Author Topic: Yoof's Turbo  (Read 212004 times)

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
Re: Yoof's Turbo
« Reply #360 on: March 26, 2014, 06:04:55 pm »
Turbo has a fair amount of clearance really, but depends on your manifold/turbo config.

The G60 would sit below the front panel, and the alternator the other side of the block- so you'd actually get around the lader more easily.

Chassis leg a the moment has just been cut, no cleaning of it yet, I won't do that anyway (will go to our subframe chap) as he is a much neater welder than me! I will mock the engine mounts up though and check driveshaft angles.

Chassis leg will have CDS reinforcement, although I've got to be mindful of MSA regs if I want to compete. The subframe is really key to this working.

My handbrake is well serviced and doesn't drag  ;) Although I can't get to Stanford Park, might go to GTi Fest if the weather is decent.

Cheers

Pete

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #361 on: March 26, 2014, 08:45:09 pm »
Thats good news then! :) i need to see some g60 build threads but i cant find anything! i mean thats the first ive heard you need to put the alternator at the back, would be like a 16v g60

i thought it would be, ill definitely be going stage 3, i never noticed how much bigger and thicker the stage 3 is over stage 2 until i was looking at jezza and my car side by side

CDS? like cd's?

ok mate, cheers for that :) ill stop asking questions until its finalized and done :) if i do go down this route it wont be until next winter so gives me from now till then to get everything right with what i need to do

Lucky you! mines not! always seizing! needs a good seeing to with a... um... hammer to free them..... :(

nah i wont be, tax man bum raped me so cant afford it :( i went to a gti fest late last year and it was poop :(

Thanks dude
Taylor

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2014, 02:23:27 pm »
Might see you at gti fest if your going to april and weather is good.

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #363 on: May 29, 2014, 10:33:27 pm »
Nothing much to update as I've been busy with other cars, managed a few hours on it this week, started to mock the A-mount up, and engine/box are currently in a position I'm fairly happy with.

So, take some sheet steel, some CDS, grinder and file and one of these:

Give yu a load of random shaped pieces of metal:

In situ looks something like this:

Currently looking at which MIG to buy, then I'll start welding pieces back in, rather than chopping them out  ;D

Offline Tav

• Members
« Reply #364 on: May 31, 2014, 07:27:31 am »
Epic work.

On the hole tolerance side of things we were always told to drill undersize and use a reamer to achieve accurate hole size?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #365 on: May 31, 2014, 09:52:53 am »
Epic work.

On the hole tolerance side of things we were always told to drill undersize and use a reamer to achieve accurate hole size?

Yup- in my case though no matter what the drill (or slot drill or reamer) the play in the headstock of the drill, and me setting it up is the biggest inaccuracy  :)

Offline scully

• Members
« Reply #366 on: August 15, 2014, 07:23:09 am »

Adapter Plate Design
When designing the adapter plate there were several key considerations to think about:
-   Differential positioning remained the same for 085 and 02J installations, this gives the inboard CV joints sensible articulation, and does not necessitate the need to alter suspension geometry
-   Gearbox installation angle to be the same in the Polo as per Golf

The first consideration makes sense to me, because you want to keep the driveshaft angles as straight as possible right?
But why does the gearbox need to be in de same angle as it is in the original car?

Also, do you have any updates on this project? Since I am following this with great interest.  ;)

Offline runforrestrun

• Members
« Reply #367 on: August 15, 2014, 09:34:02 am »
Surely to keep the oil level sitting in it's original orientation and preventing oil starvation of the gearsets?

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #368 on: August 18, 2014, 02:11:45 pm »
Surely to keep the oil level sitting in it's original orientation and preventing oil starvation of the gearsets?

Correct- also it means I can use as many standard box parts as possible (shift linkages etc), I don't have details of the original installation tolerance on the 02 boxes, so not sure what I can get away with.

I do however know engines a little more than gearboxes, and thankfully have several V configurations around me to reference when canting my engine over.

Not many updates recently, been busy with another car. Will get back on this soon!

Lots of people have been in touch about adapter plates- I will be doing some (a very short run) but only when I'm happy with the position on my car.

Cheers

Pete

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #369 on: August 18, 2014, 03:50:46 pm »
You need a thread about the other weapon as well man, when you do a run of those plates let me know, i'd like to have one!

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #370 on: August 18, 2014, 05:21:11 pm »
You need a thread about the other weapon as well man
That'll come in due course once we've got a bit more sorted on it!

Offline P1rik

• Members
« Reply #371 on: September 10, 2014, 11:30:37 pm »
Hi Sri to be a pain but Where did you get your arches from because I baught a set but they don't fit very well at all
Thanks

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #372 on: September 12, 2014, 12:05:40 pm »
Hi Sri to be a pain but Where did you get your arches from because I baught a set but they don't fit very well at all
Thanks

Hi,

Genuine WL Motorsport items designed for the Mk3, all the other (cheaper) copies don't fit as well. They needed some tweaking as I've also got GRP front wings, and my rear 1/4 had an argument with a barrier at Oulton  ;D

Cheers

Pete

Offline P1rik

• Members
« Reply #373 on: September 12, 2014, 06:47:01 pm »
Cheers Pete

I have tried to get in contact with the before but had no luck  on reply how did u get hold of them

Thanks mat

Offline Yoof

• Traders
  • I know naathing..
    • Polo Performance Parts
« Reply #374 on: September 14, 2014, 11:32:49 am »
E-mailed them- they speak very good English, there's also a phone number on their site  :)