Author Topic: My G40 Squareback  (Read 10581 times)

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
Re: My G40 Squareback
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 08:08:51 pm »
absolute steal for 450 notes mate, the interior still looks really tidy, interior retrim deffo cost more than the car!

how long did the previous owner have it for? you manage to get much info out of him?

any pics of the golf? hows the resto on that going, g60 conversion is a very nice choice, they go bloody well with the std 8v gti lump!

Offline N17K CP

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 06:22:23 pm »
Yeah, got loads of receipts in a folder, one of which being the receipt for the interior which was about £800 if memory serves me right! The interior has been cleaned now and is in immaculate condition. Not sure how long the previous owner had it for but was a good few years. He loved the car.

The story is like this; the guy bought the car and paid quite a good amount for it back in the day when it was mint and he kept it in really good condition for a long time as he came down my house about 4 years ago asking if I wanted to buy the bbs rm's which were on it at the time as he had bought some smaller bbs wheels (the Mahle bbs wheels)
He used to work in the same place as my dad, but everyone got made redundant about2 years ago and since then the car had been stood on his drive as he couldnt find another job. My dad mentioned he may want to sell it so we gave him a call and the next day went and picked it up.
Basically had to make payments on his house so the car had to go, but by this time was looking in a sorry state.

I got a fair amount of info out of him, but was more interested in paying for it and getting it home before he changed his mind  ;)

I havent got any pics of the golf atm as it is being sold this weekend. I just dont have the funds to do both cars and the mk1 needed a lot of work to finish so have decided to shift it on to get the polo finished.
I finished the engine a while ago and is ready to go into a car now, minus a supercharger.

One day I may buy a car to put the engine in   :D

in the meantime, I am going to get this little gem on the road!

Offline grungeisdead

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 06:42:45 pm »
i was looking at that engine, bare confused thinking it was the polos, but realised it was the G60!

id get the small light shell off edition38, 650 or less and its been all welded up, just needs a couple of bits finishing and some paint! would be a perfect base for a monster! series 1s own all.

cool story, deffo know the feeling of wanting to pay and do one, before they change their mind. glad to see its in good hands tho mate and being restored to its former glory! respect

Offline N17K CP

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 08:13:13 pm »
Thanks mate. So many times I have thought to myself... put the engine in a coupe, but tbh, it has grown on me loads and I am really starting to like the look of it more than the coupe now. Just want to see it as I remembered it years ago, which was a really nice car then!

That mk1 shell would be perfect but this really does need to be finished. Need to sell my polo gti soon too, and buy something more economical due to the mileage I am doing travelling to work every day so thats next on the list!

Pay day is only 2 days away so will get some more bits for it then :)

Offline VAGGAV

• Members
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 11:28:57 pm »
Hi there this is my wifes old squareback.She did get your email but asked me to check it out.Would like to help if i can in anyway.

Offline N17K CP

• Members
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2011, 06:59:54 pm »
Glad you got the email mate. Was hoping you had a build thread or some pictures you could send over?
Just wanted to get as much history for the car as I could, because I was told it was a very nice car when your wife owned it. Shame it was left to go so bad  :(

Thanks for the reply  :)

Offline VAGGAV

• Members
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2011, 07:24:20 pm »
No probs.We will have a look to see what we can do for you.Will get something sorted.