Author Topic: 51mm Throttle Bodies 2 available soon.  (Read 7631 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Re: 51mm Throttle Bodies almost there!
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2011, 10:15:43 pm »
would also be interested in just a 51mm de-wedged butterfly what price would they be? nice work btw!
Sadly its not quite the case of just cutting a 51mm flap and sending out, each is cut to the size that the body is bored to, which is slightly different occasionally (only 1 of 3 broke through the wall)
I did learn today more about PSD's ones. they were a 50.8 measurement (which may be why one of mines walls broke but the 0.1mm on each side wouldn't have made much difference) and steve used to get a 50.8mm disk and fettle them down by hand, or so someone told me he did. Ours are machined so they are more accurate.

The 51mm test driving is going OK so far, it appears the rev's do sometimes stick at 2k rpm and not idle (no hunting or jumping in revs though) - though it seems to only be when the car is between cold and running temp - had this on 1 or 2 other bodies now (one being a de-wedge with rivets the other being a wedged one) so may clean up my ISV and see what difference it makes. Bar this one slight issue its been fantastic.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
Re: 51mm Throttle Bodies 2 available soon.
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 10:15:20 pm »
Hi guys, should have two available soon, I've just gotta road test them both / set them up properly in the next week. (Pics soon)
Have a new way to do the porting on the T - Piece too after the original few. Should all have a sand blasted finish too.

As for the 40% that have broken though that we wanted to sleeve, we decided to see how far we can get one - got to 52.7mm before chickening out. So we should be able to sleeve to a 51mm instead of only a 50mm. Will need some time testing these / getting all the holes in it right. We would heat up the body / cool the sleeve down to make sure it was a very snug fit.

With enough balls we could take one to 53mm and sleeve to a 52mm - worlds first G40 52mm body anyone? haha, not sure if the casting could go that far though, walls break through at 51 so another mm from each side is brutal. Later on ill get the 52.7mm pics up if anyone is interested.

Thanks!

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 03:01:55 pm »
Said 52.7mm:

compared to a standard butterfly:

Said 2 available:

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 04:46:22 pm »
Very nice work Justin, do you wanna have a go at mine yet?
Did you get my last pm?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2011, 06:27:28 pm »
Very nice work Justin, do you wanna have a go at mine yet?
Did you get my last pm?
Got you're PM mate thought I replied? perhaps not.
Will tackel your one as soon as i've sorted out the sleeving and we know we can do it - incase i brake the wall of yours
makes it harder when its not exchange but I want to make sure I can do it incase the wall breaks (40% have so far)

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 01:19:22 pm »
Have u cured the high idling problems yet?
I'm really interested?
just dont fancy giving away my perfectly working tb and £150 for one that's great on boost but bit iffy any other time?

Thanks tez

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 06:48:54 pm »
Have u cured the high idling problems yet?
I'm really interested?
just dont fancy giving away my perfectly working tb and £150 for one that's great on boost but bit iffy any other time?

Thanks tez
Come to the conclusion that its not a body issue - had 3x mine on it, they're all the same - fine when the engine is started, then when its warming up it the revs will stick at 2k and not idle, once warm its fine - but if the temp drops again it does it. think its my ISV - had about 5 bodies on my car now and they have all done it i think - even a standard wedged one. all setup right too. waiting to sort out my ISV but from how its temperature based and happened on bodies that were not my 51's I'm fairly sure its not the bodies.

Offline djtez

• Members
  • aaAAHH CHOOO!
    • its ma bebo site
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 10:34:47 pm »
Ah .. The car has a cam and few other mods runs really lumpy..
Wat kind of turn over time from when a send a throttle to recieving one back?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 11:44:31 pm »
Ah .. The car has a cam and few other mods runs really lumpy..
Wat kind of turn over time from when a send a throttle to recieving one back?
Well its an exchange basis: So when your body comes in I'll send you out a fresh 51mm, a few days really, reasonably quick. Check the traders section / send me a PM for more info about what you get / how it works.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 11:58:03 pm by Justin14100 »

Offline PR23M3K

• Members
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 03:38:17 pm »
Last post was long time ago, but I have some news. I have just received my throttle body and it is done up to 52,61 mm (diameter on the height of the butterfly), on the edges diameter is 53,16 mm.
Below photo

Offline xrrich

• Members
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 05:45:15 pm »
Where abouts are you located? so maybe i could drive to you and swap mine for a bored one there as i cant really afford to have my car off the road.

Many thanks
Rich

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2011, 09:05:21 am »
52.6? Wow, any idea how the machinist achieved this? We have started filling up the area in the throttle sensor box to strengthen the body cause they break through at 51mm quite often which  is more the material being pushed out rather than lack of material.

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 07:49:02 pm »
That pic looks as if the boring is slightly off center.

Could that be how they acheived it.

I maybe talking Poohdoo of course.

Daft question Justin but what make and type of boring bar are you using.

I use indexible Iscar boring bars with almost mirror like finish on alloy.

Fred.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2011, 06:51:22 pm »
We were using a boring bar we got from eBay which was a great finish, but now we are measuring them and offsetting them (as we had a few break through) as well as using chemical metal on the most common wall that breaks through so we don't use the boring bar on the current ones, with the offset I think we could get to 52mm but I think its a big risk with walls that end up being too thin so you could be right on the offset in the photo mate, well done!

yo dawg I heard you like throttle bodies.

Offline PR23M3K

• Members
« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2011, 11:31:41 pm »
I do not know how it was achieved. I have just sent a stock TB and after a few days it was done.
On 2 throttle bodies only 1 is good. On the 2nd one there appeared some holes.

Anyway, one is good and works well.
Below photo of this throttle body. On the left is 48 mm, on the right 52,6 mm.