Author Topic: New daily driver (pipe & slippers mobile)  (Read 10100 times)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
New daily driver (pipe & slippers mobile)
« on: October 06, 2010, 09:49:55 am »
Been after something to replace my 1998 Passat TDI with for a while now, was looking at Bora TDIs and Audi A4 TDIs mainly but then came across this and decided to make a bit of a change. 

Only picked it up last night so have only driven it about 40 miles so far but pretty happy with it, it's bloody comfy and the engine sounds surprisingly nice for a diesel. 

It's a Volvo S60 D5.  5-pot diesel with 163bhp.  I plan on getting it remapped as they go to between 190-210bhp depending how far you want to push it, however I've read that you are pretty much guaranteed to pop the intercooler due to the increased boost pressure so I want to find a suitable replacement IC first and fit that.

It has a tow bar fitted which is good as once I've sold the passat I plan to use the money to buy a trailer so I can start trailering my polo to track days instead of driving it to them and back (which is a pain in the arse).

Offline giorgio

• Members
Re: New daily driver (pipe & slippers mobile)
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 10:01:25 am »
Black car with cream leathers. Welcome to the club, you are entitled to 15% off on the new range of slipper/robe combinations at M&S. They are ideal for the winter months.

G40s are nice but not as nice as heated leathers ;D

I even care about mpg these days - you into the 60s?

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 10:04:16 am »
Looks nice! What sort of mpg do they do?

Just got the Saab back on the road with a rebuilt 'box - going back to a comfy Swedish barge after driving the Polo as a daily for a month is awesome!

What happens to the intercooler? Blow the end tanks off? If so, you could always strap the i/c together rather than having to fanny around fitting something different. If it's owt like the Saab the cooling pack's a tightly packaged affair - with a/c radiator, coolant radiator, intercooler and oil cooler to all fit in.

Fit a couple of dummy mini antennas to it, and take to wearing a fluorescent jacket when driving and see what chaos it causes.

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 10:08:45 am »
bling bling. they chrome rims?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 10:23:47 am »
MPG wise it'll do about 50mpg during a normal motorway drive at 70-80mph which is about the same as my passat.  I could get 60mpg+ from my passat if I drove it at 65-70mph on the motorway.

Andy, the IC tends to burst the actual tubes in the core.  Can even happen on standard unmapped D5s.  The good news is that there does seem to be a reasonable amount of room at the front even with air con & coolant rads (dont think there is a water-to-air oil cooler).  Lots of people on volvo forums (yes I've been going on volvo forums :) ) have put aftermarket ICs on, some stupidly expensive off the shelf kits and others just by buying generic ebay ICs and making them fit (which is my preferred option!).

They aren't chrome wheels, I think it's just the odd colouring in those photos that makes them look like that.  They are just the sale photos of it (anyone who knows where I live will know it's no where near as nice as the place in those photos which is near Knutsford where I bought it from).

Offline cheys03

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:40:36 am »
That looks very nice indeed - always have a soft spot for Volvos though.
Lovely combination with the interior and wheels. Spot on!

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »
Nice, bit of a step up from the Passat. Are you going to actually clean this one?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 12:59:42 pm »
pipe down you!

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 02:26:52 pm »
looks very nice, as you get older a bit of comfort is nice.

how baout posting pictures of the passat then ?  ;D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 02:32:26 pm »
This is my passat about a year/18 months ago.  It doesn't have the alloys on it anymore though, back on steels:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=117580&id=522466448&l=82e26618bb

Had the passat about 3.5 years, has been a great car but it was time for a change.

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 02:33:50 pm »
i meant now in its dirty condition ha ha

but cheers anyway

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 02:35:11 pm »
oh right, dont have any pics of it right now.  basically the same as that but with standard passat 15" steels and some dirt.

Offline Gaz

• Members
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 02:38:01 pm »
Swish!  8)

Offline DMWG40

• Members
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 03:04:06 pm »
i always liked the T5 and D5 Volvo's

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 03:51:57 pm »
alot better than my winter bus! i now run a dog shit 206 diesel.....................NON TURBO!

love 65-70 mpg though! dont love that they couldnt even be arsed to change the wipers over from lhd models to rhd!

did you pass before 97 mate? or you gonna do a trailer licence/ have one already?