Author Topic: Yoof's Turbo  (Read 211402 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Yoof's Turbo
« Reply #555 on: July 09, 2018, 05:13:47 pm »
Yeah spaceframe would make it a load easier in some respects, but it would 100% snowball into different suspension design etc. I've got to be realistic about what I can DIY, anything else more serious the money is better spent on a Radical IMO

Never sold the bolt on bumper bar, not sure there's enough demand? I could always look at doing a small run.

Golf is a 1.4TFSi with DSG, it's got some orange cables and an e-machine bolted on too for low CO2, so it still goes bang bang occasionally  ;) :D

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #556 on: July 17, 2018, 08:47:44 am »
#shouldhaveboughtagolf

can't wait to see this finished though yoof, it's going to be mega.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #557 on: July 17, 2018, 09:42:58 pm »
Yeah, tell me about it!

I've finished the gearshift mount and dropped the ATL tank back in, along with lining the alternator up  ;D

Untitled by Peter Strange, on Flickr

Boost pipes have arrived - and hopefully some bits will be finished in the machine shop soon, pushing to get the wishbones done in the next few weeks.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #558 on: August 16, 2018, 10:03:00 pm »
Update time - I got a package from Adam at Noath Engineering who kindly made me some light bulbs to my spec... :thumb:

These are bearing housings for some NMB high misalignment bearings, I debated with Gurds going 5/8th or 3/4" - ultimately decided on 3/4" even if it was over engineered, a Lola T70 uses the same part... which has slicks as wide as my car :lol:

IMG_8460 by Peter Strange, on Flickr

I then glued the following together:

And did a little test fit with the drop pins, I'd made these longer than I knew I needed, and had a few pairs done just so I can play with ride heights:

I then whipped the subframe off, and fabricated two 10mm bridging sections so I could cut the longitudinal tubes on the subframe to give clearance for the tension strut:

With the wishbones in place and tubes lopped off it looks like this:

I then bolted it back on the car, and pushed it outside (until it pissed it down):

I need to do some tweaking on the machined items, one of the bearing houses is more interference fit than i'd like and is binding:

Also under full droop on lock the castle nut binds on the housing slightly, I need to reduce the effective length of the drop pin by 20mm, so I can fit some additional misalignment spacers and kill two birds with one stone:

It's also running 12.5' castor at the moment, so I need to dial that back slightly! I'm certain you can have too much of a good thing :chin:

Still, it's on 4 wheels which is a milestone, I don't have steering arms yet, but this means I can get it out the garage as we've moving house in a few weeks

Cheers

Pete

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #559 on: August 19, 2018, 07:11:01 pm »
Got the reduced drop pins back from the machine shop, so stuck them on and dug out the windscreen and other panels, then pushed it outside.

Currently running some interesting geometry...

Apart from bolting a few bits back in, this is about as far as I will get for a while. It's going off to have the inlet system fabricated and a few other bits of TIG welding completed that I can't do at home.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Weeman

• Members
« Reply #560 on: August 19, 2018, 07:22:20 pm »
I love this work so much! Can’t wait to see it all finished and running.

Quick question as I can’t find the info in the post anymore, but what wheel studs you using? Looking at fitting a set on my car and looking at TRS kit.

Any recommendations?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #561 on: August 19, 2018, 08:37:06 pm »
Thanks, these are M14 ones from Design 911 - I've used ones from Rally Nuts previously, just make sure they're a rolled thread with a decent shoulder to tighten against  :)

Offline physicsfool

• Members
« Reply #562 on: August 24, 2018, 09:01:19 am »
Awesome project coming together nicely

Offline Raw

• Members
  • It ain't dubbin 'less her thighs are rubbin'
« Reply #563 on: August 31, 2018, 01:16:01 pm »
Dude, I've only been gone 2 weeks and you go and stick more wacky tin plate on! I think you need more adult company. Stay away from Dave and get more fresh air! Hope you calm down soon.

;)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #564 on: April 16, 2019, 08:47:16 pm »
So I collected this at the weekend, garage was cleared of crap so it had some place warm and dry to live in.

It's been away having a few parts TIG welded, namely the inlet manifold, boost pipes, exhaust/downpipe and manifold modified.

Boost pipes have been built to eliminate as many silicone joiners as possible, and house 1/8NPT bosses for a variety of transducers & thermocouples:

Tial BOV welded on fairly close to the compressor housing:

Inlet manifold was then fabricated, I wanted this to use a larger VR6 throttle body, but still retain the standard AGU runners and injector bosses (and critically angle) so I can use a stock fuel rail and FPR.

Final piece was to modify the Nortech manifold - slightly annoying as they position the wastegate so it clashes with the gearshift cables, I'd ask for a small flexible section to be welded onto the dump tube, this hasn't been done so I'm half expecting it to crack, but time will tell:

I'm also going back to the drawing board regarding steering rack/arms brickwall

All for now!

Pete

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #565 on: April 17, 2019, 08:58:33 am »
It looks fast anyway

how come you're re-thinking the steering rack & arms arrangement?

(#shouldveboughtagolf)

Offline MST

« Reply #566 on: January 01, 2023, 10:28:36 pm »
Amazing project, hope it’s still going  :)