Author Topic: Ideal wheel size  (Read 4746 times)

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
Ideal wheel size
« on: November 19, 2008, 08:04:20 am »
Hi guys n girls

Just wanted to know what would be the idea wheel size for a g40??

so dont wanna loose traction by just spinning as there to small.. and dont wanna loose out on acceleration coz there to big..

whats the ideal size?? height and width?

cheers guys

J

Offline SamG40

• Administrators
  • Take.... on.... me....
Re: Ideal wheel size
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 10:24:19 am »
Having had 13's 14's and 15's on G's I now run the standard 13's. I like the way the car feels like its on tip toes and feels very light on its feet.

The thing that affected it most for me was the wheel weight, another advantage of the standard BBS is they are very light, only problem with them is you cant fit the 256's under them. All personal preference though of course imo.

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 06:25:21 pm »
im running 13s at the mo.. but ti just feels the cars slipping under hard acceleration from 1st to 3rd.. so ia ssumed i needed something bigger...

Offline supercharged spaniel

• Members
  • GRRRRRRR
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 06:55:08 pm »
i havent tried any other wheels but i have the standard 13's and  have had a variation of tyres over the years on them   and tyre choice seems to make a big difference. i used to get quite a bit of wheel spin with the yokos but seem to get less  with the toyos i have up front now... perfect size looks wise i think are 14's though imo
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 11:02:59 pm by supercharged spaniel »

Offline breadman

• Members
  • mk2 breadvan 1341 turbo sleeper (currently snoring
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:11:01 pm »
Personally, I think 6 x 14 wheels are big enough - ideally fitted with 185/50 tyres.
You can fit wider wheels, but the G40 is very light and the front suspension layout is what limits grip as opposed to wheel/tyre size.
Wheel offset is very important too, ET38 to 33 is ideal. It really doesn't help having the wheels sticking out too far, because it increases tramlining, the effect of torque steer, tyres scrubbing arches and more load/wear on wheel bearings etc etc.
I'd keep away from ultra low profile/very stiff sidewall tyres stretched onto wide wheels too, the lightweight Polo will just skip about on them on anything other than perfectly smooth roads (do they even exist?!)
I still think there is a lot to be said for the standard 5 1/2 x 13 wheel when fitted with decent quality 175/60/13 tyres.

Offline Max

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 08:48:34 am »
I have tried quite a few different wheel sizes and I personally like the standard G40 BBS with 175/60s, the only downside is that with a lowered car (H&R) 13s can make it a bit low to the ground.

Offline SpikeyG40

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 04:50:31 pm »
I don't have as much info as the above statements, but what i will say is that i've had 15" wheels on a mk3 and i wouldn't have them again.   OK, so they looked good, but the ride was very harsh and it caused no end of problems with scrubbing.

If/when i get a second G40, i would certainly be looking into some 14's.

Offline dubpolishers

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 08:11:38 am »
Mines on a polo 6n2... but its stil a G loool...

13s leave me an inch of the ground and bumps are a no no... so maybe 14s..