Author Topic: Trials and tribulations of a cheap G40  (Read 70345 times)

Offline physicsfool

• Members
Re: Trials and tribulations of a cheap G40
« Reply #165 on: March 07, 2017, 10:49:48 am »
So since its MOT I have been for a few blasts and also washed it for the first time in a long while

Still have the CL badge on, needs swapping over

Even drove it to work one day

Also fitted the rear seats and belts so now it can carry multiple passengers again. Need to find my red tape for the bumpers. and finish the dash wiring

I got bored of looking at the spare engine, so plan is to build this one back up. Was told it is low mileage 77K and looks in good nick. But not taking any chances, so doing the oil pump and waterpump/belt

Plus I am going to need an engine for mk1 when i finally get the shell sorted.

Offline Rich_Royal

• Members
« Reply #166 on: March 11, 2017, 10:03:48 am »
looks good man, you keeping the mk1 now? I saw it on ebay a few weeks ago...

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #167 on: April 10, 2017, 01:04:33 pm »
Rich, I saw sense and am keeping it. But popped it into a mates barn this week as a longer term storage option until i can afford to get started properly

But in other news I have finally got round to sorting some of the trim as it was such a nice weekend

Clean the door and rear quarter, got plenty of funny looks as I was wielding a hairdryer

But happy with how it has come out. Just need to sort the gutter trim and give it all a good clean and treat the plastic as its all shades of grey

Offline Martyng40

« Reply #168 on: April 10, 2017, 02:22:58 pm »
What you treating your plastic with???? Mines is all shades too but cause mines is black looks so much worse.... still got lots of work to do but a marathon not a sprint

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #169 on: April 10, 2017, 03:36:25 pm »
Got some autoglym bumper and trim gel as it was on offer. But there is a thread in the bodywork section that outlines a load of options

Offline ereeiz

• Members
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2017, 12:16:27 pm »
https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Automotive/Forever-Black-Bumper-Trim-Cleaner-Reconditioner-Dye/B001MPY436

Unbelievable! wipe it on, done. No residue or faffing. Lasts a few years, truly is a "wonder" product. Only £15ish and a bottle will do a Polo a few times over, you can also use it on anything else black plastic I believe, possibly tyres too

Offline Rich_Royal

• Members
« Reply #171 on: April 12, 2017, 06:01:05 pm »
yeh I use autoglym stuff these days but I don't know how well it will actually restore the trim that is already faded...it might be worth getting some boiled linseed oil to try and bring them back to black first or that stuff ereeiz has recommended if the autoglym doesnt work, depends how much you care (probably not that much knowing you haha)...

still looks a ton better already as it is, also loving the random bench...

keep us posted on the mk1 Martin if you ever get started on it.

Offline kwijibo_coupe

• Members
« Reply #172 on: April 13, 2017, 03:38:35 am »
I recently tried some stuff called Gtechniq C4 on my plastics and it is the best stuff I've ever used!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/C4-Permanent-Trim-Restorer-0-015/dp/B00IOMDUN0/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1492050788&sr=1-1&keywords=Gtechniq+C4

Unlike most trim 'restore' products that are nothing more than a dye which leave a finish which is just too shiny and comes off in the next wash, this C4 stuff actually seems to be absorbed by the plastic and the finish is a lot more natural looking.

Before:

After:

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2017, 10:45:46 am »
Well its been a busy few months and lots has happened...

Firstly I picked up some speedlines off Gaz and proceeded to get them painted in satin silver

Final product:

Which I am very happy with.

I also washed and polished the car for pretty much the first time. Treated the trim as well

Lots of time and pretty labour intensive. But like the results

I also bought one of the repo rear badges off eBay, pretty chuffed with how they look

and finishes the car off nicely

However no sooner had i cleaned and driven it, someone offered me money for it.... It took me a few days to come to a decision. But after 4 years of G40 ownership I decided I would focus on the mk1 i bought last year instead. My aim was always to rebuild an engine and hopefully get it to run. So time to do that all over again, this time with a different car. As I am no welder or painter, I will be getting someone else to do those parts. But the engine is once again my domain.....so time to decide whats going in it....

Offline Rich_Royal

• Members
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2017, 08:58:55 pm »
Bit of a shame Martin but well done on finishing it off, it looks really good in those last few pics,

good luck with the Mk1 mate, hope to see it running one day.