Author Topic: diagnostic reader help  (Read 652 times)

Offline steveo3002

• Members
  • 91 golf g60 , 89 gti 16v , 88 breadvan
Re: diagnostic reader help
« Reply #45 on: August 01, 2018, 09:57:20 am »
im running out of ideas fast

all the bits n bobs like ecu/dizzy check out as proper gt parts ....could i have a nz loom ?  are they different /same

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2018, 02:13:03 pm »
This may sound real daft, you're an engineer I bet...!
But is there any difference taking one pluglead off at a time, and one injector lead? And have you earthed *every**thing*? Just a though because I've just got mine back under lambda control by sticking a jumplead between the battery and the exhaust..!
Dunno mate, remember, the more painful the sorting, the bigger the smile when it's sorted.!
NEAL :-)

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2018, 09:31:14 pm »
bit of success today

drove to a mates house 2 hrs away that has a gt , we swapped loads of stuff and compared wiring , nothing wrong

then tested the fuel rail /isv wiring and mine was differant , turns out my fuel pump relay although it had the same pins and diagram the pins were in a differant order , anyway another relay fitted and it hot starts every time so far

all afm are the same - not great unless tweaked so another thing proved im on the right track

idle is still a bit strange and much worse with o2 connected ...will press on now i can trust it start i can use it a bit more
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:45:54 pm by steveo3002 »

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2018, 01:26:52 pm »
Yeehaaa.! Phew yeah you can't beat having a working spare to swap bits, that's been key to my life really, copiers, laptops, the 1st mrs etc :-P... I have never seen an airflow meter on a polo so I go by your better knowledge! I've actually searched but can you just tell me what an ISV is? is it that thing on the back of the engine with a couple of pipes?

Funny but this year I have the odd trouble where I have to wiggle the wires to the fuel relay to get it to pump again...! A new relay didn't help and wiggling doesn't make it go off when I try, but sometimes it doesn't pump...

That £14 meter, I meant to send the link earlier but I've been covered eyeball deep in oil
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/14PC-Engine-Oil-Pressure-Test-Kit-Tester-Low-Oil-Warning-Devices-Garage-Car-Tool/263826779449?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648
Plumbs straight into the oil, and easily adapted for the fuel.. It's got a 500psi meter but shows enough movement to see fuel and oil...

Cool matey!
NEAL :-D

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2018, 09:48:50 pm »
isv = idle stabilizer valve...round thing under the inlet , think it opens and closes to let more air in ?

yeah weird on this relay ...to a casual glance it all matched up , dont really see how it ran with it but it did , was the last bit we checked too lol

keep it up with the vcds pics , i can try and get some soon , would be good to have a thread showing what it should or shouldnt read 

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2018, 10:55:21 pm »
[edited]Ah, ISV I didn't know there was one on the G models..! [/edit] Oh that big lump of metal round the back with the water and stuff going into it.!!

I (think) thought ours relies on the timing for idle-speed, that nice 1000rpm idle to 800rpm drop, such a noticeable effect must come from somewhere I thought.. Low compression engines are presumably easy to set the idle speed just by fixing the timing interval.? Spark it 32 times/second, that's 960RPM (2 sparks per rev), and can't be faster or slower..? Dunno, any thoughts?

Coincidental but I spent 2 minutes this afternoon with the "lead" connected and working, and then spent an hour trying to get it going again, and it's slipped into "high latency" somehow I don't know.!

I was still searching to see if there's a throttle-position change reading I can use to show me when the dodgy Wide-open switch is working in big letters, only slightly easier than going in with a meter but the way it'd be done if I was a proper bloke!! :-P

I did buy a fuel-pump-single-closing-contact relay to put in mine and could see that the other relay plug had a wire to the normally-closed too so I thought I wished I'd bought one of them instead to make it interchangeable. :-?  Maybe it's unrelated (but maybe is), mine does wait 5 seconds after turning off the ignition to shut off the (I am guessing don't quote me) ECU.. Things like the lambda heater and a footwell relay seem to go off after a delay

Cool Steve, now I know a bit more about GT's.!
Happy daze
NEAL :-D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 02:57:14 pm by NealPeal »

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2018, 11:09:01 am »
just heard back from the injector cleaning place

one inj frigged , another works but he suggests not using it

might be one step closer to sorting it  :P

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #52 on: August 10, 2018, 11:44:03 am »
YAHHEEEEE!!!! There's your fat lady warming up to sing then thanks.:-).
Electrically or mechanically dubried.? Leaking or blocked?
How much is a set, can you buy them in singles off a shelf; Or refurbish them?
Intresting  stuff!

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2018, 01:55:41 pm »
dunno whats up , the guy messaged me to say theyre in the post , prob have some report with them hopefully

i have some spares so will send them in as well £8 each to clean /test