Author Topic: An odd problem and cant work it out! *update with pics*  (Read 7971 times)

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
An odd problem and cant work it out! *update with pics*
« on: July 15, 2009, 05:38:08 pm »
Ok, well here goes describing this as well as i can!

The car runs well while driving to work and around (laps of town you know how it is lol) but every time I have done a long run in it - lets say 80 miles or more I get a strange problem.

What happens is the car will start to loose power, like a misfire but not juddery (made that word up) and if I slowly put my foot down the power stays the same till I get to full throttle and suddenly there will be the normal amount of power that full throttle gives. This is coupled with a nice dash of black smoke out the exhaust. So surely the fuel is getting there as its that not burning thats giving the black smoke. Air? Well that has to be getting there cause the charger, while putting the foot down the induction noise gets louder yet no acceleration till im flat!

So is it ignition? a dodgy chip? (has a 65mm pulley and jabba chip) and why does it only happen after a long run? Once it did stay there after 120 and I drove it to work the next day!

I am so confused and would be very grateful for any suggestions - sorry if I described it shite but its the best I could do lol!

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 09:25:22 am by Justin14100 »

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
Re: An odd problem and cant work it out!
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 10:23:17 pm »
Don't worry about the shite description, I'll think about it and give you a shite answer lol.

Having thought about it it sounds like some sort of oil buildup in the induction side which takes a bit of time to make itself obvious. Plugs oil up then clear with lots of smoke ? How about a leaking charger seal ? Quick check inside pipework.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009, 11:18:49 pm »
Well I still have the boost return pipe and oil breather on so there will be some oil in the pipes, but there is quite a lot the metal 'o-ring' that sits in the plastic parts of the pipe to stop them from crushing from the jubilee clip where oiled enough to slide out!

I have been delaying the charger service and it was done a while ago.... so the chance is an oil seal is going in it?

Thanks!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 09:23:52 am »
there will always be some oil in there from the breather.  As long as it's not dripping out of the pipes then it's ok.  I doubt a bit of oil in the pipes is anything to do with your problem.  As you've already correctly said, black smoke is burning fuel not oil, oil gives blue smoke out of the exhaust.  Perhaps it's the ignition coil breaking down under load after longer use?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 10:34:14 am »
Well I was wondering about the coil, maybe after that amount of time its getting too hot or something? do they do that?
Needs new plugs, leads ect anyway I think... so if there is enough oil to drip from the pipes its defiantly charger service time?

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:39:57 am »
probably, although it could be coming from the breather.  How many miles ago was the charger last done? and what size pulley is on it?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:51:32 am »
I dont know if it was the last work done on it, but the only info i have was back in '02, got a 65mm pully on it so I presume its been longer than it should have been!

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2009, 11:22:08 am »
yeah I'd say if you are running a 65mm pulley and you don't know how many miles ago it was done but know it's certainly not been done since 2002 then you should definitely get it serviced ASAP, whether you think it's leaking oil or not.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 06:36:31 pm »
Trying to get it booked in this week at jabba atm. need to find some £ lol!

any other ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks!

Offline GTG40

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:37:20 pm »
there is a section in the haynes manuel on how to test your coil with a test meter i'd give that a try. you could also check the gaps on the spark plugs with a feeler guage and give them a clean as they will probably full of black sut.

If its not that could be the hall sensor on the dizzy playing up

Offline DaBigGinger

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 10:20:10 pm »
CO potentiometer? If this is faulty, it will retard the ignition timing causing a bit of a hold back like you describe before springing back into life. The CO pot is the sensor that clips into the boost pipe close to the throttle body.

They're about £45 IIRC.

But yeah, also:

Hall sender
Dizzy

Offline Tommo

• Members
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 04:29:31 pm »
It should still accelerate with the ignition retarded though.

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 05:33:38 pm »
Not a lot though if there's clouds of unburnt fuel/oil coming out of the exhaust. That would call for a major timing change. What could do that then go back to normal?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 07:44:12 pm »

Too much oil?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2009, 01:27:55 pm »

Too much oil?

This is the boost pipe that runs past the washer bottle btw