Author Topic: G40 Cup Sprint/Hillclimb Car  (Read 23649 times)

Offline Ian Johnson

Re: G40 Cup Sprint/Hillclimb Car
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 10:15:05 am »
Refitted the front end and rear arches

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 10:25:12 am »
Change to my Race Calendar for 2017 as I have switched from the MSA speed championships to the Javelin Sprint series as it fits in much better with what I have going on. The Championship consists of 8 rounds and I will be running in class A3 which is Race Modified production cars up to 2000cc with the forced induction calculator.

Will be a bit of a learning curve circuit wise as I have only ever been to Anglesey Circuit out of the 8 venues. Maybe if your not busy on any of the below dates then pop along and have a watch/chat.

Round 1
 Snetterton 300
 26th March

Round 2
 Blyton Park (Outer)
 16th April

Round 3
 Kendrew Barracks
 21st May

Round 4
 Croft
 25th June

Round 5
 Blyton Park (Eastern)*
 23rd July

Round 6
 Anglesey
 19th August

Round 7
 Woodbridge*
 10th September

Round 8
 Cadwell Park*
 22nd October
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:05:17 pm by Ian Johnson »

Offline Fifress

• Members
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2017, 11:00:31 am »
Must be a blast
Get a camera and started recording onboards!

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 02:04:11 pm »
I will do

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2017, 06:08:07 pm »
Made my headlight blanks today, car is now ready for 1st test day at Anglesey Circuit next Sunday.......looking forward to seeing how she does

« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:21:01 pm by Ian Johnson »

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 04:57:44 pm »
1st Test day yesterday at Anglesey Coastal Circuit, the G40 was much quicker than I expected. no issues all day and was lapping in the 1:22 bracket which on a very cold windy day for me was excellent.

Next test day is oulton park on the 24th Feb if anyone wants to see a G40 on track :)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 04:59:30 pm by Ian Johnson »

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 05:00:29 pm »
side shot

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 07:52:55 am »
Good days work done on the race car in prep for 2nd test day on Friday at Oulton Park.

Interior stripped and painted.
Exhaust tightened.
Lap timer relocation.
Levels checked/topped up.
Oil catch can emptied/cleaned.
Spark plugs changed.
Bonnet pins thread locked after coming loose at Anglesey.
Car washed and wheels degreased  after blown gearbox oil seal plastered them lol

Before and after pics

« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 07:56:44 am by Ian Johnson »

Offline hardchargin40

• Members
  • Older, Wiser, Greyer.
    • The Roadster.net
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2017, 08:01:48 pm »
Great to see this still about and being put to good use.  Last I saw it had just been sold as a shell to a lad in Nottingham (probably Richard I'd guess then).  I was gutted as I would have bought it as it was a very short notice sale, I remember turning up at Johns with it just being trailered away.    I used to pitcrew for Andy B for the VW Cup and TRC SE.   Andy B moved onto to building a Corrado 2.0T full on race car to compete against Rod Birley in the TRC but as far as I'm aware the project got shelved.  Peter Studer created that suspension, via his work at Multimatics, it was honed to perfection! His experience and speed took that car to numerous still unbroken lap records!!   

I thought Andy sold it with the modified Track Control Arms/subframe made by John and the Lloyd Allard made intercooler, they must have been removed I take it?

8)

Offline Ross36

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 05:22:13 am »
This thing is awesome, do like a white coupe!

Any more info on the brake setup?

Also that's a pretty impressive power figure, what's the specs on the engine?

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 07:03:02 am »
Brake setup is Willwoods 4 pots with 280mm AP Bells and disks. 15 x 7 ET12 front ET25 rear Compomotive MO wheels

Engine spec is fully forged 1341cc fully lightened and balanced, knife edged crank, Baffled sump, BV head, Shrick cam, GT inlet,  R1 Jabba ported/polished charger, 278cc injectors, remapped. ATV Cup gearbox with Gemini plated Diff 4:44 ratio and paddle clutch.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 03:26:39 pm by Ian Johnson »

Offline randombadger69

• Members
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2017, 08:18:50 am »
Great work, nice to see a cup car getting some use. Will try and get over to Snett on the 26th as its local for me; would be good to see a G pacing round with some bigger cars.

Great to see this still about and being put to good use.  Last I saw it had just been sold as a shell to a lad in Nottingham (probably Richard I'd guess then).  I was gutted as I would have bought it as it was a very short notice sale, I remember turning up at Johns with it just being trailered away.    I used to pitcrew for Andy B for the VW Cup and TRC SE.   Andy B moved onto to building a Corrado 2.0T full on race car to compete against Rod Birley in the TRC but as far as I'm aware the project got shelved.  Peter Studer created that suspension, via his work at Multimatics, it was honed to perfection! His experience and speed took that car to numerous still unbroken lap records!!   

I thought Andy sold it with the modified Track Control Arms/subframe made by John and the Lloyd Allard made intercooler, they must have been removed I take it?

8)

Maybe that's where the Allard cooler came from on my G? I've not seen another.

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2017, 10:19:20 am »
For info Modified TCA's are still fitted. Do you have a pic of the allard intercooler?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 10:21:56 am by Ian Johnson »

Offline Ian Johnson

« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2017, 11:44:27 am »
2nd Test at Oulton park on the 24th Feb went pretty well doing best laps of 2:09 which in damp/wet I was pretty happy with considering I was on semi slicks. the day was cut short again at 2pm due to increasingly bad brake judder.

few laps at Oulton not the best as brake judder was pretty bad and conscious thoughts of ball joint failure lol

On inspection yesterday I found the inner front pads had worn over the lower edge/casting of the custom discs/bells. Willwoods weren't designed for my car and pad shape is not quite right and as it has worn it was rubbing on the rough casting of the brake disc. i'v now cut the pads down so hopefully that issue is solved. Also found the supercharger toothed pully stretched.......new one brought from Pete and fitted, sounds awesome and whinny again now lol.

Offline pettsy

• Members
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2017, 10:33:31 pm »
Could there possibly be a case of mistaken identity in the history of your car Ian? I've recently been chatting with the owner of the no40 car and its parked in the corner of his workshop in bits!