Author Topic: Paddle clutches and pedal boxes  (Read 6864 times)

Offline z3i

• Members
Paddle clutches and pedal boxes
« on: March 05, 2013, 09:24:37 pm »
Hi all. have had a few problems with my car. when i bought it, it came with a helix paddle clutch, which as you would expect is stupidly heavy. my pedal box was completely standard.

now... ive just sorted the clutch and checked the pedal box out. its fecked in the ass! has a massive crack down the left 90 degree corner that has splayed out. started to crack around the spot welds. it has also ripped the back stud out. meaning when i put my clutch down it rubs on the steering column and is pretty fucking dangerous! the brake pedal moves about half and inch sideways when i press the clutch. the biting point is on the floor even though i have a new clutch

what im trying to point out to anyone wanting to fit a paddle clutch is you NEED to uprate other components to take up the stress of heavy clutch

The mounting stud at the back needs to be welded around it to prevent it from ripping out.
around the spot welds on the box needs to be stitch welded as well as the left 90 degree bend.
all moving parts need to be greased (bushes etc) as mine where dry and now destroyed because of it
a genuine clutch cable needs to be used as the crappy gsf ones will snap at the plastic hook end or squash the rubber part on the gearbox side. (though these a perfectly fine for standard clutches, just not over heavy paddle types)
ensure the spring is on the gearbox clutch arm is there. as if it isnt it will cause the clutch arm to wear excessively fast

dont bother using a paddle clutch if you haven't done these as you'll just end up destroying the pedal box as mine did
hope this helps anyone wanting to fit one
Taylor
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 09:28:11 pm by z3i »

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
Re: Paddle clutches and pedal boxes
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2013, 10:15:50 am »
With G40's getting ever older and more and more of them being 'powered up', it is very worth while bringing this to peoples attention. A total pedal box fail at the wrong time could be horrific.

I believe that the pedal boxes are know for showing similar or the same symtons as you describe in your post. I wonder if all of these have had paddle clutches fitted at some point. Would be interesting to know. I know my pedal box was in perfect working order when i removed it but mine was as good as totally standard!

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2013, 08:42:58 pm »
Has anyone else had this issue, as I've just got a paddle clutch for mine and have access availble for the mentioned mods

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:02:45 am »
I think if you have a stiffer clutch (doesn't matter if it's a paddle or not - more to do with the spring levers on the cover plate) then it will happen sooner or later.  Mine is starting to go, one job I need to do before getting it back on the road is to sort the pedal box out.  Ideally I want to rip it out and replace with a pedal box with a balance bar and hydraulic clutch.

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 05:33:34 pm »
mine went bang - then it went hydro!

Offline jez1272gt

• Members
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 12:45:23 pm »
yeah hydraulic is the way forward, especially if you are going to put in a pedal box. how have you set up the slave cylinder arrangment on the box youngprodigys??

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 03:47:46 pm »
Ive never taken any photos - im sure some sharks have been in and photoed the hell out of it at shows - we can wait for them to turn up with the pics. its to cold to go out and get them at the minute

Offline hayesey

• Administrators
  • The CV joint killer
    • ClubG40
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 04:24:22 pm »
others I've seen have used 6n parts on the box and a "motorsport" type pedal box.

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 08:30:26 pm »
Well ive now got a standard clutch, everything gearbox and clutch related is greased up. new pedal box that has been stitch welded and re welded the top stud. has been in a day and its already creaking and flexing
im gonna have to fork out and go hydro
standard box is really weak design, the clutch is light as a feather as well
Taylor

Offline Jezza-7

• Members
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 08:55:35 pm »
Wish i had taken some pics of yours now kiz.

Deffo in the books to do this.

something like this?

http://www.cncbrakes.com/hcpp.asp?grp=hcpp&subgrp=all&series=350&subseries=
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 09:00:32 pm by Jezza-7 »

Offline Andy

• Traders
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 09:36:43 pm »
Well ive now got a standard clutch, everything gearbox and clutch related is greased up. new pedal box that has been stitch welded and re welded the top stud. has been in a day and its already creaking and flexing
Taylor
Is your bulkhead okay? I thought that my pedal box was fucked, but actually it was the bulkhead that'd split instead...

Offline z3i

• Members
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 09:48:13 pm »
Taylor
Is your bulkhead okay? I thought that my pedal box was fucked, but actually it was the bulkhead that'd split instead...

just had a look. it looks ok, the flex is in the box itself. just doesn't seem strong enough and moves around when the clutch/brake pedal is pressed. its as if it needs some bracing welded into the box

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2013, 02:10:50 pm »
my first mod to my g40 when i got the car was a bracket which goes over the steering rack bit and has an arm coming off it going to the pedal box to give it more support - il will go and dig it out and post some photos - il even get some of my hydro clutch.

Offline Etches

• Members
  • Still got the G...
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2013, 05:22:16 pm »
cheers Kiz that would be great :)

Offline youngprodigys

• Members
  • G 3URO
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2013, 12:44:57 pm »
sorry for the delay in photos - ive not been very well the last 3 days so ive had to rest instead of braving the snow. il get them tonight now im back at work again.