Author Topic: New daily driver (pipe & slippers mobile)  (Read 10051 times)

Offline demolover

• Members
Re: New daily driver (pipe & slippers mobile)
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 03:54:50 pm »
Pimp in slippers mobile  :)

I like it.  Wish i had somewhere to store the G40 whilst driving a nice comfy Diesel around.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 04:01:10 pm »
no was only just 17 in 1997 so didnt pass in time.  You can drive up to 3.5 tonnes combined total weight of car & whatever is being towed anyway.  Kerb weight of the volvo is 1427kgs, weight of polo is about 750kgs so I can't see any need to do an expensive trailer test.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2010, 04:23:04 pm »
trailer cant be over 750kgs and has to be single axel and un braked. i only know cos i looked into it as its what i was gonna do.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2010, 04:45:26 pm »
750kgs for an unbraked trailer but I've not seen anywhere that says you arent allowed to tow a braked trailer without doing a test, where did you read that?  The guidelines on direct.gov.uk are very muddy to say the least, it doesn't even seem like police know what the rules are, seems a total grey area that will vary on the mood of a copper who might pull you over.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2010, 04:59:47 pm »
actually having said that, it is the max authorised weights of both car & trailer so need to figure those out.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2010, 05:05:06 pm »
yea its the max weight of both vehicles but the trailer including whats on it has to be less than 750kgs, i was gutted when i found it out too, just another way to get money out of people. i asked on that police forum website after looking on direct.gov and it not really telling you the full crack.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2010, 05:09:57 pm »
but where did you hear that as it doesn't seem to agree with direct.gov.uk or the dvla who both say:

Motor vehicles with a MAM not exceeding 3500kg having not more than eight passenger seats with a trailer up to 750kg. Combinations of towing vehicles in category B and a trailer, where the MAM of the combination does not exceed 3500kg and the MAM of the trailer does not exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2010, 05:18:06 pm »
I believe the max trailer weight of 750kgs only applies when the total weight of car + trailer is more than 3500kgs.  The trailer can be any weight as long as the total is not more than 3500kgs and the car is type approved for the weight of the trailer.

As I say, I have heard stories of obvious cases where the rules have gone against people as they are too open to interpretation so it wouldn't surprise me to hear police saying different things (they are only human after all).

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2010, 05:19:21 pm »
also found this:

http://www.stevedavisadi.co.uk/DO%20I%20NEED%20A%20B+E.pdf

obviously it's not an official DVLA/government doc but it confirms the rules as I understand them (I think!!?)

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2010, 05:20:25 pm »
just going of what i was told on the police forum, uk police online i think as i was unsure i thought id ask on there as a few people had told me different things, reading on http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/WhatCanYouDriveAndYourObligations/DG_4022547

i can see where you are coming from so maybe i was told the wrong thing, i just didnt wanna risk anything after being told so many different things from different people!

Example of category B with a trailer weighing over 750 kg: Motor vehicle with an unladen weight of 1,500 kg and a maximum weight of 2,000 kg towing a fully loaded trailer with a weight of 1,500 kg – total weight 3500.

that makes me belive you can tow but im still unsure as a few police said different!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2010, 05:21:05 pm »
I guess the only way to be 100% safe is to do the trailer test but it's not cheap.

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2010, 05:30:28 pm »
no thats why i didnt do it! its a rip off and a shit test to do too. oer the top on safty, that steve davis page you just found is interesting though id love it if i could tow a trailer!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2010, 05:32:26 pm »
I guess the key is finding a trailer with a MAM of not much more than the weight of my polo.  I wonder what happens with all those pikey trailers made from old caravan chassis which have no data plates on them?!?  Not that I'm considering buying one of them.

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2010, 06:51:08 pm »
How much is the test then? Glad I passed my test in 1996!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2010, 07:16:03 pm »
An intensive course over a few days is anything between 700 to a grand.  Apparently you will need the lessons to pass it, not supposed to be an easy test.