Author Topic: An odd problem and cant work it out! *update with pics*  (Read 8015 times)

Offline grayg40

• Members
Re: An odd problem and cant work it out! *update with pics*
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2009, 12:45:04 pm »
If you are mechaniclly minded and can get the use of a press and bearing puller you could attempt the service yourself, they arent hard to do and you need loctite and ptfe spray but thats it realy. if the charger shaft seal areas are worn you can get them metal sprayed and re-machined. i did it to mine and they did a great job, cost me about 250 but them it doesnt matter where the seals sit for future service. never had a problem with mine since. 

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 03:59:08 pm »
Ordered a new blue temp sensor today, will see if that helps.
Then new plugs and leads, will test the coil like it says in haynes manual too!

Any other ideas anyone?

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2009, 07:56:37 am »
Id ascertain first what area you need to be looking at before spending loads of money on bits n bobs to test.

*Fuelling
*Ignition
*ECU Sensoring

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2009, 08:51:14 pm »
New theory - I know the G40 has injection mapping but am i right in saying that map only comes in at full throttle?
it fix's itself a max throttle so maybe there is a problem with something not sensing things right not at max throttle.
p.s started the charger work, and some other bits and bobs and there was a puddle of oil in the inlet manifold so was deffo needing a service!

Offline Robin

• Members
  • 194bhp - 1341 Turbo
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2009, 10:07:48 pm »
yes the full throttle switch in the throttle body activates the WOT map in the ecu.

get someone to slowly push down the throttle pedal and you can hear the click in the throttle body when the pedal is at WOT.

Offline JimmyG40

• Members
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2009, 09:27:26 pm »
I've recently bought my first G40 and mine is doing exactly the same thing! im the same, my charger has done probably done about 20k on a 65mm pulley since its last service.

I have the boost return off, but the flying saucer above air box is still attached, with one vacumn coming off it and goin to throttle body and another which has no pipe on it at all, then it has a large pipe on the top.

Mine too also blows out alot of oil out the throttle body, its making a right mes of all pipes and inside of engine bay around the area that it blasts.

I've changed plugs,leads,dizzy cap and rotar arm and it made no difference, it also seems to be an intermittant fault, also when it does do it whilst driving it will not idle smoothly either, kinda rythmic, dropping revs and picking up fast, but not hunting. sometimes it will just conk out all together.

So is it likely to be all the oil in the induction system causing this, as the seals in the charger are on their way out?

Thanks

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2009, 08:10:45 am »
yeah - sounds like yr seals are weeping.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2009, 10:55:18 am »
Just re-built my charger, went well - need to put it in the car and see if it fix's the problem!

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 12:26:10 pm »
Ok, charger re-built. Not fixed the problem.... so much for running the charger in when you have to kick it to full throttle to stop it slowing down and blowing out black smoke! Well pissed!
anyway, giving it a new blue temp sender tomorow, going to try steal a knock sender from another polo (1.3 genesis - is it the same and where it located? thanks!)

Oh, another thing it does is while its doing it if i clutch it and let it idle it revs itself, between 1 and 1.5k rpm for a few seconds - any idea what would cause that? doesnt do it any other time?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 12:28:58 pm by Justin14100 »

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 12:31:06 pm »
hmmm - sound more like a dodgy head gasket/valve stem oil seals/piston rings gone - either that or your timing is miles out.

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 12:32:05 pm »
If you are mechaniclly minded and can get the use of a press and bearing puller you could attempt the service yourself, they arent hard to do and you need loctite and ptfe spray but thats it realy. if the charger shaft seal areas are worn you can get them metal sprayed and re-machined. i did it to mine and they did a great job, cost me about 250 but them it doesnt matter where the seals sit for future service. never had a problem with mine since. 

most charger services dont use a press or puller... it can both damage the casings and not get the beairng in straight.  Heat the casing up and freeze the bearing and the plop in without any pressure.

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 12:37:25 pm »
hmmm - sound more like a dodgy head gasket/valve stem oil seals/piston rings gone - either that or your timing is miles out.

Timing is fine, checked it when put the toothies on!
its not an oil burn, its very odd - and when you engage full throttle it runs perfectly, so now im under the assuption that one of the sensors on the engine is telling the ECU to dump the fuel in, cause im now sure the problem is over fueling!
Ah well, its so hard to get help over the net - if only I could show people what it does! Round town its OK, just motorways its rubbish!

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 12:49:29 pm »
which did you checK the mechanical or ignition timing?

Offline Justin14100

• Traders
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 12:50:32 pm »
which did you checK the mechanical or ignition timing?
mechanical, isnt the ignition set by the dizzy spinning anyway?

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 12:53:29 pm »
yes ignition timing is set by the dizzy, and if way off can cause your car to run like a bag of nails and kick black smoke out!