Author Topic: new Trailers rules being broughtin 4th decemeber  (Read 5074 times)

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
Re: new Trailers rules being broughtin 4th decemeber
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2011, 10:29:58 am »
To be honest Justin i had no choice.

I was shitting it a bit thinking What if the trailer turns over lol.
The Lathe is very top heavy but i did have an hefty ratchet strap over it and a mile or so down the road i
realised it was all fine. The AAV engine did really well to be fair though a little
jerky at times.

I made the Towbar myself for this car as I couldn`t buy one anymore and the deciding factor
that the one i bought for the previously written off polo was shite. The welding was cold lapped
and i didn`t trust it for a heavy load plus in the rear end shunt it broke underneath on a major weld.

Scotsjohn.

The Lathe came from a school in Liverpool that was being demolished and the only remaining classroom
left when we got there. They pulled it down just as we got it clear.
It was a mates dad who`s mate was doing the demolision and so it cost me £600
It a Harrison T300 Gap bed & thankfully came with a screw cutting gearbox as so many didn`t.
It`s a Teaching version of the very popular M300 and so doesn`t have the same spindle speeds.
Unfortunatly! All the extra bits wer pillaged like revearse jaws and all the bits standard to the Lathe.
I`ve used it for a few things so far and screw cutting works well, however! The jaws are worn to the point
of not holding work central but i`ve just had them de-hardend so i can bore them true assuming the scroll is ok.
Shame i couldn`t afford the Tom Senior Milling machine that was also there but both was £1500 so getting the
Lathe for £600 was a bonus. The miller sold for well over 1k on ebay.

I hope nobody minds this post here but it seemed appropriate being bout trailers.

Fred.

Offline poloandyb

• Members
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2011, 03:52:53 pm »
when did you pass you test fred im only asking because i past mine in 93 and iv got a c+e on my licence automaticaly,i know that just after they changed it and you had to take a seperate test  >:(

as for vosa they realy are a joke,im a coach driver so have quite alot to do wi vosa rules,i once asked two seperate vosa blokes the same question  and got to different answers.if vosa dont know the correct rules what chance are we ever going to have!!!!!!!!!you can get all the information from any vosa office but you might aswel read it turned upside down lol.and as for eu rules i wount say what they can do with them!!!!!! at the minute my companys having meeting after meeting about passengers wearing seatbelts,the eu are trying to make it so if you are pulled over by vosa or police,as a driver you will get fined for every passenger aint wearing a seatbelt thats all well and good but i could have 65 passengers on and its a 50 ft coach.
no mater how many times you tell someone to put a seat belt on if they want to they can just take it off down the road!!!!!

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2011, 04:24:24 pm »
Im totally jealous of those who passed their test before the cut off. But it also annoys me that the just because you passed your test before a certain date that you can tow a trailer or drive a 7.5t vehicle. I needed to get my dad to take the van and trailer down to my mates and he didnt have a clue where to start, how to ensure the trailer was hitched correctly, that it was safe, do a lights check, ANYTHING bascially. Now thats not his fault, hes never needed to or has towed a trailer but hes legally allowed to?! Really?

Offline poloandyb

• Members
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2011, 05:24:55 pm »
yeah your right it's totaly wrong they seem to change things just for sake of changing it.i was talking to a mate the other day that works in a agency and now they're starting to struggle getting 7.5 tonne drivers due to most people these days not having the licence for it

Offline Fred

• Members
  • Fred
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 08:13:19 pm »
Poloandyb. 27 Years ago mate. I`m 47 ;)

Fred.