on the road about 5 months ago, just needed a fresh battery and MOT! However an oilseal somewhere has gone, took it to work a 15 mile trip and by the time I got there all the oil was gone! (I only found out because i smelt burning off the hot bits!) Oil all over the back and drivers side. Really lucky i suppose as it appears no major damage was done. Finger of blame is pointed at the crank seal currently (the opinion of the RAC driver) but I reckon the charger is gonna have to come off, so it seems an ideal time for a rebuild. So my question, at last, is who are THE rebuilders of choice these days? I do not have the time, inclination, tools or skill required to do it myself, but would like the best possiable job done. Any input appreciated!

Tom

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
Re: Rebuild time approaches!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 04:08:18 pm »
hi,

yes I remember you from the PSD forum days, loads of people still on here who were on there.

for rebuilds these days I'd send a PM to PeteG40 firstly.  If he has time (he is rather busy these days to be fair) he'll do it for a reasonable charge.  Otherwise Jabbasport are still going and still do them.

Offline ModeC

• Members
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 10:34:05 pm »
Oh ok will drop Peteg40 a line. Funny I had forgotten about Jabba, they certainly have been around long enough!

Anybody got any experience of G-werks?

I guess it is all apples and pears.

cheers for the advice

Tom

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 12:36:08 pm »
G werks dont do G40 anymore, i asked them last year so got mine ported at jabba and rebuilt it back up myslef,

Jabba were very helpful

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »
I know G-werks' work is of a very high standard; it might be worth giving them a ring to check.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 02:01:02 pm »
don't they subcontract g-lader rebuilds to jabbasport anyway? or am I imagining things....

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 02:39:46 pm »
hayesey - nah - they do their own

xrich - they do rebuilds but dont think they wont just port for you - jabba will.

modeC - i do rebuild kits and am happy to help rebuild it.

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 03:41:12 pm »
Oh, he must not like me at G werks then :( lol ?

This is the email i got from G werks 11/11/2010

Hi Richard,

Unfortunately we dont service G40 superchargers only G60.
So on this occasion i cant help you we can supply parts for the car if you need any performance upgrades as we are direct with all the main brands.

Sorry i cant help hopefully speak again
Charlie

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 09:34:18 pm »
weird - they used to all the time!  i've been in a few g-werks ones!

http://www.g-werks.com/services/chargerservicing/

infact it says they do on their website!

when the email says 'parts' i asked a few years ago and they wont supply service parts for chargers...

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 11:42:15 pm »
lol yeah i saw that on the website, worth asking them if its closer to home then

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 09:18:31 am »
I spoke to darren about a week before i sent mine to pete and he said they can do it. That was 3-4 weeks ago.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 09:31:04 am »
weird - they used to all the time!  i've been in a few g-werks ones!

http://www.g-werks.com/services/chargerservicing/

infact it says they do on their website!

when the email says 'parts' i asked a few years ago and they wont supply service parts for chargers...

Sounds more like he is trying to flog him a suspension kit.

Offline ModeC

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 10:21:06 pm »
Lol well I will put G-werks down as a maybe!

Garage took the charger off today and they blame it for the oil loss. I am struggling to see how. Anybody ever heard of an oil leak this serious which does not end up going through the engine? I have heard of plenty of seals going but mine I would say has not burnt any oil! Either that or i need to look in the rear view more often  :D

They say that there is a fair bit of oil in the boost pipes, however I suspect that they are confusing the normal "mist" which should be present. I wanna take a look, but cant till monday. Shes standard so the boost return is still present.

I am going to start a new thread in the "engines section" so this tread does not get too off topic!

Cheers for your inputs!