Author Topic: Is it about to die...?  (Read 10655 times)

Offline g40chris

• Members
Is it about to die...?
« on: June 10, 2009, 11:11:47 pm »
i have had the car back on the road for a week now and its been getting better to drive but that grinding sound is still coming as i put foot on accelerator under boost, there also seems to be a slight rattly noise coming from the charger area at idle.

should i take the charger off and see if the car still makes the sound. if not then its deffo the charger but i will be a bit gutted if its a bearing or scroll buggered as i bought the charger off here with the intentions of using it to run the engine in and doing a service on it when its run in and i know the engine is fine.

it seems to boost ok but the noise is so loud that it vibrates the floor

anybody know if this is a sign of a problem with the charger or if it could be something else

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
Re: Is it about to die...?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 11:24:59 pm »
does it go away without the charger belt on? thats first thing i'd do (to rule out water pump, timing belt marker rubbing on crank pulley etc etc) and then check alternator bearings for play etc.

then it'd point to the charger

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 05:53:05 pm »
thanks

i will be trying it without the belts on later

i have a spare alternator which i can also try to rule out that

and i have a spare g40 charger casing with all the guts taken out so i can use on the car to tension the belts if i need to run the car without the charger for a while

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2009, 09:22:16 pm »
well i have tried the car without the belts on and the sound has gone

so i was about to take the charger off when i decided to take the oil feed pipe off and check there was oil going through it, i had the pipe hanging out on the side of the car with the car running but no oil at all. so i decided to take the tee piece out and run the car with the hole open and oil does come out of the hole but not when the oil feed pipe is on, tee piece is clear, and i have even connected the oil feed pipe straight onto the hole at back of head but still no oil. but if i take the pipe off and blow through it is clear. i have even tried sucking it through just incase there is an air lock but i cant suck a golfball through a hose pipe as this is what it feels like. still no oil

is there anything im doing wrong and im sure this could be the cause of my grindy noises as it will be getting no oil into the charger

Offline PeteG40

• Administrators
  • Housewives heart throb
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 08:15:00 am »
hmm sounds like so - the grindy may be warn bearings and therefore maybe some scroll wall on charger wall action!

oil feeds arent too dear - try replacing that

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 05:53:22 pm »
the oil feed is brand new from vw and i can blow through it but oil wont travel through it

i have a spare oil feed here aswel and this is the same

how much oil and what type of pressure should be coming through the oil feed when its not connected to the charger

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 08:46:06 pm »
You should be getting full pressure and oil pissing like a fountain. If you can keep your finger over the pipe end when the engine's running then it looks like your oil pump is the villain. Take it easy on the revs until you're sure.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 08:46:48 pm »
i have managed to get oil to come through this now, linked it back up and it still made the sound. i changed the alternator and took it for another spin and its still the same. the only thing i have noticed is that there are 2 bushes on the engine mount that hold the alternator, mine only has 1 bush. the alternator is solid in place but im thinking that there may be a slight rattle because of this but i doubt it would make the amount of noise that the car is making. next job tomorrow is to take the charger off and put the dummy in place, if i still get the sound then i know my charger is ok. if not then i will jhave to strip the charger to inspect inside to see how much if damaged

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 08:49:38 pm »
oil was only dribbling out of the pipe, didnt even try to cover it with my finger.

i put a brand new oil pump on when rebuilding the engine. it was fitted by my mate a qualified vw mechanic

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 08:55:50 pm »
That's not right; I didn't tighten my oil feed up and lost a couple of litres over the engine bay, the drive and quite a bit of the garden within a minute.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 09:01:07 pm »
oh dear

what else can cause low oil pressure

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 09:25:17 pm »
Some kind of internal leak maybe. Camshaft bearings not tightened down sort of thing. Oil goes where it gets the least resistance. Either that or internal blockage. Try blowing back through the charger feed point on the head with an airline.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 09:37:35 pm »
there does seem to be some oil which has been leaking running down the cambelt side. will also look into this tomorrow

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2009, 11:10:48 pm »
which oil sensor hole is this pipe suppossed to be coming from as mine was linked to the blue low pressure hole but is now linked into the yellow high pressure hole and works fine now. im just trying to see if this is sorted now or whether it should be in the low pressure hole instead

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:19 am »
they usually connect to the hole closest to the cambelt end of the engine but it shouldn't really matter.