Author Topic: 1985 Rallye Yellow Coupe S G40  (Read 28218 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: 1985 Rallye Yellow Coupe S G40
« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2012, 10:06:18 pm »
After getting the peril back onto some wheels and refitting the rear shocks so I could roll the peril around I decided to whip off the head after 6 months off the road ( broke something whilst in front of an s3 at silly speeds )

Holy moly!

Slammed rear as there's no springs fitted at the moment, still have to repair the thread on my hnr kit before I can put them back on.

Plan now is to whip the engine out
Split the box
Paint new block ( that's sitting in the boot ) and gearbox black
Fit new oil pump, water pump and toothed pulley to new block
Paint rear water pump
Replace the helix organically lined clutch with a 4 paddle helix I've got
Clean engine bay
Unwrap engine loom and extend some wires so they are a lot cleaner in the bay
Cut out additional sections of the front panel and cross member for better airflow
Mount aquamist kit

Ideally I'd like to give the bay a lick of paint, I'll see if we've got a compressor by then.

Body wise I need to

Strip out all seats and rear carpet
Remove the fibreglass repair on the battery tray we did 2 or 3 years ago and weld up
Redo the welding on the lower rear sill that was patched for the first mot it had in my ownership
Drop the tank, strip back the paint and rust from under the rear floor and axle mounts and check the state of the filler neck panels, repair if ness
Replace breather hose for something rubber with a grommet through the body panel
Zinc etch prime, paint and underseal the floor and all other welded areas
Fit my powder coated gt rear axle, new fuel tank, new in tank lift pump.
Reunderseal front and rear inner arches
Refit lower sill trims
Clean up spots of rust on front panel and edges of wings
Fit new inner door membranes

Only bits I need to buy is a bit of paint and a wideband lambda

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #46 on: April 15, 2012, 02:14:23 am »
Yay for the weekend so more could commence.

Friday saw the interior coming out so I can inspect the floor, remove all the sound deadening and check for rust

Battery tray fibreglass removed exposing a standard rusty polo behaviour

Saturday saw the car stuck up on axle stands, wings, sill trims and arch trims and bumper removed

Handbrake cables, rear axle, rear axle mounts, fuel tank and rear half of exhaust removed

Crispy drivers side rear lower arch

Breather hole in the inner arch

Inside of filler flap

Tomorrow I'll start stripping back all the underseal on the rear floor and cut out all the bad metal.

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2012, 05:26:28 pm »
Attacked some underseal on monday

yesterday's endeavours on both front inner wings

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2012, 04:14:59 pm »
painted it up with epoxy mastic last night after cleaning up the last few bits

quite impressed with the paint, even if i am an absolute spacker. used two measuring spoons, so i didnt mix the two paints, and ended up mixing the spoons!

what a spoon!

tonight i will be cutting more out of my battery tray, yesterday removed a load of the wax and loose bits of metal to find out the extent of the rot.

decided I'm going to paint the front panel too as some bits are annoying me on it now and i need to make some additional holes for airflow.

might drop the engine tonight if i can be bothered!

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2012, 05:52:31 pm »
Nice work Saf.
I'm tempted to remove the front wings on mine so I can do the same. Which epoxy mastic did you use and how did you apply it? Spoon?!! ;D

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #50 on: April 24, 2012, 02:19:59 pm »
used epoxy mastic 121 mate and painted on with a brush. you can see brush marks after the first coat, 2nd coat when still tacky soaks in and loses the brush marks and it dries into one massive super coat. its nigh on impossible to chip and will be hard to sand back but thats a good thing!

started stripping down the battery tray to ascertain the extent of the rot so i can start making repair panels, and decided to do the front panel as well at its always had bits of surface rust that have annoyed me and i need to make some more IC airflow

spoons ftl haha i need some proper measuring equipment and i think were gonna get a compressor on a vat free day at machinemart so we can start spraying stuff!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2012, 12:54:59 am »
anyway been a while since I've done anything on the mk2 and i had some paint mixed up from doing the golf, so i got the drivers arch painted up.

and then i got carried away, buzzing after adams toothied g40 buzz into life it made me miss the ol' girl! so i'm on a big push on this at the minute. so inevitably it hard to start at the rotten rear axle mount

stripped off most of the underseal away from the arch and with a varying assortment of wire brushes.

cut away a section of the outer sill that was rotten - the lower part, and then the higher section, in order to allow for better access for a repair.

i need to get something like a dremel to cut some of the rotten metal out from the inner arch, and cut out the rusty breather pipe which I'm going to replace with some flexi pipe and grommet.

any suggestions on a dremely type tool. are they useless for cutting steel in awkward places or would i better off with an air powered jobbie?

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #52 on: July 04, 2012, 08:32:32 am »
It depends how much cutting you have to do Saf, I wouldn't want to use a Dremel for more than about 10cm of 1-1.5mm steel - you'd be forever changing the little discs with their infuriatingly small securing screw. Nightmare.
Is there anything that's like a very small angle grinder, that isn't a Dremel?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #53 on: July 04, 2012, 09:29:27 am »
dremel with a carbide burr can remove metal fast-ish

Offline G40 AD

• Members
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2012, 01:05:23 am »
Doing it with dremmys is a pain in the arse lad for the very reasons you mentioned. And with old rusty cars being my staple diet I'm gonna have my fair share of bits to cut out in awkward places!

I thought of a burr thing but I want all the cuts to be neat and straightish, makes the repair panels easier to make and the bits cut out make great templates for repair pieces

I got an air nibbler and air cut off saw ( 3 inch angle grinders ) read on to see the results :)

You would not believe how many wire stands I pulled out my hair last night. The worst was one that was embedded in my wrist! Caned pulling that one out!

Armed with some new tools I set about cutting out the rot on the inner panel

And removed the breather pipe, the mess next to it was the mess that came out the middle of it! I need to cut open my fuel filter to see what was picked up in there!

Wasn't overly impressed with the grinder cut off tool thing, took ages literally ages to cut a few small sections, the compressor needs to fill after using it for a minute at most think lack of ptfe tape on the joins didn't help, must remember to pick some up tomorrow. First time I've used the comp we got anyway. Need to find a gigtasaurus tank!

Going to have a go at spraying the epoxy mastic on this arch, while the panels are cut open I can give all the cavitys a good dousing!