Author Topic: Engine Damage Pics  (Read 18269 times)

Offline SteG40

• Members
Re: Engine Damage Pics
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2009, 09:03:20 pm »
Yeah i cleaned it up abit it looked like the others before. I'll check the injectors but they were cleaned and rebuilt when i had the engine done. Also it happened on the dragstrip so I'm guessing there would be alot of heat in there.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2009, 09:07:49 pm »
 There's quite a lot of pitting that looks quite geometric/angular. I reckon that's secondary and probably a bit of plug or somesuch as suggested. That could be previous damage. The action seems to be at the other side of the head but if that's det. then something must have gone badly wrong very suddenly. Coke problems would show early with rough running long before the big bangsurely?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2009, 09:40:03 pm »
Yeah i cleaned it up abit it looked like the others before

ah right, maybe it's just the fact you've cleaned it and then glare from the camera making it look white. 

Let us know what they say when you get the head looked at.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2009, 10:06:51 pm »
mmmm this is interesting seeing as you cleaned off the crap off the pistons.............

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009, 11:05:28 pm »
steve from pitstop built this up didnt he? have you got a r32? i remember him telling me about one he built.
anyway its hard to tell cos you have cleaned it but if your injectors are ok then it could be due to a loose spark plug. this can cause det and over heating of the cylinder.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 09:20:10 am »
I am still convinced something has gone through your intake system, it won't be det that has caused the damage as the indents have too many sharp edges, is the spark plug tip still on the spark plug?

Also check that your turbo hasn't chewed through anything which has then gone into cylinder one.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 12:13:29 pm »
I've never seen someone melt a piston and damage the head like that - so whatever the cause it's very serious! You'd have definitely heard and noticed detonation if it'd been the cause.

Is the coolant system okay?

What state are the valve guides in?

Offline grayg40

• Members
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 12:45:28 pm »
  i had something simmilar happen to my engine but no marks like that. mine melted No 4 piston, bent no4 exhaust valve, cracked the head across every port and into plug holes, and No3 piston fell to pieces when i took it out.
i would advise taking all pistons out and check them inbetween the top two rings cos a big chunk fell out of mine with no other damage to the piston.
if the engine is nearly std i have a brand new py piston and good SH injectors that i tested at work.
I blame my injectors cos after replacing them never had a problem.
If your pistons are 1341cc you might get a single one from Agra precision engineering in dundee 01382 229333. cost approx £200   

Offline SteG40

• Members
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 01:29:38 pm »
My brother took the head to work today he's a mechanic they thought that something has got in there too, i've checked the plugs and turbo again and everything looks fine so signs of any damage or bits missing.

Coolant systems fine everythings fairly new. Haven't checked the valve guides i'll get the place that's fixing it to check everything.

steve from pitstop built this up didnt he? have you got a r32? i remember him telling me about one he built.
Yep that's the one.

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 01:39:47 pm »
Looking at the pics on a better monitor, the valves look in lots better condition that those from melted piston engines - mine were pitted slightly from the det when I melted one several years ago.

Does look like something's been mashed between the piston and head. Just need to find out what it is...

Offline lance

• Members
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 02:06:04 pm »
your turbo wasnt water cooled was it?

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 04:41:12 pm »
I have seen det marks before but it usually looks like some sort of errosion, your cylinder head looks like someones been at it with a hammer and chisel. Do you know what caused the valve to bend? I would suggest removing your piston and looking very carefully at the rings and lands. Det has a habit of breaking ring lands, but personally I wouldnt assume det from looking at the head. possible FOD or broken ring etc has got in there.

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2009, 04:45:07 pm »
Oh and with the head I would just lightly dress it up and re fit it, as long as there are no protrusions to cause hot spots then there shouldnt be much of a problem.

And study the head gasket for signs of errosion, a good burst of det will attack your head gasket as much as anything else.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 04:47:09 pm by Tommo »

Offline SteG40

• Members
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 12:19:22 am »
Do you know what caused the valve to bend?

Just had a thought I put the bent valve down to my bad launch on the 1/4mile and the revs going way too high but I wonder if something has got inside in the head that's whats actually bent the valve.

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009, 07:58:12 am »
to bend a valve you'll need to do way over 7000rpm to bend a valve!