Author Topic: Is it about to die...?  (Read 10651 times)

Offline g40chris

• Members
Re: Is it about to die...?
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 06:18:37 pm »
the grinding has stopped now

i will still try to find out why its a much lower pressure at the hole near the cambelt

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2009, 10:22:16 pm »
what psi should these 2 oil pressure points be? so i can link a pressure gauge up to it and see where the problem is

Offline scotsjohn

• Members
  • Probably the oldest G driver in the Universe.
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 07:56:46 pm »
Should be about 30psi on a fast idle when warm Chris. This story reminded me about your comment in the G/Eaton-which is better thread a couple of months ago. You suspected a blocked feed then. Looks like it's still with you.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 09:20:43 pm »
yep i think i still have it

i will be blowing an air line down it this week as you suggested. so the pressure should be the same in both ports then. im deffo getting more pressure in the one which has yellow sensor on it.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 09:09:24 pm »
i thought i would take some advice and put an airline in the oil pressure sensor holes, done this for about 5 secs in each.

but now i cannot get any oil pressure at all, i have even run the car without a rocker cover on and no oil is spitting out as it should.

my mate has told me that seeing as its a brand new oil pump that it may need to be packed with vaseline first otherwise it wont create a suction. if so could this be my problem

Offline Nick_S

• Members
  • 189.6 bhp @ 8psi boost
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2009, 12:12:21 am »
They new oil pump should need priming before use. Just like a syphoning action, there needs to be liquid in there already for the flow to start.

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2009, 11:51:12 am »
i spoke to my mate who fitted it for me and he said he filled it with oil

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2009, 01:52:28 pm »
i am changing the oil filter just incse the filter is blocked at al

i have bought a new filter from vw and they say the filter is the same as the standard polo items, i have always thought that they were different and had a different micron rating

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2009, 02:32:47 pm »
no g40 filters aren't different.  I don't understand why your oil pressure warning light and buzzer wasn't kicking off if there's no oil pressure though. 

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2009, 02:44:09 pm »
i did have some oil coming through but not as much as it should be, but since blowing through the sensor holes with an air line there doesnt seem to be oil reaching the head at all. just changed the oil filter just incase it was blocked but still no oil. im starting to hate cars again, one thing after another. i know i will be happy when its all sorted but it just seems never ending at the moment.

will be taking the sump off today to see if the pick up is blocked

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »
yeah but you need good oil pressure there for the light and buzzer not to sound, makes me wonder if someone has disabled the oil pressure warning system. 

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 03:24:13 pm »
when i had the oil sensors out the light and buzzers came on. but now no oil comes through the holes at all.

the oil buzzer came on when i was driving and took it to 4000rpm for the first time

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 03:31:05 pm »
im struggling getting the sump off at the moment, dropped oil, taking all bolts holding sump in place off apart from 4 which are right underneath the driveshaft, exhaust and gearbox.

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 03:38:52 pm »
driveshaft needs to come off as does the exhaust downpipe.  For the ones under the gearbox, if you remove the bottom cover (which has a single 11mm bolt in it) then you can see the back of the flywheel.  If you have a standard flywheel then it has two cut outs in the ridge on it, rotate the engine by hand till these cut outs line up with the two sump bolts and you can just about fit a 1/4" drive socket on an extension bar up there.  If it's a lightened flywheel then it's even easier because the ridge will have been machined off altogether!

Offline g40chris

• Members
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 03:43:46 pm »
i paid aw tracksport for a lightened flywheel but it looked standard when we rebuilt the engine. the only socket set i got is 1/2 drive no wonder im struggling