Author Topic: diagnostic reader help  (Read 23061 times)

Offline NealPeal

• Members
  • Stupid is as stupid does
    • LightDiodeDesignsUK YouTubeChannel (Fun of all sorts)
Re: diagnostic reader help
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2018, 01:11:23 pm »
Fpin heck I've just bought a KKL lead and a 2x2 to try to get into my readings... But there's no comport activity into the machine if I "copy com4: con:" nothing gwan.. I'll check for a signal on the actual wires in a mo it's just too hot... If it is TTL serial I'll know soon I'm about to test signal voltage levels I've got loads of FTDI leads around, or could send it through one of the max 232's I've got on devboards with 9pin adapters...
But it would help if I knew the baud rate if anyone knows... I might be able to interpret the packets, I'm guessing it's like DMX with all the values in one packet but it might be nearer USB with a PID-identified packet for each...

But was this doomed to fail from the start?
I'm *struggling* to get  VWTool to install or run I've only got machines with XP XOR Usb2, not AND. The VB3 runtime being the stickler The ThreeD controls library is missing amongst others, adding it by hand has just bought more dlls missing messages..
Installing VB6 didn't help (on a windows 7 machine) but that's as far as I can go back (circa 1998)..

Any help appreciated.. The car's throwing in enough petrol to smell and blacken the plugs, and the CO sensor (after a blowtorching) goes up to .8v, but still goes into limp after about 30seconds every time...

All my best sticky-and-hot-in-Leicester regards
NEAL

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2018, 02:01:30 pm »
It's been a while but I was running VWTOOL.EXE in Linux using Wine.

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2018, 05:14:24 pm »
Cheers paul! :-) I like the idea of it but
I could run a VMware Windows 98 but it happens to screw up HyperV networking so I just won't be able to do any phone work at the time..
Even then I don't think VWTool will talk to the engine through this lead... It might well be a "canbus-only lead" I dunno, it's software (vagCom) is determined to talk to an "Interface" which I presume is a 2 way thing… It knows the port is there, but "missing interface"? There's just nothing in and out of the FTDI with engine running or not.... It's a lead that said it'll do VW Polo > 1996, but I thought a digifant was used on the MK3 but probably not...!

But if you used it, can you get me the port-speeds and other settings... Various connectors here will do serial over USB or RS232

Once it's cooled down I'll have a dig around.. There's defo FAR too much fuel going through and the O2 voltage goes up to 1v under a butane-torch and about .7v in service so I think the sensor might be OK... Or there's air getting in to the exhaust but taking every spark-lead off 1 at a time makes the engine lumpy so they're all burning I believe.
If it turns out the be the MAP sensor I'd be surprised because it still "flashy-lights" with no use of the charger, it seems time related now...

I'm gonna go out when the sun comes down and get the scope to have a look... If it's serial I can read it, it's the interpretation that might be fun.. If I'm going to interpret the packets then I could do with knowing the data stream is all correct with baud/stop/start bits etc... Just too hot to be in a car
NEAL :-)

Offline steveo3002

• Members
  • 91 golf g60 , 89 gti 16v , 88 breadvan
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2018, 07:30:36 pm »
vcds lite works fine on my laptop...struggled to get vwtool working

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2018, 09:08:52 pm »
I'll look for it when the headaches gone!!

I've been sat trying to get the driver to install that came on the VAGCom CD that came with the lead... The lead has different hardware VEN PID and Class, to the driver.inf pm the CD. Even with that edited to be the IDs of the Lead it installs but the Vagcom thing just throws an error setting it to USB and it's no longer just a comPort.. Using the MS USB-FTDI comport driver gives a port but nothing in or out and Vagcom says "Port OK, no interface"...

There's not a been on the signal line, according to Haynes it's the only signal line, so there's more to it than just recieving a bitstream so I'm gonna give up... If it needs a new o2 sensor every 10 years I doubt it but I'm just gonna blindly change that and hope...

The fuel pump makes a racket, change that after - xmas probably...
All fun when it was
NEAL :-|

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2018, 09:13:37 pm »
#Steevo, can I ask what lead you've got.. I'll buy one if I need to I've got a 2x2 already.. The KKL lead was about £9 so that can go in a box if you can help me find one I'd smile...
MANY MANY THANKS

NEAL

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2018, 11:01:42 pm »
Thanks for the pointer, VCDSlite is just the thing thank you... That's taken me to Ross-Tech and there's drivers and everything

Following actual instructions (http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/support/Knowledgebase/Article/View/23/0/how-to-install-vag-com-4091-kkl-cable-on-windows) I have found a driver, and have a plan...
There's an important line in "Have the ignition on when testing the com port", I think that might be the key...
Thanks x 10^6
NEAL

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2018, 08:31:41 am »

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2018, 01:24:25 pm »
Hello! :-)
Phew yes, thanks 100% for your help... I followed the video and then read the doc and it worked 1st time...
Interestingly it still wont' work with the supplied CD-r with VAGCom even when it works with Vcds.
It would have worked probably sooner but I was looking for something that wasn't there expecting it to work a certain way when it doesnt'. BUT IT WORKS!! I've seen numbers on the screen with interesting stuff but I need help with some interpreting the results...! BUT IT WORKS!! :-) x 10^3, thank fork.. Sooner the better..!

I've managed to find the engine load was 45% until I isopropanol'd the map sensor, magic.. but it's thrown a few fault codes around that.. Is the air-intake-thermometer part of the map sensor (which I hope is the one just back from the throttle along the plastic-pipe coming from the cooler?) They don't make them anymore at VW, I've found one for a lot of money...

Can I be cheeky and ask for some pointers... I'm not a mechanic but I can read machines.. There's a temperature sensor at -11degrees I think is the problem, but not saying a lot about what it is. I'll register the software if it's free, but it's not having anymore of my money until I get back...

Cool matey, always an honour... If you're anywhere near Derby I'm up that way at a Bar-One comedy all-dayer… Come and get that drink off me!

NEAL :-)

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2018, 09:08:46 am »
I think vwtool needs a /really/ old lead.  The one I used had an rs232 connector, not even usb.

The map sensor is inside the ECU, I think you're talking about the CO pot & air intake temp sensor.  It's normal to get a crazy reading from the air inlet temp sensor, for some reason the software never decodes it properly.  See here:

https://www.polog40.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=213.0

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2018, 09:47:56 am »
Phew!!! Sorry this is a bit long! Cheers Paul, nice one!
I managed to realise I'd got the wrong sensor-name too, I always get it wrong...! Youre right, it's the co/temp sensot, 220quid of it!

I got vcdsLite going :-D  (thanks SteeveO!) but I don't know what is which temperate/voltage/etc exactly, is there a list of what I sould see on here..? I think bank 1-3 are the same as 4-6 (dyou know what I mean?), and I can interpret most (grounding the O2 sensor showed which voltage changed)

It is clever it uses only one line for comms, there's not many 1 wire protocols it can can't be.. I'm thinking "modified open drain/source I2c"... now I've got some activity I will have a look with the scope..

The o2 sensor never goes above 0.4v, except with a blowtorch on it, dyou recon lambda or injectors or pump? Guessing injector-on-time is trying to get the lambda to rise and it's not?

Any of your experience is a great help, thanks! Nothing worse than being alone with a machine that doesn't work! (but it starts and runs lovely but fills the air with the smell of petrol!!)
Wahey, how dyou get to the moon, one step at a time..
Neal

I go away for a bit on Thursday, I'm gonna order a lambda sensor anyway!)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 10:53:38 pm by NealPeal »

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2018, 08:54:24 pm »
list from the link above

•523   Intake air temp sensor
•521   CO Fuel Trim Pot
•522   Engine coolant Temp sender
•519   Manfold absolute pressure sensor
•537   Oxygen sensor regulation
•525   Oxygen sensor
•524   Knock sensor

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2018, 11:03:17 pm »
Perfect, thanks Steeve I think one of these will be the code for the "intermittent unknown fault" it keeps throwing, (while the engine is running).. Mentioned "out of bounds" or something somewhere...

I'm interested too in the measure-bars, any chance you can send the jist of what values you get on yours' (blocks 1 to 3)  too see if any of mine are well out? I've worked a few out (the o2 sensor value is on there as a voltage.) I can see some are ignition and injector timing etc, but some just say voltage..

My best thanks, appreciate the help a lot... We'll meet  one day I hope, I'll get you a nice drink for this info!
NEAL

Offline steveo3002

• Members
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2018, 08:19:55 am »
yeah can note down some readings if and when mine runs properly

would be good info for a faq...hot and cold stats for a well running gt and g40

still waiting on postman to deliver the next batch of faulty parts lol

Offline NealPeal

• Members
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2018, 12:10:21 pm »
Right I'm getting a fault "intermittent 07683", any ideas how that fits into the "•523-Intake air temp sensor - •521-CO Fuel …." etc? I've looked at converting it to and from Hex but it's not close...

I ordered a new O2 sensor yesterday, might even be here today... For £15 it's worth a try...

I'll post a screenshot of running values if it ever works.. It's funny but vcdsL doesn't show a fault-code when the engine light starts flashing, but after a minute running or two flashed up with the 07683.. The light flashes but there's no beeping....

Yeah you'll get your car fixed I hope... They're worth it
Bestest's
NEAL