Author Topic: PSD Eaton kit re-run  (Read 25274 times)

juan

Re: PSD Eaton kit re-run
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2009, 08:24:05 pm »
Sounds like things are ticking along nicely Juan?

Yeah ive made a fair bit of progress but there's quite alot more to it than is apparent, it will probably take a bit longer than expected but i want to get the kit spot on :)

I would update in more detail but i don't think anyone wants to hear about radius this, intersection that, tolerances, etc etc
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 08:30:36 pm by juan »

Offline wozzaG40

• Members
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2009, 08:57:47 pm »
I am listening  ;D (not that i will understand it all but crack on)

juan

« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2009, 09:28:25 pm »
lol ok if you really want to know, the parts that make up the psd toothed pulley were a bit of a mix up ie the oil seal is metric standard size and the bearing imperial standard size but im going to change this so it is all done using one standard.

But i did get the raduis's on the plate near enough spot on from my intial drawing :)

Also i hate windows vista as it likes fucking up auto cad :(

Offline poloeatonm45

• Members
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 11:24:48 pm »
nice to know this is still happening keep us all updated

steven

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2009, 10:08:12 pm »
good work matey. Good to see a kit once they're done. Mine should be on shortly ;-)

Offline sohailG40

• Members
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2009, 10:56:49 pm »
all his hard work will be paying of soon look how much ppl are intrested in the kit
once finished hes gonna be a millionair lol  ;D ;D

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2009, 03:44:44 pm »
Sure will considering how much PSD kits change hands for these days!

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2009, 09:09:41 pm »
Jaun I am yet to work out how the PSD kit chews belts but it would be nice if you could rectify the problems.

juan

« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2009, 09:26:51 pm »
Jaun I am yet to work out how the PSD kit chews belts but it would be nice if you could rectify the problems.

Yeah that is a bit of a concern and its one of the reasons im going to take a bit longer developing these to get them right.
Ive got an idea for making the support brace/bar do its job better.

Ive got to look at vibration of the pulley as if its taking 30bhp to spin the eaton and the pulley is rotating pretty damn fast then the pulley needs to be machined really spot on and needs to be really acurately lined up. I did enquire about aqua cutting for the pulleys but it leaves lots of small abbrasive particles embeded in the surface layer which would be a no no for the belts.

I think the basic design is a good'un it just needs refining (increase stability, cut down on vibrations bothing concerning the mounting hardware and the moving parts, the pulleys needs to be as accurate as possible (steve used a broaching tool to create his but im currently looking into pulley stock)

Any more Q's or suggestions fire away :)

Offline vwmk3jon

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2009, 04:24:05 pm »
I'm not sure quite yet about the mounting of the charger but couldn't little rubber washers or something along those lines be used to cut down on vibration on the charger?

Offline giorgio

• Members
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 01:33:35 pm »
I'm not sure quite yet about the mounting of the charger but couldn't little rubber washers or something along those lines be used to cut down on vibration on the charger?

You have 2 issues with the eaton.

1) its attached to the engine and therefore rocks
2) It just 'hangs' in place and there is nothing to brace it.

Rubber washers will just flex too much and make it unstable

juan

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 04:38:50 pm »

You have 2 issues with the eaton.

1) its attached to the engine and therefore rocks
2) It just 'hangs' in place and there is nothing to brace it.

Rubber washers will just flex too much and make it unstable

I hear what your saying giorgio, can't have rubber washers as they'd allow even more movement of the eaton.

Well what im thinking is to use other bit of the engine mount which is located where the eatons water pump used to be and on to this mount place some type of rubber bung and clamp, with this area not be a mounting point for the charger it could be used to take away some of the vibrations and at the same time adding a small amount of stability ;)

juan

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2009, 07:47:35 pm »
Update :)

Ive had a couple of people messaging me lately asking for spec and price and i have replied to them with a rough spec and price which is by no means final.
Anyway i thought id post up the rough spec and price for everyone to see :) but can everyone bear in mind that this spec and price is not final its just an estimation.

im hoping to do the kit for around £650.
This would include:

#Crank and alternator pulleys
#Appropriate htd toothed belt
#Stainless steel fitting brackets
# All necesary bearings and oil seals
# Machined micro belt tensioner
#Main belt tensioner
# 2 custom htd charger pulleys (1 1bar and another the original psd spec(230bhp+) )
#PSD ecu chip
#Bracing brackets/bar
#Air filter + adaption kit for the eaton outlet.
#Radiator lowering bar.

(i may have missed something out as ive just put this list down off the top of my head )

Please please please bear in mind this price is only an estimation and also the specification is not final as ive got alot of work/reasearch/price gathering to do on the kit before its ready.

The price could be a bit more than what ive said there but it also could be a bit less but i can't say for definate until i have a final specification and know exactly how much everything is going to cost to get put together and get machined etc.

Opinions welcome and constructive criticism are allways welcome.

Offline Richg40

• Members
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2009, 08:12:42 pm »
I'm interested but it has to be simple and reliable.

juan

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2009, 08:18:00 pm »
I'm interested but it has to be simple and reliable.

Its pretty simple to be honest, here's some pics of Giorgio's eaton kit on his car:

As for reliability the eaton charger is a sealed unit with a service life of 100k+ miles :)