Author Topic: The Dirrtbox  (Read 20377 times)

Offline Dirrt

• Members
  • #actlikealadythinklikeadirrt
The Dirrtbox
« on: September 04, 2008, 01:37:04 pm »
I have tried to keep this as short and as sweet as possible, sorry for the long essay in advance

Meet The Dirrtbox
I didn't know what picture to use heehee  LOL

I’ve now owned her about 8 weeks and I love her to bits, she puts the biggest smile on my face  :wub: Always wanted to own a G40 and now I do, yay!

Anyhoo, this makes me a G40 virgin – I’m not a complete dumb broad when it comes to cars but I know I don’t know shit compared to most and what I’m gonna know and I’m all for learning.  I will say when I don’t know something and won’t be scared of going eh? Can I have that it non dub man geek language please haha!

History
Engine rebuild at 113K, currently on 140K
65mm pulley and chip
I have another Jabba receipt for £1300 which included head work
Suppose to be 150 break [I know she’s not]

A previous owner 2002-2003 [who I need to speak too - forking legend] spent thousands on her and looked after her really well. She has since been neglected and I intend to get her back to her old self again and then some.  The charger hasn’t been serviced yet as I can’t find a stamp. I have spoken to Jabba and they cannot locate any history due to the years back the work was done and change in records, system or something – tad frustrating.

Things I do know [Thanks for comments and help from dudes and dudettes on Club Polo, prior to ban]
Always let her warm up [goes without saying really]
Never hit the rev limiter
Weakest point and most likely failure is the oil seals inside the charger
Anything else?

Plans, Comments and Advice
- Fuel leak fixed, brakes need replacing and clutch looking at
I have a hell of a clutch, you should see my leg muscle bwhaha
- Alarm [the pikeys are getting more desperate for nappies and stella] electric windows and central locking
- Back seats have deffo gotta go!
- I want a phat roll cage as I love the look but after talking to the older and the wiser [haha, sorry duckie bois] last night it’s probably not the best idea as it would be adding the weight and I want as much break as I can get, to a sensible extent that it can still be a road car
- I’m a sucker for music and it has to be loud so that is 100% on my list and going in the G
- Which also brings me to ask advice on brakes, exhaust, coilovers and tyres [I want them wide as fook] I am completely clueless when going complex in this area
- I have got my eye on the BBS RMs, always loved them they sexy as! But I know when I have the cash to buy them I’ll be going for summit less scene, more oldskool, unique and with more girth  :) [size][/size]

- I need to get the charger serviced ASAP , looking October time due to Cashflow :/
I was going to take her to Jabba for an R1 and induction kit but I have since been told Pitstop Developments is where I should be heading [duckie dubloke, I forgot to ask more on this before we left last night gimme details mutha fooka] but someone else has said use Stealth   <_<
It’s hard work being a G40 virgin, I have dubbers telling me all sorts, hence the reason for the same post on multiple forums so I can see all comments and opinions - Your time is mucho appreciated   >_<

- And finally the noise that haunts me and gives me nightmares  :monkey:  :(
I have had a beep/buzz sound happen, first time the hazard flashed at the same time the 2 beeps happened and she died 10 miles later but was fine next day and has been ever since in that aspect.  Then happened again on way to last Edition meet and way back from Manchester last month [I think that's the 3 occassions]
Nothing happens to the car, she keeps whirring away and drives as she was before the noise occurred
Immobiliser?
Oil?
Fuel?
Any ideas?

And last but not least, it would be rude and very unfair off me not introduce you to my daily as she’d feel left out - She’s quiet and shy, just like her mummy  LOL

I feel like I missed summit off that essay  :nerd:

Offline Devious

• Members
Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 02:41:03 pm »
The Red stripe...  :D

nice paint job....

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
Re: Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 05:03:31 pm »
I love the car and i like the fact you wanna look after it but i dont like your plans to heavily modify it.  keep it original if you can bear it they are worth much more in the long run when left as standard as possible.  many have met the same fate as your plans suggest so my advice is keep it the way it was meant to be..some choice mods for suspension sounds good but when you start ripping seats out and installing sounds and roll cages it sort of spirals on from there doesn't it?  your car like but that is my honest view LOL

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 06:18:23 pm »
arent you selling yours dan??/ noone will look after it then!!!

Offline Dirrt

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 11:06:35 pm »
LOL
Meow!

Well at least I got some replies I didn't expect one off here, thanks  :)
Can someone point me in the right direction/score with Pitstop Developments then please - Is Steve still working on G40's?
The mods I am still keen on but they not top on my list, so plans could all change by the time I have cash to move away from focusing on the engine
Time will tell.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 11:10:35 pm »
not sure if Steve is still doing work on g40s these days

Offline Dirrt

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2008, 11:20:11 pm »
This is hard work :scyth:

[quote pid=3861 author=Dirrt date=1220565995]
Can someone point me in the right direction[/quote]
Help?
Recommendations?
Where is the best place for me to go?
Help a G40 virgin out!

Offline Dirrt

• Members
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2008, 11:20:33 pm »
Please.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 08:24:00 am »
G-werks is supposed to be good for charger rebuilds, professional and they port them too. The g60 guys really rate them - however at  140k and with a 65mm pulley, I hope that its had a rebuild before! have you had the charger off and looked at the outlet - you can tell if its ported or not in there.

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 08:29:57 am »
Not realy sure what you're after but I did find 2 questions in your essay:

1, Charger servicing - Steve shut up shop and is really hard to get hold of so go to G-Werks.
2, Funny buzzer noise - Normally oil pressure (due to thin oil or low level) see this thread but could be something else if symptoms don't match.

Offline Alex

• Members
  • Hack
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dirrtbox
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 09:34:54 am »
I'd say a roll cage is more productive weight gain than ICE personally, but it's up to you. If you're after something neat on the ICE front Rockford Fosgate have got some gorgeous slimline sub boxes which don't weigh much and shouldn't take all of your boot space.

Offline ribbit

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 03:06:43 pm »
like i said on polo3 i really like your 'G'

Offline Dirrt

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 12:14:16 pm »
Cheers ribbit ;)

She's having some work done to her at the moment
I'll update the thread with work and pics when done, should be picking her up Saturday if she passes her 2nd MOT :D failed on 13 things
A lot of neglect and bodging has appeared :'( but Dirrt is gonna get her right :)

Offline Dirrt

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2008, 09:52:34 am »
Well I only noticed she was out of MOT a week and half later, oops! I thought it was due in October but there you go! Women for you huh, good job I double checked when I did haha. So off she went to my fellow legend of a Rubbadubz duckie, Edd

She failed on 13 things, fuel tank being the major.  So the work began! 

Exhaust off and out all the way up to the cat

Old tank dropped out and laughed at!!!
The filler neck to tank welds had rusted through.
Fuel leak much?  :-\

Nice shiny new tank in  :)

Aww she looks so poorly and helpless  :'(

So whilst the G was in the air, Edd disassembled the OSR Brake Drum and fitted the new cable, meaning a handbrake actually existed again now (this broke during test heehee) and then re-fitted the exhaust as it wasn’t on properly.  Due to a previous bodge I now the most annoying banging/rattling which can’t be shifted, which is actually really pissing me off as it’s doing it more than ever now, grrr.

Next onto the suspension!
I had noticed a funny squidge/knock sound when going over bumps and stuff coming from the front near side, so off came the front nearside strut. Which became a game for Edd, he ended up having to cut the steering knuckly off and then replace the whole track control arm. A pair of 38” stilsons were used and still couldn’t get the fucking knuckle out the end of the track control arm, so a new track control arm was ordered for her!

Edd also noticed that the bushes on the lower wishbones were past their best, so a pair of lower wishbones were fitted – My rule to Edd see, was anything you see wrong, fix it!

The front shock’s on a polo are ‘cartridge’ based systems, so he took the old one apart or should i say it fell apart and the Dirrtbox had a wee wee on the floor, dirty bitch  :D

My G has already been lowered on some Eibach Springs, 40mm we thinks.  Normally, shocks get replaced per axle, but seeing as I’m changing all the suspension very soon, I didn’t see the point in unwanted parts.  So also did the rear shock, which was much easier, just had to swap the spring onto the new cartridge and put it all back together!!!

Then replaced the front pads as they were well and truly worn and noted the small upgrade of grooved discs. Next task was to bleed the brakes as I had said the pedal wasn’t the best (even though they are notorious for being shit)
Problem: Someone had tried before and rounded some of the nipples off! Most of them were just rusted solid though, so with a bit of love (at this point I think Edd was ready to kick my car haha) off they came and new nips went on, happy days!

Rear cylinder  needed replacing as it was fubared and then could bleed all round, making the pedal nice and hard again  :P

Had to drop the front ARB off whilst doing the wishbones and the one ARB Bush that mounts to the body just fell apart, which is why there was light knocking from the front

Next came the job of sorting the number plate lights out, these went close to MOT and I knew she was gonna fail so didn’t bother with anything tbh. The one side just needed a bulb and the other side was completely shot to pieces, so it was time for Edd to break the paint stuff out.

Aww, she’s getting old and grey  :(

Anyway, new wipers were fitted on the front as I couldn’t see fuck all when it rained haha

All items were completed on the failure sheet and then got the tracking sorted (from the new control arm) and then back in for MOT
Back from the MOT and all passed, with two advisories - Small oil leak from engine and headlight lamp benders

Edd, bless him did what he was suppose to do for me
(Note: Masking tape)

But I arrived and tore them straight off, sorry Eddy heehee  :-X He worked so hard on her, bless him.  This guy is an utter legend, luff you Eddy  :-*

MOT - Fail
Purchased: Petrol, Petrol Tank, Hand Brake Cable, NSF Shock, NSR Shock, Front Pads, Wipers, Exhaust Clamps, Exhaust Rubbers, Rear Number Plate Bulbs, Rear Number Plate Bulb Ass, Gungum, Front Caliper Bolts, NSF Shock Bump Stop/Rubber, Rear Brake Cylinder, Front Control Arms, Track Control Arm and 40 hours labour
MOT Pass FTW

I’m gadging to get her some new shoes, in fact I want some custom made D-Slots, yeah that’s right and no I don’t think that’s too much to ask haha!  But I’m gonna wait till next summer and get saving some more pounds as she looks shexy on her BBS anyway and I picked up another set of 5 yesterday in real good condition with mint tyres (Nice one Jay)

I’ve had so many opinions and recommendations on who to go to regarding the charger and it was doing my head in, so I picked the one closest to me! Seeing as she’s been in with Jabba before I’m taking her back again! I’m waiting on call back from Jabba this morning to get her booked in and I’m fucking excited to say the least heehee

MOTs and Fixings               £888.20
KW V1 Coilovers and Struts [ordered and paid for yesterday]   £710.00
Jabba R1, Induction Kit and Upgrade Brakes       £TBC
Owning a G40... PRICELESS  ;D

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2008, 10:19:47 am »
couple of things you might want to know

1. oem shocks arent cartridge - they are oil ones - so thats probably what you took apart.
2. TCAs (bottom arms, i think you call em wishbones) are g40 specific - so hope you got them not regular ones as they dont last long on a g
3. steering arms are also g40 specific - i think thats what you meant when you said track control arms?? not sure.
4. the fuel tanks rust BAD - i'd suggest painting yours with hammeriate/por15 paint so it doesnt do the same.  Sam on here didn't and went through a tank in a year!!!

hope this makes sense

pete