Author Topic: 1.5bar MAP sensor  (Read 15947 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Re: 1.5bar MAP sensor
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2010, 06:09:59 pm »
yeah thats the standard 200kPa map sensor. It's maxed out at 1 bar boost.

ill get a map sensor ordered then..... its getting a custom map done by jabba anyway but with the cam, smaller pulley and 4 branch i had to make sure the map sensor is up the the job..

im just on the mini forum trying to find out that boost the eaton will run with a 17% smaller pulley so i no what map sensor to get
boost will be different on e G40 engine compared to a mini, G40 is smaller so there is less space for the air to fill = higher boost than a regular engine, same amount of air its just squeezed into a smaller space if you get me?

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 06:14:04 pm »
yeah thats the standard 200kPa map sensor. It's maxed out at 1 bar boost.

ill get a map sensor ordered then..... its getting a custom map done by jabba anyway but with the cam, smaller pulley and 4 branch i had to make sure the map sensor is up the the job..

im just on the mini forum trying to find out that boost the eaton will run with a 17% smaller pulley so i no what map sensor to get
boost will be different on e G40 engine compared to a mini, G40 is smaller so there is less space for the air to fill = higher boost than a regular engine, same amount of air its just squeezed into a smaller space if you get me?

ohh oki mate thanks

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 09:35:17 pm »
Yep, no need to change the map sensor unless as already mentioned you are producing more than 1 bar (14.5 psi) of boost. The G60 stock map sensor is the same 200kpa version as the G40 one

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3714216-MAP-Sensor-upgrade-both-on-VW-CORRADO-G60-250Kpa-VW-T4-115Kpa

Even with a 58mm pulley, mine would only boost to 11 psi.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 10:35:06 pm »
your making assumptions here mate - there is no point looking on a mini forum to see what boost they make with a 17% smaller pulley as they might be using a different sized crank pulley! - which would mean their boost value would be completely different to your own. as well as the cylinder capacity making a difference. i know my car produces more boost then giorgio's as his engine has a big valve head - lots of things to take into account

my old rallye had an uprated map sensor standard (earlier 1h engine) and had a 250kPa sensor. i have bought an uprated one from andy on here for my custom map - not the same sender but one which does the same job.

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2010, 01:25:59 am »
your making assumptions here mate - there is no point looking on a mini forum to see what boost they make with a 17% smaller pulley as they might be using a different sized crank pulley! - which would mean their boost value would be completely different to your own. as well as the cylinder capacity making a difference. i know my car produces more boost then giorgio's as his engine has a big valve head - lots of things to take into account

my old rallye had an uprated map sensor standard (earlier 1h engine) and had a 250kPa sensor. i have bought an uprated one from andy on here for my custom map - not the same sender but one which does the same job.

Yer I no now mate thanks... Im waiting until iv fitted the pulley before I order a 1.5bar map sensor but I'm assuming I'll defo need one as I'm runni g 11pis withe th standard pulley

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2010, 08:34:53 am »
The G60 on the Corrado stills boosts the same as a g40, since the cylinder capacity is larger which compensates for it, therefore fitting a 68mm pulley will still pull 1bar boost on the G60 engine.

RichieK used to pull 1.5/1.6bar on his G40-G60 Conversion.

On the Eaton, iirc ChrisG40 was pulling 18psi on his AWT eaton conversion, could have been 22psi, can't remember.  It didn't hit max boost straight away, like the G60 conversion does, the eaton will build the boost so max rpm would find you max boost.

Either way, you'll need a larger map sensor period.

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 08:45:00 am »
There is no problem running 1,15-1,2 bar boost on the stock sensor. If it is mapped properly.

I've mapped a 16vT running 1,4 bar on the standard 200 kpa sensor. It works fine.

Offline GR40

• Members
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2010, 09:14:17 am »
I am using an eaton with my g40 and a standard engine! It produces 1,2 to 1,3bars depending on the weather and it works fine with standard sensor and ecu! I am pushing 143hp at the crank! I can only roughly calculate that with a 17% smaller pulley you will be producing around 1,4 to 1,5bar! Hope this helps!

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2010, 09:45:30 am »
There is no problem running 1,15-1,2 bar boost on the stock sensor. If it is mapped properly.

I've mapped a 16vT running 1,4 bar on the standard 200 kpa sensor. It works fine.

There's all the problem- most pressure transducers have double their capacity as a brief 'overload' so diaphrams don't strech/break if they're exposed to a higher pressure than desired. Their accuracy above this limit is questionable to say the least.

We have problems at work with Druck transducers costing circa £1k each once they've been overpressured.

For the sake of a £40 sensor, and the cost of fitting, it's a much better and safer option. In my opinion it's not mapped properly if you've clipped the limit of the sensor.

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2010, 10:33:28 am »
my eaton with a 19% smaller pully ran 19psi on full boost

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2010, 03:02:32 pm »
my eaton with a 19% smaller pully ran 19psi on full boost

thats what i like to hear :)... was it all mid range power ?? iv been told the 17% is the best compromise for mid and high, not sure if thats correct

Offline polo classic

• Members
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2010, 03:58:10 pm »
There's all the problem- most pressure transducers have double their capacity as a brief 'overload' so diaphrams don't strech/break if they're exposed to a higher pressure than desired. Their accuracy above this limit is questionable to say the least.
We have problems at work with Druck transducers costing circa £1k each once they've been overpressured.

For the sake of a £40 sensor, and the cost of fitting, it's a much better and safer option. In my opinion it's not mapped properly if you've clipped the limit of the sensor.
I know, I've told him not to go over 1,1 ;)

It has been working for 1,5 years now

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2010, 06:27:36 pm »
Yet James' T25 turbo killed a MAP sensor running 1.2-1.4 bar very quickly. It's going to be luck of the draw, as Yoof said - they're designed to withstand transient spikes, but only for a brief period. At best you'll stretch the diaphragm with time and throw the map out.

Even if you don't damage the MAP sensor quickly, you run out of resolution on the map - so there's no way the microprocessor knows whether you're at 1 bar or 1.4 bar. So yes, you can still map the car, but it's always going to be compromised - much like if you're make peak power much above 6500rpm, you run out of map resolution.

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2010, 09:46:59 pm »
with the 19 percent pullymy car pulls like a train and quite frankly scares the crap out of me lol i love it

Offline dani1326

• Members
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2010, 11:27:53 pm »
with the 19 percent pullymy car pulls like a train and quite frankly scares the crap out of me lol i love it

Hmmm might have to look Into getting a 19% on my spair changer :)